Motivation is difficult

Options
I love food. Food has always been an art to me.
It's so hard trying to cut down omg...
So I've constantly been on again and off again...
I thought I was doing great for a week.
Then my parents decided to order pizza yesterday...
I decided to just have a salad in my room...
The pizza smell flew into my room...
eh...I ended up eating 5 pieces...
So I thought to myself...it's just one day...can't be too bad...
I woke up this morning...went to go find some breakfast...
Ate the leftover pizza...all 4 pieces...
It's strange, but whenever I'm trying to cut down my parents look like devils...
They seem to be eating good stuff everyday...so difficult...
What do you guys do for motivation?
I need to isolate myself from the kitchen...if I see it, hear it, smell it...it's done...finished...ahh..help me

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't have luck eliminating any foods so I will figure out how much can fit into my plan. So if my husband wants pizza, I will have some, along with some salad. Just not five pieces (unless five pieces fits into my plan for the day). Telling myself that I can have pizza when I want to allows me to have great success with controlling my portions.

Do you think this might work for you?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    fellow foodie i feel you. Might i suggest you visit skinnytaste.com … the answer for us foodies is to make tasty delicious low calorie foods. It is amazing the recipes on that website. I like the Jalapeno popper chicken. I'm making a chicken curry bowl for lunch today. I have to have flavor and good food.. it makes life fun for me. So..the only answer is to not eat a salad in your bedroom.. but learn how to make a super thin crust pizza that is 300-400 calories.. eat and enjoy. ( I use a 90 calorie flatbread to make mine)
  • msanc095
    msanc095 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone in this. I loveeeee food!!!!And I have also been on and off with my weight lost journey. I think what is helping me now is knowing that I can still eat what I love as long as it is within my calories goal. Like I feel that the reason why I have fail so many times is because I have restricted myself so much that at the end I feel unhappy and unsatisfied. That's what I love about MFP that it has helped me take control of my portions and plan my meals throughout the day. I must admit sometimes I go over my calories and I love looking at my diary and knowing what i could have avoided or eaten less of. If you want pizza there is nothing wrong with eating it. You could of probably ate one or two slices with salad. Have you told your family of your weight lost plans? If you haven't then maybe you should so that they can help you in avoiding temptation. In regards to the kitchen, try keeping as many healthy options as possible. Stop buying junk food and fill your kitchen with healthy stuff so that you have no option but to eat that. I love chocolate ice cream so I don't buy it at all. If I do eat ice cream is only outside my house where I am a little more portion control. Just take it slow. I just recently started to take this journey more seriously since now I know so much and is working. I haven't stop eating sweets.
  • sutibo
    sutibo Posts: 71 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Agreed, the thing is not to focus on the things you're not allowed - just to focus on how much of them fits into your goals.

I struggle with motivation so I've decided to make myself accountable to a real life weight loss group. If I know I'm being weighed every week then I'm less likely to let them (and therefore myself) down. I may not follow their plan but I like the group and we're all working towards the same goal. That's one of the things that keeps me motivated.

• aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Exercise willpower.

I don't cut anything from my diet or restrict any foods. If I really want something, I'll find a way to work it into my day. My work always provides pizza and I usually a) don't have any or, b) have 1-2 pieces and fit it into my calories.

Maybe pre-logging your meals will help you?
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I will try it out.
    Great to know MFP members are always there to help me.
    Hopefully, i can do the same for you in the future!
    Good luck and thanks!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    "Food has always been an art to me . . ."

I try to recognize when I really like something or think it's special and not treat all food that way. Like Papa John's pizza (since you used pizza in your example) - it's pizza, it's ok, it's always at my boyfriend's house. Sometimes I need to eat a piece or two because it's fuel and that's what he's giving me for dinner. But it's not like some of my favorite local shops and trucks that have just gorgeous slices. Those are more rare, a treat, and I give myself permission to eat larger quantities on those occasions because it's amazing and limiting myself to just one slice isn't doing anyone any good. I save for them, and I work for them. And I'm not trying to be a food snob here - if it's late night Taco Bell or stadium nachos that you love, make them the priority and work to fit them in to your day or week!

I also now spend more time cooking for others, and that provides satisfaction too. . . food is still fun, I just kinda trained myself to do other things with it and not just shovel it in.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My husband got spice chicken pizza takeaway tonight so I got a baked potato with spicy chicken and cheese. Same flavours, less cals. Some pizza places do under 500cal pizzas.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yeah try and make your own version of 'good foods' I make my own burgers from scratch even if it's a skinless chicken breast with seasoning etc plus weigh and make my own potato wedges rather than ordering take out.
    I discovered making own pizza cauliflower pizza...which is blended cauliflower baked as the base then toppings like low fat cheese or parmasen plus shredded turkey etc. Doing this I love because it's a challenge, makes you think outside of box rather than being lazy and ordering take out. Which is the habit u could be trying to break right? Plus who wants to eat bloody chicken salad every day. Hell no. What helps me is I plan all meals for week. I look ahead if I have any social gatherings etc plan meals around that. So I don't get to weekend and have no food left and I might be tempted to get take away.
    If you're still at home and don't do shopping etc maybe u and your mum could get together and do it as a thing together ?