Did you just say that?

Options
There's been more than a few posts about stupid things people say to someone on a weight loss plan, but for some reason I never thought it would happen to me. That was dumb...

My boss started a diet plan a few months ago, has 100 pounds to lose, he is down 20. We were talking about what we are doing, and what we have tried that worked and didn't work, for a few minutes is morning, before he ran off to a meeting. We talk about once a week on this subject.

After he left a woman that sits a few desks away came over and said to me, "I don't understand why you guys are trying to lose weight. You're both old, you're both married, it's not like anyone is going to care."

I am looking at her and looking, trying to see if she was just being a smart *kitten*, or joking, but she was dead serious. I looked at her hands and replied, "is that your second breakfast burrito?" She stood there for a second, then turned red and left. And I am sitting here laughing because I don't know what else to do! How do you respond to that? I barely even know her.

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I think your response was spot-on and perfect!
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    cmtristani wrote: »
    There's been more than a few posts about stupid things people say to someone on a weight loss plan, but for some reason I never thought it would happen to me. That was dumb...

My boss started a diet plan a few months ago, has 100 pounds to lose, he is down 20. We were talking about what we are doing, and what we have tried that worked and didn't work, for a few minutes is morning, before he ran off to a meeting. We talk about once a week on this subject.

After he left a woman that sits a few desks away came over and said to me, "I don't understand why you guys are trying to lose weight. You're both old, you're both married, it's not like anyone is going to care."

I am looking at her and looking, trying to see if she was just being a smart *kitten*, or joking, but she was dead serious. I looked at her hands and replied, "is that your second breakfast burrito?" She stood there for a second, then turned red and left. And I am sitting here laughing because I don't know what else to do! How do you respond to that? I barely even know her.

CLASS. wish i had been there to see that.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I agree with @ccrdragon. Doesn't get better than what you said. No need to elaborate or argue.
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think for someone who was caught off guard, your response was appropriate & funny.

Hindsight though; maybe she needs to hear why losing weight is better than staying "fat when you are old" she may genuinely be fighting a battle of her own and pointing out what she is eating is detrimental to her - would it upset you if she went home and cried into a bucket of ice cream because of your response?

It is difficult to interact with people when you are unsure what their intentions are & I assure you that she didn't approach you appropriately but maybe you should come up with a standard response that will help you 'communicate your reasoning' or how to kindly tell them to 'mind their own business'
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    B4Rachael wrote: »
    I think for someone who was caught off guard, your response was appropriate & funny.

Hindsight though; maybe she needs to hear why losing weight is better than staying "fat when you are old" she may genuinely be fighting a battle of her own and pointing out what she is eating is detrimental to her - would it upset you if she went home and cried into a bucket of ice cream because of your response?

It is difficult to interact with people when you are unsure what their intentions are & I assure you that she didn't approach you appropriately but maybe you should come up with a standard response that will help you 'communicate your reasoning' or how to kindly tell them to 'mind their own business'

And what if OP had gone home and cried because of her comment?

It obviously upset OP enough to comment on here so I didn't think I needed to go there & what I said in my response wasn't anything negative to OP. I did give a suggestion to come up with a easy response to tell the next person that asks to "mind their own business." I also believe we all have issues we are fighting with which is why I suggested coming up with a reasonable response for those who genuinely want to know. I did also say that the woman's approach toward OP wasn't appropriate.
  • chrissygbulldog3
    chrissygbulldog3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Perfect response. Loved it. Just right amount of truth, snark, and insight. You must be from the east coast. I would watch my back though. She is probably waiting for you to fall off the wagon.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    That sounds passive aggressive to me. The lady could have said it a lot better, but she wanted to know why you're dieting when by society's standards you don't have to. You could have told her "for health reasons" and that you already feel better because of it, instead of making her feel bad about herself.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I have used the, "stop hating on my fitness and finish your cake" attitude and language a few times.

The one that drives me NUTS at work is the , "Must be nice/wish I had time" excuse people always throw out. There is a stigma that because I make fitness a priority that (apparently) means I have an easy life/job. I just smile and mention various comments about it being okay and that a lot of people are not able to balance their lives.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP, your response made me laugh. I wouldn't have known what to say to that and probably would have laughed at the uncomfortable moment. But I think your response was fine.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You don't have to explain a damn thing to anyone. I have never explained my reasons, outside of "because I can."

Your response, to me, was spot on. Though I usually just ignore the crap altogether and carry on.
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments! It had no impact on my mood at all - I have my reasons for what I am doing and that's good enough for me. So far it's been another great day. I think I look pretty good regardless of how old I am. I have things I will continue to improve on, both in my overall health and the way I look. And if her feelings are hurt, well, we are each responsible for our own happiness. How she chooses to feel is up to her.
  • emily_fox
    emily_fox Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I dunno...I don't think rude people deserve to be "understood"
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

My go-to line for that is, "Go F*** Yourself."