Options

Replies

• shesthetype
    shesthetype Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    20 minute 7k?

See why she's worried? She can do a 5k in 14:14 at that pace so she doesn't want to lose any fitness.

I run a local beach that is 3.6kms long, then back again so it's actually 7.2km in about 20 to 25 minutes. I add short sprints at each end which probably speeds up my time. I actually thought I was on the slower side of things lol

You guys are awesome, all your advice has been very valuable to me. I'm having a second rest day today but mainly because I have a cold and can't breathe properly lol. Otherwise I'd have been doing cardio this morning.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    20 minute 7k?

See why she's worried? She can do a 5k in 14:14 at that pace so she doesn't want to lose any fitness.

I run a local beach that is 3.6kms long, then back again so it's actually 7.2km in about 20 to 25 minutes. I add short sprints at each end which probably speeds up my time. I actually thought I was on the slower side of things lol

You guys are awesome, all your advice has been very valuable to me. I'm having a second rest day today but mainly because I have a cold and can't breathe properly lol. Otherwise I'd have been doing cardio this morning.

Um. At those paces, you are on par with elite runners.
  • shesthetype
    edited August 2016
    Options
    20 minute 7k?

Um. At those paces, you are on par with elite runners.

No way, really? Okay I must be working this out wrong somehow.....nope, just worked it out using 2 different maps and my numbers are still correct. I don't sprint like a nutter the entire time, just a steady constant pace except for my 10 second "run like the cops are after you" sprint at the end lol. I don't know whether to feel proud or suspicious of my accuracy lol
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's definitely the 10 seconds of sprinting that's putting you over the top
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Something is amiss here in those times. If you are running 7.2km in 25 minutes, that means you are running at over 10mph. Usain Bolt, the fastest man in the world, sprints all out at just over 20mph. I don't think you are running at half the pace of the fastest sprinter alive, especially along a beach/in the sand. Maybe the route is 3.6km round trip and you've been doubling it?
  • shesthetype
    Options
    Something is amiss here in those times. If you are running 7.2km in 25 minutes, that means you are running at over 10mph. Usain Bolt, the fastest man in the world, sprints all out at just over 20mph. I don't think you are running at half the pace of the fastest sprinter alive, especially along a beach/in the sand. Maybe the route is 3.6km round trip and you've been doubling it?

Here is the beach and map so you can get a better idea. It says 3.6km one way but maybe I'm still messing up my numbers somehow?

http://www.mapmywalk.com/nz/rothesay-bay-auckland/stanmore-bay-beach-walk-route-10552879
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I believe you're doubling the distance accidentally. Notice the map shows start and finish at the same point? 3.6km is for the total round trip. Sorry, no Olympic dream for you this year ;)
  • shesthetype
    Options
    Yeah, I believe you're doubling the distance accidentally. Notice the map shows start and finish at the same point? 3.6km is for the total round trip. Sorry, no Olympic dream for you this year ;)

Haha thank you for clarifying! I did think the numbers were a bit odd. Geez I'm a derp lol.

• shesthetype
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Okay now I'm MEGA confused because I mapped a drive on the road alongside the beach and it is indeed 3.6kms one way. Aaaaargh.....

EDIT: Okay, worked it out properly now and it is indeed 7.2kms. I've been training for a long time so maybe I'm just fitter than the average person?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Haha thank you for clarifying! I did think the numbers were a bit odd. Geez I'm a derp lol.

No problem! I knew what you did, as I've confused myself the same way with Map my Run maps. Still, 20 min on sand for that distance is nice pace! Cheers!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    That motto is most applicable if one is working out 20-30 or more hours a week and at maximal a few sessions in a week, but for the rest of us it depends. Vast recreationals and amateurs really don't train that hard. Most of us will crack mentality before hitting our physical limitations.

OP, listen to your body.

20-30 hours per week? Not true. It's applicable to those who are doing 7 - 15 hours per week as well. Especially those who are age 40 and above...

Don't forget intensity, periodized training, peaking, and tapering. I'm in the peak/taper portion of my training cycle and it is amazing what the build up of the past 22 weeks has led to in this cycle. Much fewer hours on tap for me this week, next and beyond compared to what I've been through. Nothing over 8 hours per week in this peak week...
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    20-30 hours per week? Not true. It's applicable to those who are doing 7 - 15 hours per week as well. Especially those who are age 40 and above...

Don't forget intensity, periodized training, peaking, and tapering. I'm in the peak/taper portion of my training cycle and it is amazing what the build up of the past 22 weeks has led to in this cycle. Much fewer hours on tap for me this week, next and beyond compared to what I've been through. Nothing over 8 hours per week in this peak week...

15 hours a week over 6 day @ 80/20 is roughly 900 TSS or 150 TSS/day. Where "150-300 is medium work load (some residual fatigue may be present the next day, but gone by 2nd day)" A. Coggan. 7 hours is roughly 460 TSS @ 80/20, 77 TSS/day. 77 TSS is a 60 minutes ride with ~30 minutes at sweet spot ride (0% high) or ~15 minutes at 105%-120% of FTP. Good but not a very hard workout. A second rest day a week is nice but not necessarily. I do plan it every third week to make sure I'm not too fatigued (been lazy recently and more like every other since July).

At 48 and only riding for the last two years after 23 hiatus, I feel it on the 2nd day on a 250+ TSS/day but fine under 200 (depending on whether my AWC is in a depleted state for majority of ride). 15 hours a week is my upper limit with a 9-5 job and not crazy doing 80/20. 8 hours a week @ 80/20 is my sweet spot as I find it hard to hit the intensity riding outdoors (flatlander) and need the trainer.

Haven't used TRIMP since college but same idea.
  • shesthetype
    Options
    You guys are like scientists with your formulas and here I am struggling to work out how long my beach run is LOL
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you really are running that fast, I wouldn't be asking us anything. You're easily the fastest person on these forums and we should be asking you for advice.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Okay now I'm MEGA confused because I mapped a drive on the road alongside the beach and it is indeed 3.6kms one way. Aaaaargh.....

EDIT: Okay, worked it out properly now and it is indeed 7.2kms. I've been training for a long time so maybe I'm just fitter than the average person?

It's a little more than just more fit than the average person. You would be running a 5k on sand faster than the women who qualified for the US Olympic team running on a track.

At your lower end, you'd be winning a lot of local road races.
  • shesthetype
    Options

It's a little more than just more fit than the average person. You would be running a 5k on sand faster than the women who qualified for the US Olympic team running on a track.

I FINALLY managed to crunch the numbers properly and the result is....it's 3.6km round trip, not one way. Now I feel like a complete drongoloid for telling people my best time because I look like a massive liar lol. So I'd say 3.6kms in 20 to 25 minutes is low to average in time. On the upside, I have new goals to set now :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

I FINALLY managed to crunch the numbers properly and the result is....it's 3.6km round trip, not one way. Now I feel like a complete drongoloid for telling people my best time because I look like a massive liar lol. So I'd say 3.6kms in 20 to 25 minutes is low to average in time. On the upside, I have new goals to set now :)

That's not shabby at all. The only reason people question the times before is that while running a 20 minute 5k is a pretty good goal for most fit people, each 30 seconds or so that you drop off of that takes an exponential amount of effort. Going from 22 minutes 20 minutes is really hard work. Getting from 20 down to 18 is more than double the effort of the previous goal.

No worries at all. If you're wanting to make tracking easier and you're interested in seeing times improved (some people don't care) then get a GPS watch or just run an app on your phone while you run. (Strava, RunKeeper, etc.)
    That makes tracking pretty easy.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

That's not shabby at all. The only reason people question the times before is that while running a 20 minute 5k is a pretty good goal for most fit people, each 30 seconds or so that you drop off of that takes an exponential amount of effort. Going from 22 minutes 20 minutes is really hard work. Getting from 20 down to 18 is more than double the effort of the previous goal.

No worries at all. If you're wanting to make tracking easier and you're interested in seeing times improved (some people don't care) then get a GPS watch or just run an app on your phone while you run. (Strava, RunKeeper, etc.)
    That makes tracking pretty easy.

All of this.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I take rest days when I feel I need one or when my schedule dictates. It's not necessarily every week. As long as there's some variety (i.e. not lifting or doing cardio every day), and you're not training for hours, you should be fine.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Your fitness and health will suffer if you do not prioritize recovery and rest days. You can actually cause a lot of harm to your body (and your fitness level will plateau) if you don't rest enough.

Trust me, I understand the psychological part of not wanting to rest and recover. However, if you educate yourself on it and realize you can actually make rest and recovery feel like training - then that part won't bother you. Since I sit at a desk most of the day my rest and recover usually involves walking, light aqua work, and lots of foam rolling. I make recovery a priority and see it as part of my training program.

If you are looking to take two days of rest instead of one, perhaps re-evaluate your entire training routine. You may need to switch some stuff up. If you don't follow a real training program, then you may want to look into one that fits your goals.