Couscous recipes?

Options
Is this a healthy, easy to make meal I can pack for work? I am often about 400 calories under my recomended usage, averaging about 1090 calories a day, so calories isn't too big an issue, but have to watch that fat! Can anyone help?

Replies

• thaisreamy
    thaisreamy Posts: 12 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I love the boxed Near East Couscous. I know that the instructions say to add olive oil or butter but I don't add any to mine, only when I cook for my toddler I add a little bit of butter. I cook it in chicken or beef broth and I love how quick and easy it is!
  • Byrnison
    Byrnison Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love cous cous. I have my own spice mixes that I use to save money buying the packet mixes. If you google spice mixes you'll get some ideas. Just a teaspoon of spice mix through the dry cous cous then make up with a chicken or veg stock cube. I also love it made with roast veg. That might be more of a filling lunch idea - roast a load of Mediterranean type veg with a teeny bit of olive oil (red onions, peppers, courgettes, aubergines...) make up your cous cous with some stock and then add the veg - juices and all. You can add toasted pine nuts, crumbled feta, shredded chicken, whatever you have to hand and your calories allow. I don't put any oil or butter in mine - never have, even before this calorie counting adventure :)
  • Thalie5000
    Thalie5000 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't use cous cous as it holds very little nutritional value. I substitute quinoa for it though in all recipes that require it.
  • tanya1052
    tanya1052 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use a half/half mixture of stock and orange or lemon juice to make mine before adding herbs, dried fruit, vegies and spices, The juice gives it a nice tang
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Thalie5000 wrote: »
    I don't use cous cous as it holds very little nutritional value. I substitute quinoa for it though in all recipes that require it.

thats not a very good couscous recipe