In a quandary

Options
If I eat the amount of protein I need I am way over my calorie count and don't get enough fiber. If I reduce protein and go for fiber I am still over calories and not enough protein. How is it possible to get the required amount of protein, fiber and still stay within 1200 calories? I can't figure it out.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Lower cal protein sources could be chicken breast, tuna, eggs, protein powder, greek yogurt. Lentils and beans will give you protein and fiber. I should eat more fiber, but most of mine comes from produce, oatmeal, and high-fiber protein bars.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    OK looked at you diary and saw one day filled out.

Add chicken or tuna to your salad.
    Swap our your low fat vanilla yoghurt for low fat greek yogurt-plain. That will up your protein. and decrease calories.
    add a cup of blueberries or strawberries. Eat a cucumber with peel on, chew some carrots. Add a plum or 2.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    lilystan wrote: »
    If I eat the amount of protein I need I am way over my calorie count and don't get enough fiber. If I reduce protein and go for fiber I am still over calories and not enough protein. How is it possible to get the required amount of protein, fiber and still stay within 1200 calories? I can't figure it out.

Shrimp or quest bars and lots of veggies.
  • lilystan
    lilystan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    yes I've been using my own excel spreadsheet. Just started again with this one today. Been switching up higher protein one day and more fiber another. Can't do it all in one day without going over my calorie limit. Thanks for your input.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    meritage4 wrote: »

Swap our your low fat vanilla yoghurt for low fat greek yogurt-plain. That will up your protein. and decrease calories.
    add a cup of blueberries or strawberries. Eat a cucumber with peel on, chew some carrots. Add a plum or 2.

Am I missing something magical about greek yogurt or isn't plain greek yogurt very different taste-wise from regular vanilla yogurt? I can make it work if I'm getting a special flavor but plain greek yogurt just tastes like I'm eating sour cream for me :astonished:

Plain greek yogurt has more protein, sometimes more than twice the protein of regular yogurt depending on brand without being a calorie hit. Flavoured greek might have a few more calories because of added sugar.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    4e7a97df-8778-47d1-8a15-2b42a3d27636_1.25881c60bfcd153d18a041b03d923d09.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
    50 calories
    10 or 11 mg insoluble fiber.

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I focus on protein first....that way the carbs/fat takes care of itself (seemingly for me anyway). Then I start looking at fiber. I don't ever care if I go over on protein because I know I typically have lean protein's.

With the fiber, I do two things. First, Special K used to have "protein water" pink lemonade packets with 5 G protein and 5 g fiber. They don't make it anymore, so I went to GNC and got a can of fiber and a bag of whey protein, and then got Crystal Light pink lemonade from the store. I have 1 packet of the lemonade, and add enough of the protein powder and fiber to get about 5 g of the protein and fiber. It really takes the edge off of hunger. I'll have that between lunch/dinner usually or after dinner.

The other thing is I get protein/fiber bars from www.healthsmartfoods.com. There are usually coupons on retailmenot.com. There are about 10 G protein, 10 g fiber in them. 1-2 of those a day - bingo. THere's also these nut cluster thingies that are about 35 calories and have about 6 g fiber per cluster. 2 come in a pouch - so I usually have both for 70 calories and 12 g fiber.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Am I missing something magical about greek yogurt or isn't plain greek yogurt very different taste-wise from regular vanilla yogurt? I can make it work if I'm getting a special flavor but plain greek yogurt just tastes like I'm eating sour cream for me :astonished:

I can't eat plain yogurt either, it's too tart and bland, i add protein powder, vanilla essence or pb2 to mine. Plain greek yogurt is often higher protein and fat and lower carbs/sugar than other varieties, especially the flavoured kinds.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As others have noted the Greek yogurt is higher in protein. If tartness is an issue add a little artificial sweetener and vanilla.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A high fiber low cal meal is a salad.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    As much as I'd like to like plain Greek yogurt, the only thing I can eat it on is a baked potato. I like Dannon Light & Fit vanilla or coconut at 80 cals.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    As much as I'd like to like plain Greek yogurt, the only thing I can eat it on is a baked potato. I like Dannon Light & Fit vanilla or coconut at 80 cals.

Which has 6 grams of protein as opposed to 15 in a plain Greek yogurt.
  • lilystan
    Options
    My yogurt is in fact greek yogurt. I am going to try a 3/4 cup of plain greek yoghurt at lunch today with diced fresh peach blended in the ninja- hope it works.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Plain greek yogurt is more tart than vanilla because the all flavored yogurts (both regular and greek) are also sweetened. I like to get plain so I can control the flavoring and sweetening myself. Brand matters, too. I find Fage to much less "tangy" than Dannon or Yoplait.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    lilystan wrote: »

In addition to the lean proteins and veggies already mentioned, I suggest switching one of your bread servings to a high-fiber, high protein option. Something like a Flatout wrap or Carb Balance tortilla can add quite a bit of fiber & protein for the same calories as a regular bread serving.
  • lilystan
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't eat regular bread, I eat 7 grain - per slice it is 120 cal, 3 g fiber. 5 g protein. Cut 1 slice in half for a sandwich so tuna sandwich is 230 calories and 20 g protein. Not much fiber but 2 slices would be way too many calories.
  • weequay
    weequay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    psyllium powder - top up your fiber without calories
  • dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I use the chobani plain greek yogurt and it has 22 grams of protein per cup for only 130 calories. I use 1/2 cup in my morning smoothie with protein powder so that brings me up to 30+ grams for breakfast. Also a treat at night is yogurt with frozen blueberries and a tiny drizzle of honey. The blueberries make the yogurt an ice cream consistency. I hated plain yogurt at first but my tastebuds have come around and now I love it. You can always doctor it up with cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla extract or flavored stevia drops.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »

Which has 6 grams of protein as opposed to 15 in a plain Greek yogurt.

No, Dannon Light & Fit has 12g of protein.