Protein powder and coffee

Options
cecsav1
cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
I used to mix my protein powder in coffee and loved it. Idk what happened, but recently, my brand won't mix in a hot beverage. Any good suggestions of protein powder that will dissolve completely in hot coffee?

Replies

• angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It is actually recommended NOT to mix protein powder with hot things like coffee or oatmeal. Supposedly it breaks down the protein so you don't get the full potency of the supplement.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i was going ask about this yesterday actually, i need to up my protein and wanted something to mix in with protein powder that wasn't too calorie dense, coffee seemed like a good idea.
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I use Genepro which can be used in hot products it just can't be microwaved. I mix a scoop in my coffee every morning.
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    mom2colbyj wrote: »
    I use Genepro which can be used in hot products it just can't be microwaved. I mix a scoop in my coffee every morning.

i use plant fusion, i checked their website and googled and couldn't find any info so i sent them an email.

thanks!
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    i also love to put vanilla protein powder in my coffee, but I use it for my iced coffee so it can be my sweetener. I love my hot coffee plain black :) I've found some brands mix better than others. Have you recently changed your brand? Is it an old container or has been in a moist environment and starting to clump?
  • kuhlbeauty
    kuhlbeauty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the Nutrilite Protein Powder Vanilla Dream, mix it with strong cold coffee, add ice. Great summer drink.
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    mom2colbyj wrote: »

i use plant fusion, i checked their website and googled and couldn't find any info so i sent them an email.

thanks!

You're welcome. I order my from Amazon.
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    this is what i got back :)

Hello Jessica,
    The nutritional profile should not be affected by the temperature. You will find that there’s numerous recipes that call for protein powder to be used in baking and hot liquids.
    You can see some of these recipes on our Pinterest page:
    https://www.pinterest.com/plantfusion
    The one thing that could be affected is the activity of the enzyme blend. (could possibly decrease at temps around 120 +)
    The enzyme blend is added at a small amount to help with breaking down protein and possible traces of starches.
    Hope this helps,
    If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me,
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm having a cup right now :smiley: I use casein, it mixes a lot better than whey.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I personally make iced coffee with vanilla protein powder. It's awesome.

Try mixing your protein powder into a thin paste with a small splash of cold milk then add to the coffee.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I personally make iced coffee with vanilla protein powder. It's awesome.

Try mixing your protein powder into a thin paste with a small splash of cold milk then add to the coffee.

This is exactly how i do it.

• cecsav1
    Options
    I like iced coffee, but mornings require hot coffee :P and I don't drink milk. I wonder if I could use water instead and just make my coffee extra strong to make up for it.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    I like iced coffee, but mornings require hot coffee :P and I don't drink milk. I wonder if I could use water instead and just make my coffee extra strong to make up for it.

Yeah you could use plain water. We have perculated coffee, so I've also poured just enough in to make a paste and then filled it up with the rest of the coffee.

• cecsav1
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and all the ideas, guys!!
  • omeyer33
    omeyer33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was debating doing this, how does it taste? I usually just put a little bit of flavored creamer in my coffee.
  • cecsav1
    Options
    It's a little sweet for me, but not so bad that I can't drink it. I can't stand the flavored creamers though, so it may be the right amount of sweet for you. Generally, I stick with 1 tsp powdered creamer and either 1 tsp sugar free Torani syrup or 1 packet of stevia. I recently bought a bottle of Walden Farms caramel syrup, and 1 serving (1 T) is way way too sweet for me
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Plain unsweetened whey powder, one scoop, into a latte shaken in one of those blender cups makes a really nice latte foam, oddly enough. It doesn't really mess up the taste since whey is just a part of milk anyway.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Oh THANK YOU I never thought of doing this. I'm so happy now!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Okay with Iced coffee though.
    Make a quart or so at a time and leave in your fridge.
    I cheat a little though. I add Mocha Amino Energy to my pre swim shake. 1 serving (2 small scoops) has 100mg of caffeine from Colombian coffee beans.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    It is actually recommended NOT to mix protein powder with hot things like coffee or oatmeal. Supposedly it breaks down the protein so you don't get the full potency of the supplement.

I'm sorry but this is incorrect. It's fine to heat, microwave, bake....etc protein powder