Gymphobia.... Tips to not look like a newbie?

Options
2»

Replies

• meghanlila
    meghanlila Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I work at a YMCA and I definitely think that joining a new gym can be scary but I've found that it helps to go in with a clear plan and then smile and maybe chat with people doing similar stuff to you. I was really nervous about using weights and integrating myself with the "lifters" so I found a more comfortable space where I could use kettlebells and do body weight moves untill I worked up the confidence to hit the free weights and barbells. It also always helps to bring a friend! Ask if your gym has day passes or trials so you can bring someone to get started.
  • Timothyh27
    Timothyh27 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Pretend you work there, steal a gym top, you'll make new friends and not look like a newbie. lol.
  • Lucy221
    Lucy221 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support guys. Hit my new gym for the first time this morning, bright and early at 7.15.... Think I need a map to find my way round, it's huuuge with stairs to other areas all over the place. Back tomorrow morning to explore the place further.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Like other have said, get an intro from a staff member. Most gyms are happy to provide this for free. OR... just walk in there like you own the place and if you need help, ask people who look like they know what they are doing :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Lucy221 wrote: »
    Vicxie86 wrote: »

I started strength training 2wks ago with no induction offered at the gym i sign up to and i have to say that i stare at almost everyone so i can get an idea of how to use the equipment :/ For now, i mostly work on my arms & legs which are my problem areas.

Do people mind if you watch what they are doing? I guess it's a good way to learn though

If it's obvious you're watching them? Probably, although not necessarily.

Even so, a lot of people at the gym don't do things correctly. I wouldn't trust that whomever you'd be watching is necessarily doing things right. Even if (s)he looks fit and everything - (s)he could be doing a modified version of something, which might not fit your goals.

In short, yeah - like others have said - see if you can get a trainer for at least a couple of sessions to help.
  • gjw1911
    gjw1911 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Search online for a clear plan. I never go into the gym without a plan and a goal for that day.
    And don't worry about looking new, no one cares in the gym.
    Just because someone has a good physique doesn't mean they are doing exercises correctly.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    sucampbeN wrote: »
    huango wrote: »
    spin classes:
    - not sure how yours is, but at my gym, people have specific preferences on which is their bike.
    - for my 1st spin class, I thought to go in early to stake a bike near the back left (close to the door, and not too close to the front row), but that was one of the regular's established bike.
    - So I basically had to wait until all the regulars got their bikes, and I was left with one in the front row on the right.

Being 4'11" w/ a too short inseam, I haven't done Spin again.

Did someone actually say it was "their" bike? That's ridiculous!

Someone can have a preference all they like, but if I get there first and choose 'their' bike, tough *kitten*. It's a GYM not a private residence.