7-month plateau - getting desperate

Options

Replies

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Do your own diligence on Google and YouTube.
    Coz everything there is gospel!
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    mengqiz86 wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Something's off. If you were truly eating as little as you are tracking (most days I saw were around 1000 calories) and training for a marathon, you would be losing weight at a scary fast pace. (Never mind how you would have the energy to train.)

That's why I'm puzzled. I average 30-50miles a week with speedwork once a week. I get a good pace going - about 7 to 8 min pace. I eat a high carb snack 30 min before runs for energy. I can never go low carb because of the training.
    I will start weighing food before logging but so far I really do try to log everything at least by portion size/volume. Does it really matter THAT much if I logged 5 strawberries as # berries vs grams? Still, nothing. No loss whatsoever. Not even inches. Im getting faster, running further and lifting heavier though. So at least some progress somewhere.

Let me ask you this. What would you rather it be? Something tiny and easy to fix (if a teeny bit embarrassing) such as portion accuracy? Or a huge problem such as a major metabolic disorder?

Not sure I follow your logic.. I was under the impression that I should weigh my food because I might be under-estimating caloric intake and eating more than I thought; by weighing, I am supposed to be eating less. If you are saying my current status quo could cause a major metabolic disorder, how will eating even less - through weighing - prevent that from happening?

You should weigh your food because you might be underestimating caloric intake, but you seem really annoyed with the notion that you might be underestimating calorie intake, and continually minimizing the impact that might have on your log. You aren't just eating strawberries, you're eating rice and chicken and pineapple and a ton of other things that can be more accurately logged by weighing.

I am in no way saying what you are doing could cause a metabolic disorder (largely because I don't think you're eating as little as you think you are), but you are so resistant to the notion that this is a simple logging problem, it almost sounds like you want it to be something medical.

Nah, I know it's not medical. Ruled that out a while ago, as I mentioned in the first post. Not exactly resistant to weighing.. I am probably just a little incredulous that the lack of weighing can lead to SUCH high miscalculation. At least 4 days a week, I log about 1200cal of food, and burn 400-800cal from running. That's a net caloric intake of 400-800 cal. I would need to be underestimating nearly 1000cal for that day to be at maintenance level. So.. Just a little hard to believe, that's all.
  • mengqiz86
    Options
    So nobody thinks that I should take a temporary break from dieting, increase caloric intake for a week by a few hundred kcal, and let the metabolism recover? The consensus seems to be that it's "fatlogic" and "broscience"?
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    So nobody thinks that I should take a temporary break from dieting, increase caloric intake for a week by a few hundred kcal, and let the metabolism recover? The consensus seems to be that it's "fatlogic" and "broscience"?

Read my post above. I actually think you could be undereating, but without the testing I mentioned you're still guessing.

If you don't want to do the tests, then sure, consider taking a break. It will be good for your state of mind if nothing else.

You can also consider my and gonetothedogs19's advice to try LCHF. I train very hard and very successfully on a low carb approach.

Good luck.
  • mengqiz86
    Options

Read my post above. I actually think you could be undereating, but without the testing I mentioned you're still guessing.

If you don't want to do the tests, then sure, consider taking a break. It will be good for your state of mind if nothing else.

You can also consider my and gonetothedogs19's advice to try LCHF. I train very hard and very successfully on a low carb approach.

Good luck.

Thanks! Yeah I think I will go get my basal metabolic rate tested. As for LCHF.. I tried a few weeks of low carb but I have no energy to train.. I would bonk out at 3 miles.. Lol. I did read that the body can be trained to use fat as a source of energy by going low carb, which can be very beneficial for endurance sports.. So probably worth trying again.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a marathon an losing at 2300 calories a day. I feel like there's something you're not logging everyday. Maybe you think, "oh I ran 15 miles today so I don't have to log that,"
    I would die in training if I ate as little as you do on some days.
  • mengqiz86
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think the biggest takeaway is the reality check that the numbers don't make sense. I will log more diligently and provide updates in a month. Closing my diary now. Appreciate all the input!
  • mauranykanen534
    mauranykanen534 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation and of course really frustrated. I run marathon, I train hard and I am slightly under my calorie goal everyday, after over a month I didn't loose weight, if worse I got one kg more. In disbelieve I wrote to K. Aleisha Fetters, one of MFP nutritionist and I got the answer:
    " You may not be consuming enough calories to loose weight. If the deficit is too big gaining weight is very possible because your body is slowing down the metabolic rate..." The problem is I can't eat more I don't feel like, or it may be an unconscious fear of gain more weight. I don't know just still frustrated but I'll keep trying.
  • mengqiz86
    Options
    I am in the same situation and of course really frustrated. I run marathon, I train hard and I am slightly under my calorie goal everyday, after over a month I didn't loose weight, if worse I got one kg more. In disbelieve I wrote to K. Aleisha Fetters, one of MFP nutritionist and I got the answer:
    " You may not be consuming enough calories to loose weight. If the deficit is too big gaining weight is very possible because your body is slowing down the metabolic rate..." The problem is I can't eat more I don't feel like, or it may be an unconscious fear of gain more weight. I don't know just still frustrated but I'll keep trying.

I hear ya.. How much weight do you have to lose?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options

Oh boy. And this is why we recommend seeing dietitians, who have much more training, over nutritionists.

Undereating does not cause you to not lose weight.

While one's metabolism is slowed after dieting, that doesn't put one into "starvation mode" or other unable to lose weight mode.

I usually trot out the Minnesota Starvation Experiment at this point but have something more current.

Because there are food shortages in Venezuela, people are eating less, and losing weight. I heard a story on NPR about a Venezuelan reporter who returned home after working in the EU for some time and was shocked to see the weight his parents had lost...unintentionally...due to undereating during the food shortage.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

You mean this person with a masters in journalism?

http://www.kaleishafetters.com/about/
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

This sounds right. When you're excessively stressed by trying too hard to loose, cortisol goes up and causes squishy fat inflammation. The fat cells fill with water to defend themselves against themselves. This ramps up their metabolic rate making them more actively able to scavenge available nutrients.
    You could also try a lot of vitamin c or turmeric to see if you can reduce the inflammation.

The what now?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

It is extremely common to gain weight from marathon training due to, "runger." You feel like since you just ran 17 miles you can eat what ever you want and you won't gain anything. Unfortunately, that's not the case and you should still log everything you consume.
  • Annananew
    Annananew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau a few weeks ago and even gained some weight back. I logged all my food accurately and exercised 3 times a week.
    As I saw my doctor, he realised I was only eating about 800 to 1000 calories a day when I needed 2400 call to maintain my weight according to his calculations. He told me that my body was on starvation mode and that I needed to fuel it properly by increasing my caloric intake to at least 1200. After the first week, I didn't lose or gain any weight but it's been two weeks now and I've lost 3 pounds.
    Hope it helps...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth. If you were undereating you'd lose weight
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Annananew wrote: »
    I hit a plateau a few weeks ago and even gained some weight back. I logged all my food accurately and exercised 3 times a week.
    As I saw my doctor, he realised I was only eating about 800 to 1000 calories a day when I needed 2400 call to maintain my weight according to his calculations. He told me that my body was on starvation mode and that I needed to fuel it properly by increasing my caloric intake to at least 1200. After the first week, I didn't lose or gain any weight but it's been two weeks now and I've lost 3 pounds.
    Hope it helps...

Wow, this is news to me. Thank you for sharing!
    <runs off to buy a box of chocolate eclairs to fend off starvation mode>
  • mengqiz86
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Hope it helps...

To this author, and a few others above -- there is no need to be sarcastic. Annananew was just describing her personal experience - and I have heard similar stories so she's not an isolated case. I am not denying that calorie reduction is the most logical way to lose weight, but I think we should not be blind to other confounding factors that new research has uncovered such as hormones, intestinal microbial flora, etc. And as this article ("Why you can't lose weight on a diet; New York Times) points out, these factors are not just fluff.

Let's learn from each others' experiences with an open mind.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Hope it helps...

To this author, and a few others above -- there is no need to be sarcastic. Annananew was just describing her personal experience - and I have heard similar stories so she's not an isolated case. I am not denying that calorie reduction is the most logical way to lose weight, but I think we should not be blind to other confounding factors that new research has uncovered such as hormones, intestinal microbial flora, etc. And as this article ("Why you can't lose weight on a diet; New York Times) points out, these factors are not just fluff.

Let's learn from each others' experiences with an open mind.

Not sure why you thought I was not sincere. It is great news if true because I can eat more and loose weight. I can even have a treat that I like. Of course I am excited. Why is that sarcasm?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Hope it helps...

Your username suggests you aren't running anywhere. :tongue: