Body Recomp Delima

Options
2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about form than needing a spot at this point. I've been lifting heavy for a couple years and I rarely need a spotter. You won't be lifting that close to your 1rm very often.

Agreed.
  • marand94608
    marand94608 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    All machines are not created equal. Does your gym have Hammer Strength machines? My husband has been lifting since his teens and he highly recommends them. We had to look around for a gym in our area that has these. I'm a beginner and he doesn't want me to use the free weights because these are safer than using a spotter and designed to keep you in good form. (although I'm still going to Deadlifts with a bar)
    Here's a Q&A about it that I just Googled:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ronharris5.htm
    One notable equipment line is Hammer Strength, designed by Arthur's son Gary Jones. Hammer Strength machines are plate loaded, which takes away some of the "machine" stigma, and are among the most effective pieces I have ever used. College and pro football strength coaches across America swear by them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Can I ever achieve the fat loss and muscle building I want using just machines?

Yes - but it depends on which machines / which exercises and how much effort you use.
    The majority of work I do in the gym is with machines but I also use dumbbells, barbell and bodyweight exercises.
    If the core of your workout is focussed on the big compound lifts whether using free weights or machines then I think you should be able to get a really effective and efficient workout.

I see good/bad/effective/ineffective routines by people using machines or free weights.

Not all machines are created equal of course, cable machines involve a load of stabilisation and allow natural movement, I hit the limit of machine's weight stacks in some gyms / ranges of equipment but also use some plate loaded machines (TechnoGym) which have limits far above my capabilities!

I never spot for anyone or ask for a spot - I suffered from back spasms for many years and didn't want to hurt anyone else and besides I'm there for my workout not theirs.....