Macro help

Options
Hi there, I need some help figuring out macros at the moment. A few months ago I was reverse dieting to put on muscle because a friend and I were planning on doing a bikini competition but plans fell through. anyways a few months have passed and I will not be doing the compition, however ,over the past few months I have gained and lost weight (that's life) but now I really need help figuring out what my macros should be in order to loose weight the right way. So I workout twice a day. Morning is a HITT program and in the evening I weight lift.I also run 3times a week ranging from 1mile to 3miles (max is 5miles) if I could get some advice on my macros that would be very helpful as at the moment I feel very lost

Replies

• bumblebeecone
    bumblebeecone Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help but I was hoping some one already answered you , I am so lost also and every one seems to spout preference vs fact but I am getting the hint that that is kinda what macros are all about " preference " not fact . sorry no one has helped you though :(
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When I'm food logging my macros are:

1g protein per pound of estimated lean body mass as a minimum.
    0.4g of fat per pound of body weight as a minimum.
    Carbs fall wherever they fall within my overall calorie goal. *

Only time I prioritise carbs is when I'm doing a long cycle ride for correct fuelling.

Far less restrictive IMHO than fixed percentages or goals.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help but I was hoping some one already answered you , I am so lost also and every one seems to spout preference vs fact but I am getting the hint that that is kinda what macros are all about " preference " not fact . sorry no one has helped you though :(

@bumblebeecone

Yes there are many different opinions.
    There's also different needs (in a deficit or not, strength training or not, endurance cardio etc. etc.....) as well as very important adherence factors - no point picking a "perfect" macro split if you can't stick to it long term.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's not very complicated. Focus on calories for weight loss - set an appropriate calorie goal. Eat what you like that makes sticking to those calories as easy as possible. Stick to those calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's not very complicated. Focus on calories for weight loss - set an appropriate calorie goal. Eat what you like that makes sticking to those calories as easy as possible. Stick to those calories.

exactly.

For weight loss it is all about calories.

For nutrition and body comp you worry about macros.

The typical macros for preserving muscle while losing weight is as follows:

0.8 grams of protein for each lb of bodyweight
    0.35 grams of fat

rest carbs.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options

I think macros ARE very important when you are dieting, especially if you are new to nutrition.
    Here is the basics.
    1. Only counting calories makes you lose weight. It doesn't matter where the calories come from.
    BUT
    2. Every dieter, indeed everyone, needs to balance the different food groups:
    these are: Protein, Carbs and Fats (use the defaults or modify a bit according to your tastes) 10% is a MINIMUM for any of them.
    3. Make sure you include food from these five groups:
    Lots of:
    Lean or vegetable protein
    Complex, wholegrain carbohydrates
    Vegetables
    Smaller portions of:
    Full fat dairy
    Fruit
    4. Check the other nutrients against recommended daily intakes to make sure you're not missing out on something important. If you are missing out eat food rich in that vitamin/mineral or take a vitamin supplement.
    5. Good luck!
    Hi there, I need some help figuring out macros at the moment. A few months ago I was reverse dieting to put on muscle because a friend and I were planning on doing a bikini competition but plans fell through. anyways a few months have passed and I will not be doing the compition, however ,over the past few months I have gained and lost weight (that's life) but now I really need help figuring out what my macros should be in order to loose weight the right way. So I workout twice a day. Morning is a HITT program and in the evening I weight lift.I also run 3times a week ranging from 1mile to 3miles (max is 5miles) if I could get some advice on my macros that would be very helpful as at the moment I feel very lost