Cartilage - Shoulder Pop Question

Options
I have an issue when doing bench press where I feel a little cartilage pop in my shoulder. I don't feel any pain but when it happens I naturally think about it and I think it affects me putting 100% into what I'm doing. Is some pop normal? It's not loud enough to where someone can hear it happening sitting right next to me.

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It's normal as you age, but not ideal. I have the same thing in both shoulders and was told that it's a rotator cuff joint problem. I was told to avoid doing things that make it pop as that means I have cartilage rubbing on bone and eventually it would wear the cartilage down or some such.
  • one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Might want to see a doctor about it but from what I've been told by my doctor is - if it hurts, stop
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    one1fast68 wrote: »
    Might want to see a doctor about it but from what I've been told by my doctor is - if it hurts, stop

That's what my doctor said to. They also suggested a longer warming up period. Doesn't seem to matter how long I warm up. It seems more a matter of weight bearing on the joint and the angle of the motion. Some reps it doesn't pop at all. Finding the exact angle is difficult especially if you're doing heavy weight.
  • kevinf2380
    Options
    I have found if I use the hammer strength machine it doesn't pop at all. I just don't feel you get the same potential from the machine as you would using dumbbells.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have it as well. Could also be inflamed muscles. I have two gimpy shoulders, but found doing a lot of stretching and mobility exercises for shoulders has made all the difference. Not just before you are benching; commit 10-15 minutes 4-5 times a week. A good test (and exercise) of your mobility is standing heels, butt, shoulders against the wall, keeping your elbows, forearms and hands against the wall raise them from goal-post to "stick 'em up". Try to touch hands at the top. Do this a couple times a week with other stretches, and you hopefully will find the popping stops. Assuming it is caused by the same thing I have. When I started, i could barely get all these body parts to touch the wall, i still cannot touch at the top. But i don't pop anymore.

tldr: add stretching and mobility exercises 4-5 times a week
  • kevinf2380
    Options
    I feel the popping just going from goal post to stick'm up. It's the main reason I've avoided dumbbell military press exercises. I might just have to get over the denial and use the strength machines.
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I get a shoulder pop too, but my chiropractor didn't say it was doing anything negative to my body and she felt it. Like one1fast68 said, if it hurts then stop.
  • kevinf2380
    Options
    Have one in my right elbow as well. Only happens when I do tricep extensions. It's a little louder. You can actually hear that one. Sounds like a shock you get from a door knob after rubbing your feet on the carpet.
  • Diana05100316
    Diana05100316 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't hurt or have discomfort then you should be good. Try doing levator scapular and upper trap stretches... if you strengthen the muscles of your shoulder then the popping will (not go away) but will lessen.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Can you switch to barbell military presses? I find them easier than Dumbbells on my shoulder.
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    No it isn't normal for your age at all.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say maybe you flare your elbows when you benchpress. The proper benchpress form is hands directly above shoulders and then drop the elbows along the body. Any other way is hell on your rotator cuff.

The hammer strength machine kind of forces you to do the lift correctly which hints the same.

My suggestion would be to avoid military press (can be done with proper form), lateral raises (can be done with proper form), and ESPECIALLY close grip upright rows (never do these) while you're at it.
  • kevinf2380
    Options
    @JeffMatchett That may be it. Probably the reps when I don't feel it popping are the ones when my elbows aren't flaring.
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »
    @JeffMatchett That may be it. Probably the reps when I don't feel it popping are the ones when my elbows aren't flaring.

@kevinf2380 It's something to look in to. I did it for years before I realized. Mark Rippetoe has an amazing video on YouTube all about bench press form. Check it out if you can. It's crazy how many exercises can hurt the rotator cuff. I try to be very careful now as my shoulders are all sorts of whack. Hope it helps.

I wouldn't worry much about the popping right now. It's usually nothing to worry about. But you should worry about your form if that's causing an underlying issue.

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »
    I have an issue when doing bench press where I feel a little cartilage pop in my shoulder. I don't feel any pain but when it happens I naturally think about it and I think it affects me putting 100% into what I'm doing. Is some pop normal? It's not loud enough to where someone can hear it happening sitting right next to me.

Are you using proper form?
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My shoulder does this too and has since I was 20 so not an age thing :p. I just kept adjusting my form and movement pattern till I found a way to bench that feels comfortable and effective and where it doesn't pop.
  • kevinf2380
    Options
    @JeffMatchett I checked out that youtube. I am not benching like that. That's probably my issue. Thanks for the tip.