Weight loss blues

Options
Hi everyone! I am just starting my weight loss journey and let me tell you, I am SOOOO frustrated and confused and would love any advise!! How do you lose weight with a high calorie count? I put myself on a 1,000 calorie a day budget but can't seem to get out of the ping-pong weight....up a pound one day, down 2lbs the next day then the next day or end of the day I'm back up a pound or two. This app has created a goal and calorie intake for the weight I'm trying to achieve but how in the world can I lose weight when it's telling me I'm not obtaining enough calories for the day?! Not to mention the water I drink, I feel bloated. I do excersie DAILY. Sometimes 2X's a day....step aerobics for 45 min and 20 min of cardio or 35 min on treadmill and 20 min of cardio. My diet consists of no fried foods, no candy or chips or any junk food like that, not much red meat mainly baked fish and chicken and I only drink water and munch on grapes or other fruits when the rumblies come. I am SO determined to lose this weight but I'm so frustrated to tears because the digits on the scale seem to play with my mind. 1200 calories seems like a lot for the what my goal is but currently at 1000 calories, I'm starting to feel worn out and frustrated. Anyone have an tips, advise.....words of encouragement I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eat at least 1200 calories (1000 is too low for nearly all women), and avoid weighing daily if you can't deal with normal fluctuations. Also make sure you're logging everything as accurately as possible. This may mean making sure 100% of what passes your lips is logged, weighing all foods on a food scale and measuring all liquids in cups, double checking that the entries you use are accurate, utilizing the recipe builder instead of homemade or generic entries, and being mindful of calories burned from exercise.
  • Alli4Chocolate
    Alli4Chocolate Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Eat at least 1200 calories (1000 is too low for nearly all women), and avoid weighing daily if you can't deal with normal fluctuations.

I won't even weigh myself daily, because I know I would get upset with the fluctuations. I measure for awhile on how my clothes fit.
  • Brianneplus3
    Brianneplus3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Another question. What's the difference between calories and "fat" from calories? I thought a calorie was a calorie.
  • terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Use a macro generator such as iifym.com. I don't know your info but I can guarantee that you are not eating enough. With that being said, you could be starving yourself therefore you body is slowing it's metabolism down because it doesn't know when it's going to get food next... So by not eating enough you could actually gain weight, not lose weight and not meet your goals. I suggest finding out exactly how many calories and macros you should be eating and adjust accordingly so that you can meet your goals.
  • verneonisback
    verneonisback Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recommend a Nintendo Wii fit
  • Brianneplus3
    Options
    Thanks so much! I'm going to try that.
  • malibu927
    Options
    Use a macro generator such as iifym.com. I don't know your info but I can guarantee that you are not eating enough. With that being said, you could be starving yourself therefore you body is slowing it's metabolism down because it doesn't know when it's going to get food next... So by not eating enough you could actually gain weight, not lose weight and not meet your goals. I suggest finding out exactly how many calories and macros you should be eating and adjust accordingly so that you can meet your goals.

This is untrue. If she's truly eating 1000 calories yes she's undereating, but she would still be losing.
  • Brianneplus3
    Options
    I recommend a Nintendo Wii fit
    You know I actually thought about that! Lol. I should join my kids in a game or two....or three.
  • terrinicolefit
    Options
    Again, I don't know her age, height, weight, body fat, etc. I don't know what her macros/calories should be and how far off she is. But when your body does go into starvation mode, your metabolism slows down because it doesn't know when it's going to get more calories. It also depends on what her macros consist of, mostly fats and proteins, or mostly carbs, etc.
  • malibu927
    Options
    Again, I don't know her age, height, weight, body fat, etc. I don't know what her macros/calories should be and how far off she is. But when your body does go into starvation mode, your metabolism slows down because it doesn't know when it's going to get more calories. It also depends on what her macros consist of, mostly fats and proteins, or mostly carbs, etc.

That isn't how starvation mode works though. Otherwise anorexics would never lose weight.

aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • Brianneplus3
    Options
    I'm new to this site. What are the macros?
  • terrinicolefit
    Options
    "To lose weight, you need to consume less calories. BUT, if you consume TOO few calories, your metabolism slows down so much so that your body enters a state where weight loss stops completely.

Some people also believe being in this state of not eating enough calories not only prevents weight loss from happening, but it can also cause weight gain."

Literally from the link you just posted.

Not trying to argue, was just suggesting that in order for her to reach her goals, she should calculate her macros versus limiting herself to a 1,000 calorie diet which can hinder progress and cause damage. Just trying to help people reach their goals.
  • Brianneplus3
    Options
    I thank you all for the tips.
  • malibu927
    Options
    "To lose weight, you need to consume less calories. BUT, if you consume TOO few calories, your metabolism slows down so much so that your body enters a state where weight loss stops completely.

Some people also believe being in this state of not eating enough calories not only prevents weight loss from happening, but it can also cause weight gain."

Not trying to argue, was just suggesting that in order for her to reach her goals, she should calculate her macros versus limiting herself to a 1,000 calorie diet which can hinder progress and cause damage. Just trying to help people reach their goals.

You must not have read past there, as they spend the rest of the article disproving it.

Yes, adaptive thermogenesis happens and metabolism slows, but it takes a LONG time for that to happen.

Again, if the OP were TRULY eating 1000 calories and it's been several weeks since she lost, then she's not eating 1000 calories. A higher goal is good, but logging accuracy also needs to come with that.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

@terrinicolefit You took this statement out of context, please read the article if you are going to debate "starvation mode."
  • Brianneplus3
    Options
    @rankinsect totally makes sense! Think long term not immediate. Very encouraging to me. Thanks!! And congrats on your weight loss.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Ok, so if "starvation mode" is a thing, then how do you explain anorexics? Hmmm? Maybe read the rest of the article to see what it really says. It's easy to paste something out of context.

Had you kept reading, you would have seen this-immediately below what you copied:

This, according to most people, is what starvation mode is.

Now with all of this in mind, let’s pretend we have a person who says they’re “eating right” and “eating healthy” and “eating less” and knows for sure that they’re eating an amount of calories that SHOULD cause them to lose weight. But yet, they AREN’T losing any weight.

Based on the definition above, it would make perfect sense for this person to assume that they’ve clearly entered starvation mode due to eating too little/not eating enough. That has to be their problem, right?

I mean, that’s the only logical conclusion a person can come to in this scenario, isn’t it? I guess so.

Well, except for one tiny thing… this definition of starvation mode is *kitten*.

Your Version Of Starvation Mode Is A Myth

Seriously. It’s not real. It’s a myth.

As long as you create a caloric deficit (meaning consume less calories than your body burns, or burn more calories than you consume… just different ways of saying the same thing), then you will lose weight every single time regardless of whether you’re creating a deficit that is small, moderate or large.

Even if your calorie intake is dangerously low (not recommended at all, just making a point), you will still lose weight.

There is no such thing as “I’m not losing any weight because I’m eating too little.” That’s horseshit. And there’s definitely no such thing as “I’m gaining weight because I’m eating too little.” That’s even bigger horseshit that I can only assume would require the presence of an even bigger horse.

And the idea that you skipped breakfast or waited longer than 3 hours between meals (or something equally meaningless) and have now instantly entered starvation mode as a result is too laughable to even warrant another second of discussion.

Create a deficit and weight loss will happen. Calories in vs calories out always applies, no matter how low the “calories in” part is (or really, how low you mistakenly think it is… more on that in a minute).

Simply put, what most people think of starvation mode to be is complete and utter nonsense.
  • nikesandbows
    nikesandbows Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You have no idea how happy I am that yall know starvation mode is a MYTH. :smile: :smile:

Just had to say that ... continue
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    OP, I apologize for the off topic comment, but... Is it wrong that I'm giggling to myself seeing a word that the auto-censoring code didn't kitten that the coders would probably want kittened?

Sorry, back to your normal programming.

*snicker*