Advice Needed: Net vs Total Calories Consumed

Options
Hi all!

I've been working out for a solid two weeks and just began my third, I'm eating between 1800 - 2000 total calories while my net is between 1200 - 1500.

I haven't lost anything. At all. In fact I seem to have gained a pound.

Should I change my approach be be counting total calories consumed or do I just need to wait a bit longer for the weight to begin coming off? I have started to notice minor slimming here and there, but obviously nothing extreme at this early stage.

For reference, I'm 5'5", 156 pounds with a 28 inch waist.

Replies

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    1. It takes time for your body to adjust to the new regimen.
    2. When you begin a new workout, your body automatically stores water in your muscles to help repair them.
    3. If you're noticing a slight slim down, you could be losing inches. A loss is a loss no matter where it's coming from. Take your measurements often to get a better idea of where you stand.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    are you using a food scale to weigh your solids?
    are you logging consistently? accurately using a food scale and correct entries?
    how are you getting your calorie burns? are you eating them all back?
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring workout calories? I know that mine are only an educated guess (I really need to invest in a Fitbit!) so I try to only eat half of them back.
  • strob89
    strob89 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    nickisa28 wrote: »
    How are you measuring workout calories? I know that mine are only an educated guess (I really need to invest in a Fitbit!) so I try to only eat half of them back.

I need to get a FitBit too, haha!

Currently I'm using the Pacer App on my phone. I've been logging every day, consistently. I don't weigh my food but it sounds like I should start.
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Some will disagree with me but I don't do "net calories" or atleast try not to. I just eat what my calorie limit is set at (atleast I try to lol).
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    aimeetu wrote: »
    Some will disagree with me but I don't do "net calories" or atleast try not to. I just eat what my calorie limit is set at (atleast I try to lol).

Sorry to read that your diet isn't working for you. Though two weeks is a short time, you should be noticing a difference on the scales by the third week. Aimeetu is wise. (See her advice above) Don't add exercise calories yet.
    It's far better to start on the lowest calories you can and then gradually increase as you get more active.
    I was surprised to discover that exercise alone doesn't make us lose weight, it just tones the muscles. You have to restrict calories to lose weight.
    So just cool it with the calories for the time being. I'm sure you'll soon see results.

Hi all!

I've been working out for a solid two weeks and just began my third, I'm eating between 1800 - 2000 total calories while my net is between 1200 - 1500.

Should I change my approach be be counting total calories consumed or do I just need to wait a bit longer for the weight to begin coming off? I have started to notice minor slimming here and there, but obviously nothing extreme at this early stage.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Time to get a food scale and start weighing your food so you know more accurately what calories you are eating.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I doubt that you're burning 800 calories per day. If you're not losing after 3 weeks, you should cut calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

My scale went up seven pounds when I started lifting weights again last fall, and it did take a few weeks for that water weight to come back off.

That said, how are you calculating your exercise burns? Because MFP burns tend to be inflated, many here suggest not eating more than 50% of the calories you earn from exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    aimeetu wrote: »

Sorry to read that your diet isn't working for you. Though two weeks is a short time, you should be noticing a difference on the scales by the third week. Aimeetu is wise. (See her advice above) Don't add exercise calories yet.
    It's far better to start on the lowest calories you can and then gradually increase as you get more active.
    I was surprised to discover that exercise alone doesn't make us lose weight, it just tones the muscles. You have to restrict calories to lose weight.
    So just cool it with the calories for the time being. I'm sure you'll soon see results.

Hi all!

MFP uses the NEAT method, and as such the system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Weighing solid foods and using measuring cups for liquids was eye-opening for me. Even weighing pre-packaged foods!

In all honesty, you don't really know what you're eating if you're eye-balling portions. Even things like slices of bread or cheese and eggs are often more than one serving! My Trader Joe's Jumbo eggs are always at least 1.25 eggs in weight and one with a double yolk came in at almost 2 eggs (with a labels serving at 66g per egg).

Though new workout routines can cause water retention to help prepare muscles.

Everyone retains water on a day-to-day basis which can cause weight fluctuations. Eating salty food, or heavy food (loaded baked potato, cream spinach and a big steak), and of course the lovely lady hormones can all contribute to water weight. But it's water weight. Not fat.

I hatehatehate the scale. Or I used to. Now I just kinda dislike it. I weigh every day and use a weight-trending app to show the overall picture. It helps me not freak out (as much) over those fluctuations. That won't work for everyone, nothing does.

Find what works for you and be patient because it will take time. Take in all the advice and find your way. It may take a while, but you will! :smiley: