Constantly hungry

Options
Hey everyone, looking for advice please. Im 5"2, 29yrs old and 60kg or 132lbs.

I am constantly hungry! I eat all day and never feel full. I eat good foods like fruit and yoghurt, drink plenty of water. Im ederfising around 30-45mins a day of weight training/calisthenics. I do cardio for something different two days a week also. I am on 1480 calories a day and im looking to drop a few more kilograms and tone up. But i want to know why im so hungry all the time.

Yesterday i ate the following and around these times.

6am - 2 slices of toast with 2 scrambled eggs. Cup of tea
730am - cup of tea
9am- banana
10am - watermelon and yoghurt
1pm- wholegrain roll with egg, lettuce, bacon, tomato and cheese
3pm - 4 cruskits and a musashi protein shake
6pm - 2 lamb cutlets, potato, pumpkin, frozen vegies and corn.

Thats was my day.... should I increase my calories to be fuller? Why am i so hungry? I feel sick also from not eating, does anyone else get this?

Any advice would be great!

Replies

• skyhowl
    skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Do you do anything in your day other than training? Job? And what's your job? Because i guess people will need to know that to decide if you should eat more
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    So - how much fiber are you getting in? I had the same issue a while back - I was eating reasonably well, but was still hungry. Nutritionist told me to increase my fiber. That helped immensely.

I do 2 things to help with that....
    1>. Crystal light pink lemonade - and some protein powder and fiber powder from GNC - enough for about 5g protein and 5g fiber. I usually use that for "in between meals"

2>. Www.healthsmart.com - protein/fiber bars and or the clusters. There are usually coupon codes on retailmenot.com.

Both of these have helped a lot in increasing the fiber and curbing the hunger for me.
  • kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking throughout the day? Sometimes dehydrated feels like hungry.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Honestly this might sound overly obvious but if you are hungry all the time you probably are not eating enough and are at more of a deficit than you need to be due to your exercise.

Using this TDEE calculator and your description of yourself:

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

I'm getting about 2,000 calories a day to maintain. That is assuming you are pretty sedentary other than your 45 minutes of exercise a day. If that isn't true and you are walking around a lot for say your job then your calorie needs are probably higher.

Regardless, if you "feel sick from not eating" then you should eat more. Again, perhaps that sounds to obvious but there it is.

• RNsusieQ
    RNsusieQ Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How's your water intake? If you are getting enough calories, dehydration can present as hunger.

Have a look at your macros to determine if you are you getting enough protein & fat. Focus on meeting those two everyday to help with hunger & feeling ill. I previously would feel ill when on a calorie deficit (TDEE -20%), nausea/headache/etc, but after looking at my macro trends, realized I was eating too many carbs & not making protein/fat goals. Once I started prioritizing the two, I realized most of my carbs can come from fruits & vegetables. ---> This made me feel a million times better.

Check out In Place of a Road Map for a ton of really valuable information:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

How many calories a day are you eating?
    Hey everyone, looking for advice please. Im 5"2, 29yrs old and 60kg or 132lbs.

I am constantly hungry! I eat all day and never feel full. I eat good foods like fruit and yoghurt, drink plenty of water. Im ederfising around 30-45mins a day of weight training/calisthenics. I do cardio for something different two days a week also. I am on 1480 calories a day and im looking to drop a few more kilograms and tone up. But i want to know why im so hungry all the time.

Yesterday i ate the following and around these times.

6am - 2 slices of toast with 2 scrambled eggs. Cup of tea
    730am - cup of tea
    9am- banana
    10am - watermelon and yoghurt
    1pm- wholegrain roll with egg, lettuce, bacon, tomato and cheese
    3pm - 4 cruskits and a musashi protein shake
    6pm - 2 lamb cutlets, potato, pumpkin, frozen vegies and corn.

Thats was my day.... should I increase my calories to be fuller? Why am i so hungry? I feel sick also from not eating, does anyone else get this?

Any advice would be great!

How many calories a day are you eating?
  • wortn
    wortn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I posted here before with the same problem. I increased water intake, upped fat and started taking prilosec to take care of the extra acid. My hunger is still here but much more manageable.
  • nikkitimkitembo89
    nikkitimkitembo89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Veggies are low calorie and keep you fuller longer as they also take longer to digest I saw you didn't have too much I saw tomatoes, lettuce and corn and corn is really more considered a grain try getting in veggies with every meal maybe for breakfast you can do an egg scramble with bell peppers spinach and onion then for snack celery with nut butter lunch a salad with chicken, spinach, kale, cucumbers, tomatoes or whatever veggies you like then another snack you can have carrot chips and hummus for dinner salmon asparagus and quinoa those are just ideas you can also throw in another snack all foods out there considere "0 calorie "because your body burns more calories digesting them that the food is actually worth are all veggies so you should try incorporating more veggies and see if that helps
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    RNsusieQ wrote: »
    How's your water intake? If you are getting enough calories, dehydration can present as hunger.

Have a look at your macros to determine if you are you getting enough protein & fat. Focus on meeting those two everyday to help with hunger & feeling ill. I previously would feel ill when on a calorie deficit (TDEE -20%), nausea/headache/etc, but after looking at my macro trends, realized I was eating too many carbs & not making protein/fat goals. Once I started prioritizing the two, I realized most of my carbs can come from fruits & vegetables. ---> This made me feel a million times better.

Check out In Place of a Road Map for a ton of really valuable information:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map

I agree.