Hair falling out - badly

Options

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Age is certainly a cause of hair loss. I have always been one that sheds a ton of hair, but 3 years ago I was going through a stressful time, and my hair thinned way out - I lost so much I was worried that I was ill. I talked to my dr and she thinks it just aging, and perhaps the stress as well. In any event, it's stopped thinning, but it's never regained i's lush thickness. :'(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Can you open your diary so we can take a look? Also, eating 1200 calories and exercise, is not 1200 net.. it's 1200 gross.
    Oops, that's what I meant, gross. :smile: I haven't been tracking things as much lately, I'm trying to eat a little more and I've been getting a little obsessive with what I eat so I'm hoping not tracking as stringently for a bit calms me down. Generally I try to eat a protein shake in the morning - a low calorie lunch (usually a salad with fruit), two snacks and then a dinner with protein and veggies. This is almost every day unless I deviate by going out to lunch or dinner.

I'm your height (5'6") and can't imagine eating 1200 calories gross for one day, let alone 7 months. Despite frequently grossing 2,000 calories, I've lost 40 pounds since I started on MFP and 50 pounds from my top weight.

• girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Can you open your diary so we can take a look? Also, eating 1200 calories and exercise, is not 1200 net.. it's 1200 gross.
    Oops, that's what I meant, gross. :smile: I haven't been tracking things as much lately, I'm trying to eat a little more and I've been getting a little obsessive with what I eat so I'm hoping not tracking as stringently for a bit calms me down. Generally I try to eat a protein shake in the morning - a low calorie lunch (usually a salad with fruit), two snacks and then a dinner with protein and veggies. This is almost every day unless I deviate by going out to lunch or dinner.

I'm your height (5'6") and can't imagine eating 1200 calories gross for one day, let alone 7 months. Despite frequently grossing 2,000 calories, I've lost 40 pounds since I started on MFP and 50 pounds from my top weight.

Wow congrats! I'm not even sure how you've managed that :smile: 2000 calories a day would put me over my maintenance by 300 calories haha.
  • MeganMeCrazy247
    MeganMeCrazy247 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My mom is a hair stylist and growing up with one, she always makes sure I'm getting enough protein because hair is made of protein. Egg whites are one of the best ways. You can eat a bunch, low calories, high protein and they can go with any veggie really. Edamame are also a great go to veggie with protein. Yogurt (plain Greek tastes good with berries) is also very important for women and protein. When my friend lost a lot of weight she became too focused on the calories and not on the nutrition, lost a lot of hair and soon found symptoms of osteoporosis at the age of 16, but that was mainly because she did not have her period for about 2 years. Not saying that you are going through the same thing, just meaning that you must make sure that you aren't malnourished. See a nutritionist and make sure you tell them everything! Best wishes!!
  • seussbaby
    seussbaby Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ask the doctor to check the standard thyroid panel as well as for hashimotos. also VERY IMPORTANT to ask to have ferritinchecked. Ferritin is basically your iron "storage" level and should be roughly 60-110. low levels can cause hair loss and low energy. sometimes it can be improved w dr monitored iron supplement, or possible iron infusion.
    Evening Primrose Oil caps are also good for hair growth.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

Wow congrats! I'm not even sure how you've managed that :smile: 2000 calories a day would put me over my maintenance by 300 calories haha.

How much weight do you lose per week? Can you look back over the past 4-6 weeks and come up with an average?
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Check out Brenda Leigh Turnerfrom Lean Secrets on YouTube, she just put up a couple videos about her experience with that and how she healed herself. Good luck ox
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

It would only put you over your maintenance if you weren't active at all, if you do workout, and do a lot of walking, then you would still lose on 2000. My wife maintains on about 2100 calories a day, and she is like 5'3" or 5'4" and 115lbs, but she also worksout 6 days away, and walks a lot.

• girl_inflames
    Options

How much weight do you lose per week? Can you look back over the past 4-6 weeks and come up with an average?

0-2 pounds a week lately.
  • psuLemon
    Options

That is more of a range than an average which would make it hard to back into your TDEE. If you want, can you provide the measurements over the last 4-6 or even 4-8 weeks (here or over pm) and we can back into your actual TDEE.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'm 5'7", and 1200 calories is maintenance for me. I try to stay at 1000 to lose. If I ate 2000 calories a day, I would be gaining steadily every week!

Please remember that every body is different.
  • girl_inflames
    Options

That is more of a range than an average which would make it hard to back into your TDEE. If you want, can you provide the measurements over the last 4-6 or even 4-8 weeks (here or over pm) and we can back into your actual TDEE.

Sorry, I'm not sure how to help you? :confused:
  • Tarataboo35
    Tarataboo35 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I popped on here because I suffer from the same thing. Mine is hormone related as I have PCOS, but it took a while for diagnosis and for a while I was really worried because I was losing so much hair. It can be scary. But try your best not to worry too much and as others have said go and see your doctor, It is normally down to something that can be addressed. I am sorry to hear you lost your mum recently I can't imagine how difficult that must be for you. Try your best to implement some self care and look after yourself, all the best x
  • psuLemon
    Options

What was your weight 8 weeks ago, what is it today? You can look at the below

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports
  • girl_inflames
    Options

8 weeks ago I was 160.
    today I'm 149.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I'm 5'7", and 1200 calories is maintenance for me. I try to stay at 1000 to lose. If I ate 2000 calories a day, I would be gaining steadily every week!

how is 1200 your maintenance at 5'7? Im 5'6.5 and mine is over 2000 and Im not highly active either. 1200 maintenance I would think would be for a very small,petite or older woman or all 3 of those things.even without exercise mt maintenance is more than 1600 and Im 42
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

GROSS calories people. That means I've earned calories from exercise. I walk, garden, swim, lift weights, and practice yoga. (Not all in the same day, lol.)
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    O gosh, I would def book an apt with your doctor to see what's what. What is in your nail and hair vitamins? Try increasing your protein even if it's just through a protein shake that you have to gulp down as well as a vitamin D. My doctor told me to take the chew-able kind of vitamin because it absorbs better then the pill kind. I hope you find out what it is and it's an easy fix!!
  • psuLemon
    Options

8 weeks ago I was 160.
    today I'm 149.

Ok, so here is the math break-out (if you don't like math, skip to the I hate math tag line).

11 lb difference
    3500 calories in a lb

11*3500 = 38,500 (calories burnt)
    38,500/61 (number of days) = 631.147541(deficit per day)
    1200 (current intake) + 631 (deficit) = 1831 total daily energy expenditure

IHM: Your maintenance is averages 1831 calories.

Assumes: accurate and consistent logging. Knowing that you don't log, this could vastly be different I would recommend an increase to 1400 and increase protein to help with your hair.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    could also very well be a lack of Vitamin D - if it's summer on your side of the screen get a tan.... it definitely helps... or at least it did to me!