Stuck around 122

Options
I started at like 126 and did the 1200 calorie diet plus some running. The first two weeks I lost 2 pounds a week but I've been stuck at 122 for the past week and a half. I've read in some place to increase my calories, is that true?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No, it isn't true. Wait it out and if you don't lose after another week, tighten up your logging.

How old and how tall are you?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. Weight loss is not linear especially if you don't have a lot to lose. Water gain and loss, which happens to us all day long, can mask small fat losses. Keep doing what you're doing and as long as you're truly eating at a deficit, the scale will eventually reflect it.

You might want to take a hard look at your real goal, though. Is it really a smaller number on the scale (which only you can see) or is it to be smaller and firmer? If the latter, you might look into strength training and body recomposition rather than trying to starve yourself into a difficult to maintain weight.
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    At 122, do you really need to lose weight? Unless you mesure less than 5 feet, you would probably benefit from changing your goals to fitness, health and reducing fat %!

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    At 122, do you really need to lose weight? Unless you mesure less than 5 feet, you would probably benefit from changing your goals to fitness, health and reducing fat %!

I thought this place was for support?

You just need to be patient and don't do anything drastic. You don't need to lose 2 pounds a week to call it success and you're not likely to lose weight every single week.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    With so little to lose it will be slow.
    A .5 lbs a week goal is a realistic goal.
    TOM or a higher salt intake can cause water retention that will hide any losses.

Put your calories to .5a week, log and eat back your exercise, and weigh your food with a food scale.

Stick with it- it just won't be as fast as you hope.

Cheers, h.
  • butt9182
    butt9182 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add I'm 22 and 5'4". I used to hover around 105-110 when I was 18-19 (without dieting or anything). Now my goal is 115
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

You just need to be patient and don't do anything drastic. You don't need to lose 2 pounds a week to call it success and you're not likely to lose weight every single week.

OP has a BMI in the low end of the healthy range.

Given that, I think the post you chose to jump on was a supportive and sensible suggestion.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

Given that, I think the post you chose to jump on was a supportive and sensible suggestion.

BMI as a goal is a joke. Mine is around 29 I think. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Checking to see if goals are realistic IS being supportive.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

And the low end of healthy is still, um, healthy (unless you've been told otherwise by your doctor, obviously, or experience problems like amenorrhea.)

There is nothing wrong with preferring to be a little lighter for aesthetic reasons. I'm her height and I like the way I look a lot better at 115 than I do at 125 and there's nothing wrong with that. We all have different goals and OP is not trying to drop to an objectively unhealthy weight, nor has she given any indication that she's got any kind of disordered eating, so why even mention it?

It drives me crazy that so many people around here seem to say "but you're already in a healthy range, why are you trying to lose weight?" like everyone's just supposed to be satisfied because BMI says they're not overweight. Yes, obviously going from 122 to 115 is just vanity weight and it's not being done to save OP from T2 diabetes or a heart attack or whatever, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to lose those seven pounds if that's what she wants to look like.

OP, when you're already pretty light it's a lot harder to lose just because smaller bodies don't need as many calories, so it's a patience thing. Plenty of exercise, count your calories very accurately and carefully, and adjust your expectations to expect to lose a lot more slowly than a guy twice your weight. The fact that you've lost 2 pounds in 3.5 weeks is actually a really reasonable rate of loss and means you're probably doing fine.