Intermittent fasting

Options
nabila_rahman94
nabila_rahman94 Posts: 26 Member
edited August 2016 in Getting Started
Hey to anyone that might be reading this! I just started IF recently and am doing the 4:3 ratio (eat 4 days, fast 3). In the nicest way possible, I'm not looking for anyone that's going to tell me how unhealthy it is but rather people that can encourage me and may also be fasting. My life is pretty busy and as much as I try I can't make time for two workouts a day and tons of meal prep. I'm usually always on the go and IF suits my lifestyle well. It does get difficult at times which is why I am looking for some IF BFFS! Also, I think I'm kinda funny so that's just another perk ;) Pleaseee, feel free to friend me and lets lose some weight together :)

Replies

• nabila_rahman94
    Options
    v43vyxyf85ot.jpeg
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You fast for three days? Like, zero calories for three days? I've done 24 hours or so before but three I'm not sure I could handle. I'd be pretty crabby. What's your experience been like?
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm doing IF, but I'm on the 16/8 plan. My eating window is 12-8pm I'm going on my 3rd week. This has worked for me in the past. I wish I would have kept it up!
    What days are your fasting days?
  • nabila_rahman94
    Options
    Yup 3 days! Definitely not consecutive days though. I fast MWF and eat TuThSaSu
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You fast for three days? Like, zero calories for three days? I've done 24 hours or so before but three I'm not sure I could handle. I'd be pretty crabby. What's your experience been like?

4:3 is like 5:2, you eat 500 cals on 'fast' days
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting Whole group of us if you are looking for like minds, support, ideas, or just general conversation. Jump on in the group if you want.
  • bmmacintyre
    bmmacintyre Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to do it, but a coworker of mine ate low cal M-F and indulgent on the weekends and maintained. He just had a banana and coffee for breakfast during the week, skipped lunch, and ate a very small protein and veggie dinner. Weekends he had three full meals per day of whatever he wanted. To lose I'm guessing just skip the treats on the weekends and make all meals lean healthy and veggie filled.
  • bmmacintyre
    bmmacintyre Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Do you at least drink fluids on the days where you consume 0 calories?
  • nabila_rahman94
    Options

Do you at least drink fluids on the days where you consume 0 calories?

Yes I do, I stick to water. Sparkling water definitely helps when you feel that pang of hunger. You can eat up to 500 cals and still be considered as fasting.

• nabila_rahman94
    Options
  • nabila_rahman94
    Options
    I've never been able to do it, but a coworker of mine ate low cal M-F and indulgent on the weekends and maintained. He just had a banana and coffee for breakfast during the week, skipped lunch, and ate a very small protein and veggie dinner. Weekends he had three full meals per day of whatever he wanted. To lose I'm guessing just skip the treats on the weekends and make all meals lean healthy and veggie filled.

So we're the days that he had the banana and coffee and the chicken and veggies considered his "fast days"? I'm usually good with not eating until about like 6:30-7pm. That's when it really gets to me. I even feel guilty about eating those 500 cals.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I fast 8 hours a day, its called sleeping. But in all seriousness, please do not do this, it is not sustainable and when you go back to eating "normal" you'll gain most, if not all the weight back. I lost over 100lbs eating more healthy stuff, less non-healthy, which is how I still eat and it has allowed me to keep the weight off for more than 2 years so far. I never starved myself.
  • persephpom
    persephpom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 16/8 plan too and I love it! I feel so good and have so much more energy! I also limit my calorie intake during my eating window to between 1200 and 1400.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    In the nicest way possible, I'm not looking for anyone that's going to tell me how unhealthy it is but rather people that can encourage me and may also be fasting.

Actually a lot of research shows that intermittent fasting has several health benefits.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 5:2 fast :) I have 500 cals on Mon/Thurs and the other days I aim for 1500 cals but often end up around the 1700 mark or more. Losing nicely and finding it more manageable than calorie restricting every day. I think this is because I tend to start eating late in the day naturally and so on fast days I don't really notice that I'm having less food than usual until it's late.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with 4:3, BUT eat your 500 cals on the fast days.

I just do 16:8 for calorie control.
  • liveloseliftlove
    liveloseliftlove Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do a 23/1 to 20/4 IF schedule daily... feel free to friend me, if anyone would like. 1500 cals daily. Lost 60 pounds thus far.
  • nabila_rahman94
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

So you're actually supposed to eat the 500 calories on fast days? I had heard that you can start that way but are supposed to move off of it when you can. I just get such mixed reviews on IF altogether, it's hard to stay motivated.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

So you're actually supposed to eat the 500 calories on fast days? I had heard that you can start that way but are supposed to move off of it when you can. I just get such mixed reviews on IF altogether, it's hard to stay motivated.

yes you are ment to eat those 500cals, also try not to work out on fast days
  • AmmeLynn
    AmmeLynn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    IF sounds very interesting to me, id like to research~ thanks!
    ~A