Calf muscle issue

Options
Um, does anybody else have trouble growing your calf muscles? I'm 6'1 and 171 lb...perhaps cuz of my lengthy leg?

Replies

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have had my left leg in a cast numerous times for a total of more than 12 months so my left calf muscle is definitely atrophied. You can't add muscle mass while you're eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight so you may have to wait until you're ready to eat at a calorie surplus. There are some exercises that focus on the calves.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    TonyMo25 wrote: »
    Um, does anybody else have trouble growing your calf muscles? I'm 6'1 and 171 lb...perhaps cuz of my lengthy leg?

Genetics, high calf insertions and stuff like that matter just as much as training and nutrition. I've said this before and will say it again there are people that dead-lift squat 500 pounds and have small legs. Look up people like Maxx Chewning, OmarIsuf.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I believe genetics play a big role in calf size.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    It's mostly genetics when it comes to calves. You can do all the calf work in the world, but if your insertions are high, they will only build in the "high" area and now down low.
    You'll see lots of people with great calves and when you ask them what exercises they do for them the usual response is "nothing".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Yep - genetics. My husband asked a coach one time how to get bigger calves, and the coach replied, "Be born with them."

My husband is 6'4" and 235.
    I am 5'8" and 145.

My calves measure exactly the same as his. I am thin but have trouble finding boots that aren't too tight on my calves.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Its a joke in my house how I work out like I do and do not have any nice calves to show for it and my husband has these large defined calves and really does nothing for them.. What wierd, I have larger thighs than he does.. does not make any any sense..

So genetics and being born with them is definitely the answer. I am still praying for nice calves though.
  • TonyMo25
    TonyMo25 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response