HELP! Workout Routine for Scatterbrain: PiiT vs Tone It up (Bikini Babe) ??

Options
southrnchic479
southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey y'all,

So I've been looking at different routines out there and reading reviews, but I wanted to ask the MFP community and get some feedback.

First off, I've been exercising for about 2.5 months, 3x a week. Workout consists of 30 min on treadmill ( walk 3.5-4 mph for 5 min / run 5mph for 10-15 min / walk 5 min / run 5 min / cool down walk ) and some weighted and non weighted exercises (tea pots with 20 lb weight, crunches, sit ups, various body weight core exercises.

BUT I'm not seeing the fat shed off like I want to. I am seeing some results, but I feel like I should be losing more fat in my midsection. My weight has remained relatively the same (forgot to take before measurements :/) but I do see tightening and more general flatness in my core, even though I've still got the flab over top. I've researched HiiT and it seems like maybe that's something I need to be doing.

From my research, it seems like PiiT (from Blogilates) or Tone It Up might work for me but I want to know what y'all think. The reason I think they will work is because everything is calendared and scheduled and the girls seem upbeat and encouraging (I could NEVER do the Hard Corps or P90x style stuff - I need it to be fun!). I know there are free resources out there, but I am so indecisive and scatterbrained that I find it hard to put together a workout routine and SCHEDULE, much less the right one to get me the results I want. I need somebody to be like, "here - this is what you need to do." I feel like I've already wasted almost 3 months so I want to be doing something that WORKS!

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading!!

xo
Ellie

Replies

• angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about PiiT but I have seen some of the Tone It Up workouts and those look pretty effective and seem to have a lot of variety to keep the boredom at bay.

You say you have been working out for 2.5 months (great job, btw!). Have you been incorporating nutrition into your plan? Working out is amazing for your body and mind and will get you that muscle your body needs to look lean and in shape (which could be why the scale is showing you the same-ish number - losing fat but gaining muscle will hold your weight steady). However, without the nutritional aspect...you'll only get so far, and progress will be slow going.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Only way to lose weight is in the kitchen - eat fewer calories than you burn which means you need to start counting your calories against your weight loss goal.
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    Hey thanks for the reply. Piit is Pilates Intense Interval Training - the creator Cassey Ho combined Pilates with HiiT. She isn't as toned as the girls from Tone It Up, however, it would be a starting (continuing? lol) point for me I think.

As far as nutrition goes, yes I have been logging in MFP for oh, 4 years now? (not straight, I've fallen off the bandwagon :P). But it wasn't until I started working out that I took a look at my macros and have started eating 40/30/30 Carb/Protein/Fat. I eat 1200 calories a day. I try not to eat toooooo many processed foods but I do have things like Quest bars, beanitos (black bean tortilla chips - I love them lol), lately I've been eating frozen lunches (Smart Ones/Healthy Choice/Cedar Lane) which I know is TERRIBLE for me :/ - need to start prepping some grilled chicken or something on the weekends for the workweek instead. I eat greek yogurt almost daily, nuts and cheese. I don't eat a lot of fruit or veggies though because of all the calories I get I have to eat so much protein it feels like a waste of calories.

I thought the same for my steady weight, but I'm just like what the heck lol because my scale has the body fat sensor thing (not sure how accurate that is though) and it says I'm at like 26.5% BF!! - if that is the case, I feel like I should be dropping it faster now that I'm actually active...I guess that's just my wishful thinking. Either way, I need to step it up with my fitness.
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Okay. I got ya. Honestly, even an INTENSE Pilates training is not going to cut down your fat in a significant way. I took a gander at the program from a few YouTube videos and her website. It'll build up some muscle and strength for you, lean you out a bit from the stretching, but won't be intense enough to cut down on the fat like you're probably wanting. I do PiYo as a supplemental workout. I love it but if it weren't for my strength/cardio circuit training...it would do little on its own. I am the type that feels like I've wasted my time if I don't feel like I got my a** handed to me during a workout. Not everyone is like this so obviously it's going to come down to what program you feel most comfortable tackling.

Sounds like a good distribution of macros you have going. You may want to take your fat down to 25%. I found that 30% every day was too high for me. If I hit 30% SOME DAYS, that is fine...but consistently, I try to stay around 25% if not less. How long have you been eating 1200 calories?? If it's been for quite some time, you may want to take this up a couple hundred calories. Your body may have adjusted and your metabolism may have slowed down. As far as the processed food issue, don't beat yourself up about that. Obviously, fresh and homemade is best. However, there have been studies done that prove you can lose weight and tone up while eating 100% "crap" foods. I wouldn't recommend that, but you're fine with Quest Bars (I eat them myself and LOVE em) and things like Beanitos. The frozen lunches, however, get rid of those. Soooooo much sodium. On occasion, they're fine. As a regular go-to...that literally will just make you pack on the water weight/bloat. If you keep an eye on that sodium and keep it around 2000mg/day, I bet that will be enough to see the scale move, too. After a Saturday of drinks and not calorie-counting, I can (no joke) put on up to 10lbs of water weight. I'm not even talking a binge here, just drinking wine and some snacks. It's awful, but the body responds very negatively to an influx of sodium. Anyhow, if you're being totally upfront about your nutrition, those are the best suggestions I can make because you don't sound too far off from a superb diet.

That scale feature may not be 100% accurate but they are accurate enough to tell you if there's progress. You still want there to be movement in that percentage.
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    angelwowings23 - thank you so much!!! I've been doing the 1200 for 3 months. Glad to hear you mention bumping up the calories a couple hundred - I had thought about that myself (because of my metabolism) but wasn't sure if I should or not. I took a look at my charts on here - I'm pretty consistently over on my sodium so I will def be watching that and cutting out the frozen foods. Took at look at the fat too, I could stand to bump it down a notch (where do I put the remaining 5% - protein or carbs?)

So, it seems you prefer way more intense cardio than I do, but do you have any recs on dvds or youtubers that are more upbeat/fun? Maybe people you've heard others rave about?

PS going to follow you on instagram! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OK a few corrections - while it's possible within the realm of fitness to see muscle gains and fat loss, it won't really happen on a 1200 calorie diet, and won't happen with pilates or HIIT. A person needs progressive overload to continue to break down muscle tissue and for it to rebuilt.

Next, reducing fats and increase carbs wont' make a difference outside of personal satiety and personal preference. In the end, calories are what matters in terms of weight loss. Adequate protein and non aggressive weight loss is what will help you maintain muscle. In general macros should be around:

protein .8-1g per lb of lean body mass (roughly .6-.8g per lb of weight
    fats .35-.6g per lb of lean body mass
    carbs rest

And within that, carbs and fats are highly personal (it's really based on dietary adherence).

If your goal is to lose some fat and gain some muscle, you adequate stimuli to do so. Meaning, you want a progressive overload lifting program (i.e., like one of these) and fairly solid nutrition.

Now, in general terms, 1200 calories may not be right for you. In many cases, like when people are active, it is not good. But without knowing your stats, it's hard to tell. Another thing that needs to be considered is adequate expectations. When you are lower in body fat, it takes longer to get to your goal and becomes increasingly more important to track calories.
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback psulemon. When I first started this journey, I weighed around 165 pounds or so (I truly don't remember, it was a long time ago!). I am 5'5" and MFP put me on 1200 calories. I've stuck with that and never bumped it up. I work 8 hours a day in an office, on a computer. I walk on average (according to MFP) 1600 steps a day, plus I work out 3x a week. I currently weigh 143lb and according to my scale, I'm 26% BF (:cry: lol).

I will definitely take a look at the link you provided later this evening (when boss isn't over my shoulder :lol:)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Did you put 2 lbs per week? MFP is kind of a dumby system and relies on your inputs. It's also, pre workout calories. Once you workout, you are supposed to eat more.

• southrnchic479
    Options
    Yes I did - I do usually eat back some or all. So maybe I'll eat like 1300-1450 altogether? on my workout days only of course.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yes I did - I do usually eat back some or all. So maybe I'll eat like 1300-1450 altogether? on my workout days only of course.

How much are you losing per week?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

How much are you losing per week?

That, and how much are you trying to lose?
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    I'm not [losing]...that's part of my issue lol. But I'm also not gaining (trading fat for muscle? I have yet to lose inches since my last measurement - but I also took a week and a half off on vacation).

As far as how much....To be honest I'm not sure 130 sounds good...125 sounds good too...but I'm going mostly by how I look/feel and the goal weight is just more of a reference point.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? Are you logging calories each day? Have you double checked the food entries?

These are the biggest reasons why people aren't losing. Even trained professional under count calories by as much as 400 per day. Enough to be in maintenance.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    You're trying to lose 130 lbs? That's what I asked.

Or your goal weight is 130 lbs? Which is what it looks like you meant. That's fine. If that's your goal, then what are you now?
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    Sorry... TR0berts - my goal is 130. I am 143 right now.

psulemon - no food scale, most of what I eat is pre-portioned or if not I measure with tablespoons/cups. On occasion when cooking dinner I might pull out the scale. Usually if it's portions of chicken I'm not too concerned (if they are all roughly same size), and as far as rice and stuff goes, I typically eyeball it - if I'm even eating any.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    In that case, 2 lb per week is too aggressive a loss. With that little to lose, you'll be losing a bit of lean mass, too. That said, it sounds like your estimations are off a bit.

I'll recommend using the food scale for everything you can - it'll likely be a real eye-opener.

That, in addition to setting MFP up to lose 0.5, maybe 1 lb per week. Also, follow the macro outlines psulemon mentioned above.

Also, like psulemon linked above, some form of progressive strength training will help you keep more (possibly build) muscle, while losing primarily fat.

Not that you have to do exactly what she did, but just as an example: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Sorry... TR0berts - my goal is 130. I am 143 right now.

psulemon - no food scale, most of what I eat is pre-portioned or if not I measure with tablespoons/cups. On occasion when cooking dinner I might pull out the scale. Usually if it's portions of chicken I'm not too concerned (if they are all roughly same size), and as far as rice and stuff goes, I typically eyeball it - if I'm even eating any.

So I am in a similar situation as you. I am fairly lean (16% body fat). I have found that i struggle to get much lower unless I am logging my calories daily and using a food scale. There is just so little room for error. I would highly recommend a good food scale. You will be surprised how much of a difference it makes.

But I still work suggest a good 3 day full body routine.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far!

I started using Blogilates a few years ago, and found her routines to be incredibly entertaining, especially when Cassey yelled about her abs being on fire, or the 100 burpees video (never again!). I lost about 15lb in a month doing just her videos, 1 hr a day, following her calendar. I started out at 205 and got to about 190lb. I was also following her meal plan (I'm not sure if it is still posted on her website), but it wasn't very nutrient-dense, or the best for me. Unfortunately, I gained back a lot of that weight I lost with her videos, and then some.

While I think her videos are great supplements, I would not focus on doing just her routine. Maybe take 2x out of the week and do her calendar videos. They are a great burn, but like many others have said on this forum, isn't going to get rid of the fat.

One of the best ways to lose body fat is weightlifting. There are plenty of beginner programs out there (StrongLifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women, etc) that will teach you step-by-step how to do barbell squats, deadlifts, bench presses, etc. These moves are fundamental. Don't worry about "bulking" -- because that does not happen for women unless you take a lot of supplements.

Cardio is good for increasing your endurance, and HIIT cardio (intervals over 20-30 minutes where you run faster than your normal run speed, and then walk, jog) will all help.

To give you an idea, I'm a schedule person myself, so this is what I've been doing:

I am currently doing Erin Stern's Elite Body on Bodybuilding.com (which is also a great resource if you need to look up videos on how to do certain moves). It's 4 days of weightlifting (including core exercises), 2 days of cardio. I also do yoga (I'm aiming for at least 3 days a week on yoga) to help with flexibility, endurance, and core.

And to reiterate what a lot of others have said, accurately weighing your food (not just measuring it out in cups/tablespoons) will really help with logging.

Scooby's Workshop has a good calculator you can use (just google scooby's workshop bodyfat calculator and it should pop up) to give you a better idea of what your calorie intake should be. You can also play around with their macro calculator too.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I think your focus is in the wrong place. Exercise should be thought of as a tool to shape the body you want with the added benefit of an additional caloric burn. Your main focus should be on accurate caloric tracking, as accurate as possible. My personal opinion is that no one (except morbidly obese individuals or extremely petite women) should be on a 1200 calorie a day diet plan. For anyone that doesn't fit within those two categories, it's a sure way to lose muscle mass, especially if you aren't devouring protein. For someone that is close to goal weight, you should find out what your TDEE is and use that as a guide.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Tone It Up is a like a cult... one I personally can't stand. No such thing as "toning!" There is no need to spend that kind of money when you can get exercise programs that are just as effective or better, for free off the internet, etc.