Hard-boil eggs in the oven — not in a pot? What?

cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I read this:
Please confirm somebody.
Hard-boil eggs in the oven — not in a pot.
An excellent source of protein, vitamins A and B and healthy fat, eggs should be a staple snack for any health fiend. The problem: You can usually only fit up to five eggs in a pot. To make a delicious dozen in one go, bake your eggs in muffin tins at 350 degrees for just 30 minutes. Remove and put the eggs in a bucket of ice water for at least 10 minutes. Ta-da! You’ll get a perfectly hard-boiled batch. Pro tip: Do a small test run first to ensure your oven doesn’t run too hot or too cold before cooking a full pan of eggs.

oimaalmkgu1t.jpg

http://dailyburn.com/life/health/meal-prep-ideas-healthy-eating/

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Um, 350? 400? 275?
  • cee134
    edited, 350
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I usually cook mine in the oven at 325, but I follow the rest of the advice. I cook a batch for the week, shell them, and store them in tupperware. They come out exactly like a har boiled egg except you might get a few brown spots around the outside of the white.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Ah, I see clicking the link within the link you posted tells the temp.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I've had them this way. No different than boiled eggs. I just boil them though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I've done it but every time a side of them was a little bit burned.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    but...why?
  • cee134
    It's for people with small pots, because you can cook 24 eggs this way (or whatever).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    but...why?

It's more fool proof than on the stove. I always undercook my eggs on the stove. Sigh.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    I use this method also. I found my eggs never peeled well when I boiled them on the stove and was wasting so much egg. They peel perfectly every single time following the oven method. I'll never boil them again.
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Thanks browneyes, I was wondering what they peeled like. For me thats the deciding factor so I may give this a try to see if they are easier to peel, I have a family (and large pots) so I normally do more than a dozen at a time and sometimes lose a lot of egg to the peeling process.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    I use an egg microwaver. Takes 8 minutes. Works awesome.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I can fit a lot more than 5 eggs in a pot on the stove and it takes less time than the baking method so I don't get it.
    I have made eggs in the oven but they were removed from the shell before cooking.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I use this method also. I found my eggs never peeled well when I boiled them on the stove and was wasting so much egg. They peel perfectly every single time following the oven method. I'll never boil them again.

Once I switched to the Hot Start method I stopped having problems peeling eggs: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

My Joy of Cooking recommends Cold Start - first time it's let me down in 30 years.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I use to cook a lot of hard boiled eggs - - using Jacque Pepin's technique - - and I usually cooked a carton of 18 eggs at a time in one of my 10 qt pots.

I have even cooked 36 eggs at one time but stopped doing that because I didn't eat them fast enough.

I still eat a lot of eggs - - mostly raw in my protein shakes - - and still make a few - - 6 at most - - hard boiled eggs from time to time. I got tired of making and eating them in such quantity but may do it again some time in the future.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    I can fit half a dozen eggs in my tiniest pan :s
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    in Thailand I saw some folks grilling them! always seemed to work...
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    I use my pressure cooker. 6 minutes on steam setting with about a cup of water in the bottom. Ice bath, easy peel and done.