Working out and gaining

Options
saltlife50
saltlife50 Posts: 8 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been working out for a month and I have been gaining to. This week I'm going to cut my calories even lower than the calorie counter gives. Something got to give. I'm feeling better and I am not giving up. .

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, so I/we can't be sure, but are you eating all of your Calories earned from exercise back? For quite a few people, the Calorie estimates MFP gives tend toward the high side - you could try eating half of those back for a while.

Also, new exercise tends to cause water retention (as muscles heal), which causes the scale weight to go up temporarily. Generally, I'd expect the water retention to subside after a month, but it's not unheard of for it to last longer.
  • saltlife50
    saltlife50 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
  • JimBad05
    JimBad05 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    By working out do you mean strength training? If your body is trying to build muscle that could be making you weigh more. Muscle weighs more than fat.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    JimBad05 wrote: »
    By working out do you mean strength training? If your body is trying to build muscle that could be making you weigh more. Muscle weighs more than fat.

OP is not gaining muscle in a deficit. I wish that conclusion to not losing would go away.

OP, how are you getting your calorie counts? Are you using a food scale? And are you eating all of your exercise calories? If you were to make your diary public, we could help you better.