What's your workout routine?

Options
I am curious to see what others are doing in their workouts. It's nice to see what else is out there when my routine is getting stale and I want to mix things up a bit. Here is mine:

Cardio 5-6 days a week-including 3 mile runs every other day, elliptical and treadmill at the gym
Strength Training- 3-4 days a week. Just started a new program with a 4 day a week plan. Day 1-chest and triceps, Day 2- legs and abs, Day 3-shoulders and abs, Day 4-back and biceps.
Rest days-I try to get at least 1 rest day a week. I tend to be crabby on these days. But I know I need them.
Weekends-trying to do something active-swimming, going to the lake, etc.

Also, what is your most challenging exercise? Mine is box jumps! OMG, I don't know what it is, but they kick my *kitten*!
Please, share yours! Thanks! :wink:

Replies

• katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Tai Chi in the morning.
    After work: 30 min. weight training, 45 min. elliptical, 15 min treadmill
    Weekends add 30 in pool to cool down
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You have a very varied exercise regime - sounds fun :smile:

Mine normally involves jogging 2.3miles every day with one rest day, which I walk the same route.
    I also like to try and fit in each day a 30min Aerobic workout to a dvd, weights, and stomach crunches of varying sorts.
    My most challenging exercise is probably push ups, I don't think I will ever be able to master more than 4 :smile: I also find jump rope / skipping exhausting in a very short space of time
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I try to do a 6 mile jog 6 days a week in the mornings and then Zumba Exhilarate 5 days a week in the afternoon....This is just for the summer though, taking a break from my P90X weight training, will go back to that in the fall with my jogging.

My most challenging workout is situps, I just cant stand them.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I use my elliptical machine 4-5 times a week, Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred 3-4 times a week, Zumba 1-2 times a week (Class), Wii Zumba or Zumba dvd 1-2 times a week, and everyday I throw in any calisthenics as I can (sit ups, push ups, step ups, jumping jacks, squats, lunges,......) My "day off" is usually the Wii games with the family.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i walk (speed)40 mins every morning then p.m i do a workout dvd or the wii ea active if i am feeling super energetic i will do my crosstrainer too! :)
    walking 7 days a week and 5/6 days for the rest!
  • johncowart
    johncowart Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    P90x mainly and weight lifting. For cardio I mix in P90x, Insanity, Turbo Fire, and Rev Abs.
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 6 days a week on my treadmill. Rest day is always Sunday...unless I have hurt myself...lol! Even then I tend to do something easy like walking. I'm on week 4 of C25K...I do that 3 times a week (M-W-F) and the other 3 days I have recently decided I will do week 1. 3 days (M-W-F) I also do abs & arms...running takes care of my legs muscles...lol! Running seems to be the only thing I've tried that holds my interest. Maybe because I don't have to spend any money on it, change it up at will, and really push myself...I don't know what it is, but the feeling I get when I'm done is like nothing I've ever felt with any other workout. :)
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    This is the way it's supposed to be. But it often changes up some.
    Monday - Weights (chest and back [pulling things straight back] using barbell mostly)
    Tuesday - Cardio (running/walking and/or workout video)
    Wednesday - Weights (arms, shoulders, and back[pulling things down])
    Thursday - Cardio again
    Friday - Weights (chest, arms, shoulders and back (I usually use the bar more on Tuesday and Wednesday. Then use the dumbbells on Fridays)
    Saturday - Cardio again.

My most challenging exercise is pull ups.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Mon/Wed/Fri - 30 minutes cardio/30+ minutes strength training

Tues/Thurs - 60+ minutes cardio

Mon/Tues/Thurs/Sat - 1+ hour of Krav Maga

All 7 days - Walk at lunch for 45-60 minutes

When possible walk after dinner 60-90 minutes (2 to 3 times per week)

Sunday I take off except for the walking.

Starting Next Saturday will begin rucksack training again- 20 pound ruck, tactical vest with 12 fully loaded AR15 magazines and 2 fully loaded pistol mags, 1.5 gallons of water, will be carrying a Blue training gun of an M4 carbine in my hands and a Blue training gun of my pistol on my hip. Goal is to work up to doing 12 miles in <3 hours with this gear on.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    My current routine is:

- Walk/jog in the AM (about 25-35 mins)
    - Then one or more of the following in the evening: walk/jog, 30 Day Shred video, weights, rock climbing, swimming, yoga, tennis, etc.

I like to change it up everyday and not do the same thing.
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am doing bootcamp (60 mins) 3 x a week and C25k with a 30 min walk/run added 3 times a week (for a total of 60 cardio minutes per session). I try to get in an extra couple of walk/runs. I am targeting 270-300 mins of cardio a week plus the bootcamp.
    /
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Monday - Hot yoga
    Tuesday - Running on a treadmill 35 mins doing intervals followed by 1 hr strength training
    Wednesday - Running on a treadmill 35 mins doing intervals
    Thursday - 1 hr strength training
    Friday - Hot yoga (if i can squeeze it in there)

I need to add more running in there if I wanna lose the fat in my hips / thighs, but I get bored :-/
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    MON - Cardio - Treadmill - 0.5 mile speed walk, 1 mile jog, 20 speed intervals of 2min speed walk and 1 min run, 20 min hill walk, 0.5 mile speed walk and 1 mile jog
    TUES - Strength training at the gym using resistance weights
    WEDS - 90 mins karate training
    THURS - Strength training again
    FRIDAY - 120 mins karate training
    SATURDAY - Cardio
    SUNDAY - rest day but try to take a walk around the lake or do something active for at least a couple of hours

Oh I also walk to work and back daily which is a 3 mile round trip.

My most challenging exercising is the strength training, I absolutely HATE doing weights at the gym!!!
  • shelld70
    shelld70 Posts: 106
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. Some things I have never heard of and some I am going to try. MFPeeps are awesome! :tongue:
  • Tayla08
    Tayla08 Posts: 94
    Options
    Currently I do the 30 day shred every morning 7 days a week, and every other night I do the Couch to 5k. I don't have a lot of extra time with two kids under 3, so I fit it in where I can.... In the fall I do fitness classes at the gym, but since it's nice out, I like to be outside if I can. :smile:
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts5x5 three days a week with the other 3 being a 60 minute walk on the treadmill.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Per my trainer's instructions:

When my ankle is NOT sprained:
    45 minutes of elliptical
    3 sets of 12 push ups
    3 sets of 12 lunges
    3 sets of 12 squats
    50 crunches with bicycle kick
    50 crunches
    Plank as long as I can hold it

Right now WITH my sprained ankle
    45 minutes- 1 hour of Sendentary Recumbant Cycling
    3 sets of 12 pull-ups with assistance (as many at 185 as possible but usually 1/2 way through I have to switch to 200)
    3 sets of 12 lateral pull-down (weight it at 40)
    3 sets of 12 push-ups (knees)
    Plank on Knees as long as I can hold it
    50 crunches with bicycle kick
    50 crunches

ALL OF THIS 5 DAYS PER WEEK, she looked at me and said you are so young if you were 80 you could come 3 times a week, you can come 5 days (she is super Russian making this funnier)
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Mine is pretty basic.
    Monday's: Stop the Russian invasion attempt. gives me a good 8-12 hours of cardio.
    Tuesday: fly to Vietnam to liberate POW's. another great day of cardio, plus resistance work in bending the cell bars. great upper body work!
    Wednesday: fighting crime-lords and dishonest cops from taking over my city.
    Thursday: i usually get a mani/pedi and a cucumber facial on Thursdays.
    Friday: quick 600 minute home workout on the TotalGym, followed by a game of horseshoes with the kids. (Note I bend the steel by hand to make the horseshoes). I try to make it fair for the kids by throwing my horseshoes while they are still attached to the horse.
    Saturday: Stopping a gang of horse thieves, followed by a cold beer and a bowl of hot Tiger Chili at my friend C.D. Parkers place.
    Sunday: even god rested on sunday, so do I.. after a quick set of 2,000 push-ups.
    that's about it really. Oh wait, that's chuck norris's workout.

I do Monday, Wednesday and thursday workouts with a strength and conditioning coach. we do a hard 90 minutes of plyometrics, agility work, then mostly olympic lifts, followed by HIT training. leaves me worn out but feeling like I accomplished something. I supplement that with a more traditional push/pull routine on Saturdays with a friend of mine at a traditional gym in a box.
    I have started adding in extra interval training on Tuesdays and Fridays.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This is a sample of my weekly workout. It's getting harder as I ramp up my running mileage for a target race this fall.

Mondays: Xtrain (bike or swim 45 minutes at low-moderate intensity), free weights, plyometrics
    Tuesdays: Running -- hill training, 6-9 miles
    Wednesdays: Easy 4-5 mile run or Xtrain 45 minutes and free weights, plyometrics
    Thursdays: Running -- tempo run 5-9 miles
    Fridays: Rest
    Saturdays: Long run: 12-16 miles
    Sundays: Running -- easy 6-7 miles
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You also asked about most challenging exercise. That varies:

* burpees
    * speedwork/hill sprints
    * 3-minute planks