Mom of 3, trying to reach healthy weight while breastfeeding

Options
Hi everyone!

First I want to say that you so much for being part of this online community. I have used MFP in the past at various times over the years and have found reading posts on here very helpful. I've never really participated in the message boards in the past but I'd like to now because I think the added accountability and support would be helpful. I'm a mom of three boys, ages 6 mo, 4 yrs and 6 yrs. I work full time outside the home. Interested in sharing healthy recipes that are family friendly, lunchbox friendly, and just overall encouragement.

Here's the weight situation. I have been overweight since age 9, and have reached my highest weight ever - I weight 215 after having my third baby. My short term goal is to make it to 190 or below by my birthday (losing 9 lbs), just over a month away (Sept 12). My longterm goal is to be at my goal weight of 170 by Jan 15 next year (baby will be one year old). So, I've got 30 lbs to lose.

Replies

• aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm looking to lose around 30lb also to be at my pre-baby weight. I have two children and I'm breastfeeding my 10 month old. I'm starting back at work at the end of the month. How is your weight loss going? I'm doing 16:8 intermittent fasting along with a 1300 calorie diet. That might seem a bit low while nursing but my baby is well established on solids and my supply appears to be unaffected. :)
  • brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi! I just weaned my boy a few weeks ago at 16 mo, but feel free to add me! I've lost 100 lbs 8 years ago (300 lbs to 200 lbs). My goal and healthy weight is approx 175 lbs! About 25-30 lbs more left. Ive maintained my loss aside from gaining 30 lbs RIGHT before I got pregnant (medication side effect so I quit it ASAP and stopped gaining). So I began my pregnancy at that weight.

During pregnancy I gained 30 lbs even though I stayed active and healthy (so that put me at 260! The highest Id been in years. :neutral: ) After delivering I was 247, and Im now 202 ish. I was right back in the gym and jogging with baby, and now Im currently in training to get my certification to teach Les Mills BodyCombat class at my gym! Love it!

Id love to have more friends, and could use a fresh start and accountability after an "off" few weeks, so anyone feel free to add me!
  • bmmacintyre
    bmmacintyre Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just weaned my boy a few weeks ago at 16 mo, but feel free to add me! I've lost 100 lbs 8 years ago (300 lbs to 200 lbs). My goal and healthy weight is approx 175 lbs! About 25-30 lbs more left. Ive maintained my loss aside from gaining 30 lbs RIGHT before I got pregnant (medication side effect so I quit it ASAP and stopped gaining). So I began my pregnancy at that weight.

During pregnancy I gained 30 lbs even though I stayed active and healthy (so that put me at 260! The highest Id been in years. :neutral: ) After delivering I was 247, and Im now 202 ish. I was right back in the gym and jogging with baby, and now Im currently in training to get my certification to teach Les Mills BodyCombat class at my gym! Love it!

Id love to have more friends, and could use a fresh start and accountability after an "off" few weeks, so anyone feel free to add me!

Sounds like you've done a great job so far! And super kudos on getting certified to teach that body combat class - wow that is awesome! I'm sure that burns a lot of calories and helps get your heart and lungs in shape.

It's not as easy to focus on ourselves as moms, since we tend to put our kids and everyone else's needs before ours. But lets try to remind ourselves that to be the best moms we can be we need to be healthy and confidant.
  • bmmacintyre
    bmmacintyre Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    aliblain wrote: »
    Hi there! I'm looking to lose around 30lb also to be at my pre-baby weight. I have two children and I'm breastfeeding my 10 month old. I'm starting back at work at the end of the month. How is your weight loss going? I'm doing 16:8 intermittent fasting along with a 1300 calorie diet. That might seem a bit low while nursing but my baby is well established on solids and my supply appears to be unaffected. :)

Hi, aliblain! I have only been tracking my calories for about a week and a half and I've already lost 7 pounds. I know it comes off faster in the beginning because a lot of it is water weight and glycogen stores in the liver etc., so I don't expect to continue at this pace. I am consuming 1800 calories per day (journal is public), of which I try to make most of it healthy veggies, fruits, low fat dairy and lean protein. I absolutely have to have my coffee, diet coke, and something chocolate every day.

I did it this way four years ago after my second child was born and lost 40 lbs in about 8 months just eating around 1700 cals/day and working out 2-3 times a week for 30 mins. Hoping to do the same this time but maintain it.

• nicolecfut
    nicolecfut Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have 3 kids. My daughter turned a year last month. I'm still breastfeeding her. I'm down 47 lbs since she was born. The weight came off beautifully while exercising and eating right. Been having a lot of pains and difficulty exercising lately. All resulting in a hysterectomy next month. Eager to get back to excercing since it keeps me out of the pantry. Sweets are kicking my buttons latelt. I would love some new friends, recipes, etc!! :)