Why does strength training not generate a calorie burn amount?

Options
2»

Replies

• LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    LPflaum wrote: »
    Its an anerobic exercise, so it doesn't burn very many calories. The exception being exercises that engage the large muscle groups (Glutes, quads, hams)... power squatting will burn calories.

I prefer a HR monitor when doing strength training. It keeps me from over estimating.

As for the "extra calories", try to get them in protein and you'll bulk. I'm eating at a deficit and still gaining muscle bc i'm eating about 40% of my calories in protein.

HRM are for steady state of cardiovascular and even then they are not perfect on estimates.

You didn't gain muscle while eating in a deficit. You gain muscle in a surplus.

It actually works quite well if I'm intervalling. 15 minutes High intensity tread followed by 15 minutes of weights, back and forth. Your heart rate doesn't just tank after a run, it slowly works itself back down. Usually I find i'm lifting through the low end of the cardio zone and into the "Fat burn zone" if my HR drops too low, I stop what i'm doing and power squat it back up. I have no idea why you would think that a HRM doesn't work. As long as its strapped to your body, its measuring your HR and, therefore, your caloric burn. That info feeds directly into MFP.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Its an anerobic exercise, so it doesn't burn very many calories. The exception being exercises that engage the large muscle groups (Glutes, quads, hams)... power squatting will burn calories.

I prefer a HR monitor when doing strength training. It keeps me from over estimating.

As for the "extra calories", try to get them in protein and you'll bulk. I'm eating at a deficit and still gaining muscle bc i'm eating about 40% of my calories in protein.

how are you measuring these muscle gains? In all honesty, when truly bulking carbs become more important then protein intake...

more then likely you are not building muscle while in a deficit, unless you are an untrained beginner, or elite athlete...

I measure the circumference of my biceps and my total body fat percentage. Weight down, Body fat down, circumference up. I'm also able to curl twice the weight on twice the reps as I was when I started. If this isn't a gain, please tell me what you think it is?

strength gains do not equal muscle gains. You can increase the amount of your lifts without building any new mass, as you are just training your muscles to be more efficient with the same amount of mass. The term, I believe, is neuromuscular adaptation.

I am not saying that you may not have put on some muscle, but more than likely it is a small amount and/or you have lost body fat which is allowing your existing muscle to show better.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options

how are you measuring these muscle gains? In all honesty, when truly bulking carbs become more important then protein intake...

more then likely you are not building muscle while in a deficit, unless you are an untrained beginner, or elite athlete...

I measure the circumference of my biceps and my total body fat percentage. Weight down, Body fat down, circumference up. I'm also able to curl twice the weight on twice the reps as I was when I started. If this isn't a gain, please tell me what you think it is?

strength gains do not equal muscle gains. You can increase the amount of your lifts without building any new mass, as you are just training your muscles to be more efficient with the same amount of mass. The term, I believe, is neuromuscular adaptation.

I am not saying that you may not have put on some muscle, but more than likely it is a small amount and/or you have lost body fat which is allowing your existing muscle to show better.

Well, if we're being realistic, circumference wouldn't have gone up if I had lost fat, it would go down. But I think you and I are talking about very different things. I'm a 30 year old woman, I never lift a dumbell heavier than 20 or a bar over about 80, and I tempo train on high reps. I'm not trying to get big for the purpose of getting big.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

HRM are for steady state of cardiovascular and even then they are not perfect on estimates.

Sorry, but it has been proven you can gain muscle is an overall caloric deficit. It's not as efficient as when in a surplus and has diminishing returns the longer you have been training until it is more worth your while to bulk/cut to gain muscle and recomp.
    For untrained individuals with high levels of body fat, you can actually see good gains in muscle while in a deficit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFo_wQq8M3Q
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160127132741.htm

my only complaint with that study is that htey appear to have set up conditions which would be almost impossible to replicate in the real world....exact training, exact macro balance , exact food timing...etc...at least that is my initial impression have skimmed the study.

I would say that is the actual benefit of that study. Lab controlled results. No self reporting as many of these types of studies are.

just does not sound applicable to the real world...

so yes, maybe you can gain some mass in a deficit if you have perfect training, perfect marcos, and perfect intake, but who really has time for that...?

I would be curious what would happen if they did a 12 week study of this? My thoughts are that the dropout rate would be high, and the results would be minimal....

Hey, there are literally tons of gym bros that lift poorly for years and don't see much growth either. Going from one magazine routine to another listening to all the gymbro "science" and old saws. I've been in and out of the gym for 20 years and seen it all.

Doesn't invalidate the study or the science behind it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

It actually works quite well if I'm intervalling. 15 minutes High intensity tread followed by 15 minutes of weights, back and forth. Your heart rate doesn't just tank after a run, it slowly works itself back down. Usually I find i'm lifting through the low end of the cardio zone and into the "Fat burn zone" if my HR drops too low, I stop what i'm doing and power squat it back up. I have no idea why you would think that a HRM doesn't work. As long as its strapped to your body, its measuring your HR and, therefore, your caloric burn. That info feeds directly into MFP.
    I didn't say it didn't work. I stated HRMs are designed for steady state of cardiovascular for best accuracy. The rate is designed for those activities.

The instructions state this in most top brands.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

If your taking creatine or most protein powders it can add size to your arms just by water retention.

You can gain strength without necessarily gaining muscle. Better form and a progressive lifting routine can do this.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I burn 100 calories laying on the couch just breathing every hour of my life so I count my weight training as 200-300 calories per hour and it works with my life style and diet.

I have lost muscle and gained strength many times to think a larger muscle is stronger is just not correct