Ahhhhhh! How many calories are in this popcorn!!

Options
I have never understood how many calories are in popcorn or how to log it. The box says there are 35 calories in one cup, popped. But there are 150 calories in two tbsps unpopped, and three servings per bag. Why in the world is this so confusing. All I want to know is, if I pop this bag of popcorn, and eat half the bag, HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN IT?! haha someone help me pleaseeeeeee!

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Is the serving size 1 cup, or 2 tbsps? Are there any options that give weight? How many grams is the bag?
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Is the serving size 1 cup, or 2 tbsps? Are there any options that give weight? How many grams is the bag?

There are no weight options. This is what the box says:

o8ze1vs3kdh1.jpeg

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It says 32g/serving. Three servings per bag. The serving is 2 tbsps. If you eat half the bag it is 1.5 servings (from the 2 tbsp option. So 225cal for half the bag.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This is why I use the 100 calorie packs. B)
    pop-secret-calorie-butter-23330_zpsvxftsxqu.jpg
  • musicathy
    musicathy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    even better: don't do microwave popcorn. Buy loose kernels and measure them out unpopped (if 2tbsp = 150 calories, then if you're good to go with 150 cals you can eat everything that pops). You can throw the kernels into a brown paper bag and pop it in the microwave just like you would with this stuff, except without the icky chemicals and fake flavour - and then you can add your own toppings. A little butter (I mix it with EVOO for less calories but more topping), spices, whatever. Its lighter and healthier from a whole foods perspective. Im a popcorn ADDICT!
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Also, nutritional yeast is delish on popcorn!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    musicathy wrote: »
    even better: don't do microwave popcorn. Buy loose kernels and measure them out unpopped (if 2tbsp = 150 calories, then if you're good to go with 150 cals you can eat everything that pops). You can throw the kernels into a brown paper bag and pop it in the microwave just like you would with this stuff, except without the icky chemicals and fake flavour - and then you can add your own toppings. A little butter (I mix it with EVOO for less calories but more topping), spices, whatever. Its lighter and healthier from a whole foods perspective. Im a popcorn ADDICT!

Never been able to get this to work without throwing out a ton of unpopped kernels. Work microwave - home microwave....this was awful.

Presto Power Pop Microwave popper.....works great. I add the oil up front (doesn't take much) and the toppings stick.

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Air popped is the best and easiest. Then add your own toppings. Very easy and you control what you put on it.

There is a law that says you have to post the nutritional information for food. Since popcorn isn't popped when you buy it (unless you buy it that way) then they have to post what it would be if you ate the kernels. However, since people don't do that (usually) then they include how much it is after it's popped because that's what people want to know.
  • musicathy
    musicathy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    musicathy wrote: »

Never been able to get this to work without throwing out a ton of unpopped kernels. Work microwave - home microwave....this was awful.

Presto Power Pop Microwave popper.....works great. I add the oil up front (doesn't take much) and the toppings stick.

Oh that's too bad. I've had lots of success with the paper bag method but my preferred is definitely stove top - it's easy and you don't need much oil. We sometimes swap EVOO or canola for coconut oil - yummmm!