Achilles injury

Options
dlr96
dlr96 Posts: 199 Member
I don't know how I did it but two months ago pulled my Achilles tendon somehow on a run. Once it started to feel better about a month ago I did the same thing. I am in the military and running is a big part of our day. I don't want to be a broke *kitten*. Anyone have a good recovery plan for this type of injury or way to prevent it in the future?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    With injuries it's best to see a medical professional. But generally speaking, Achilles injuries heal best with warmth and regular, light stretching - but avoid any movements or activities that cause pain. Running while it hurts could cause it to snap.

Build flexibility back into it by wearing a night splint.. preferably one that adjusts to angles less than 90 degrees, like this
    amazon.com/Adjustable-Plantar-Fasciitis-Splint-Medium/dp/B006L8N71Y

Uphill running strains the Achilles the most. If you must run uphill, consider adding a heel lift insert. :+1:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There can be a number of culprits when it comes to achilles tendon problems, one of the most common being tight calves.

One thing that my RMT recommended (in addition to ART) was to apply a heating pad for a few minute to the affected leg (calf) and then use either a foam roller or (preferably) The Stick to massage the calf but rolling only towards the knee. The other thing she recommended was re-evaluating my running shoes as many manufacturers have been gradually reducing the heel to toe drop when new versions are released (interestingly I found an article on Runners World that said pretty much the same thing) and it turned out that what I had thought was just a newer version if my old faithful shoe had gone from a 12m drop to 10mm. I picked up a pair of shoes with the 12mm drop and have been stretching / rolling my calf diligently and I'm now up to10 mile (pain free) long runs on my half-marathon training plan.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I didn't run for 6 weeks hoping it would heal. It didn't. I finally went to a podiatrist and she prescribed some steroids and stretching. I feel great now.