Eating an hour before bed? bad for weightloss?

Options
I like to watch a movie and have a bowl of my Kashi Golean as dessert before bed. Is it going to hinder weightloss? I know this topic has been up here before but it seems so mixed! Anyone?

Replies

• ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    has never hurt me not once i drink a protein shake every night before bed and has never stop or showed any messes up at all i also eat most of my cals in the evening and again never been a problem for me.
  • Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't eat anything after 8 pm...or 2 hours before you go to bed.
  • gmann1973
    gmann1973 Posts: 247
    Options
    I eat right before bed time I think it keeps me from snacking in the middle of the night, besides anything Kashi puts out is great and great for you
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    I wonder the same thing!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    if this is a regular habit of yours, eat it as usual for one week and then weigh yourself on your regular day (assuming you do this)

Then fore-go it for a week, and do the same.

That will tell you, don't ya think?

I've nibbled on snacks before bed ( usually an hour or so)- and the only hindrance is if it's got a lot of sugar in it- THEN it does impede my progress for sure.
    I'm learning I gotta say NO to those at that time of day.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry! But my results have been pretty slow - possibly because I only have a few pounds to lose. I kinda think that if you try to deprive yourself of your sweet little ritual, you could end up feeling deprived & set yourself up for a terrible binge...
    :indifferent:
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Clean - that is just soooo smart! Thank you!
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I had a fitness trainer tell me to eat a protein snack about an hour or so before bed. Your body has to use fat stores to break down the protein while you sleep.
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    "You shouldn't eat before bed time" is a myth!

When you sleep is the time when your body does most of it's repair work, most of it's re-building.
    Why deny your body the building blocks to repair itself?

I drink a protein shake every night before I go to bed. (I actually don't feel so well if I don't drink one) I work out a lot, I mean alot. (You or anyone else can read my bio why I'm here, if you want.......or not.)

Here is the link to a good article on dieting. The first item is on eating after 7PM.
    http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/5-diet-rules-its-ok-to-break

I look forward to my protein shake every night before bed.

Good luck with your goals!
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting that link. I've been breaking almost all of those rules and its working out just fine.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have to eat b4 bed, otherwise i wake up in the morning and eat EVERYTHING! But I'm still losing weight, so it must be ok :bigsmile:
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    you shouldn't eat anything after 8 pm...or 2 hours before you go to bed.

Please post peer reviewed studies that back up what you're saying. Thanks.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    I had a fitness trainer tell me to eat a protein snack about an hour or so before bed. Your body has to use fat stores to break down the protein while you sleep.

Your body will store excess calories as fat or it will burn fat (and a little bit of muscle in some cases) if you're in a deficit. Excess calories make the difference, not X nutrient and Y time.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it at all, but stay within your calories. Check out the link in this post http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/276535-for-those-who-worry-about-eating-late-at-night?hl=Eating+late+at+night+#posts-3656181
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i never eat after my teatime(about 5.00pm), i know it takes about 4hrs to get rid of the food so if you have something at night it is still with ya in the mornings...and stil have to burn off...(if you know what i mean!! lol )
    many a night i have gone to bed early super hungry but it is better than eating those extra cals in my books :) and your body also gets used to having nothing at night and after a little while you will not get hungry at night..
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I eat right before bed time I think it keeps me from snacking in the middle of the night, besides anything Kashi puts out is great and great for you

dude what are you doing up in the middle of the night!!!!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I eat 50% of my calories AFTER 8pm. I'm not saying thats the best way to do things, but it works for me. I eat less during the day as I am busy, but I enjoy eating and therefore save calories for when I can actually SIT and enjoy them.

My dietician also told me that the body is working harder during sleep than when sat watching TV etc, so there is no reason for evening snacks to be stored straight as fat. I'm always hungry when I wake up at 7am too, so my body is digesting it fine. Just go with what you want to do xxx
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I like to watch a movie and have a bowl of my Kashi Golean as dessert before bed. Is it going to hinder weightloss? I know this topic has been up here before but it seems so mixed! Anyone?

As long as you accounted for those calories in your daily intake, the time of when you eat them has zero difference for weight loss.

Meal Timing is irrelavant. . Meal Timing is irrelavant. . Meal Timing is irrelavant. . Meal Timing is irrelavant. . Meal Timing is irrelavant. . Meal Timing is irrelavant. . Meal Timing is irrelavant. . Meal Timing is irrelavant. . Meal Timing is irrelavant. . Meal Timing is irrelavant. .
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    Good question. And really good responses. I learned a lot here! :flowerforyou:
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I never eat a large meal before bed, however I usualy have a snack.

I know for me that if I don't I will just crave, crave, crave. I also have a bedtime pill i have to take with food. I usualy do a low carb snack.