I blew it

Options

Replies

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Gosh 400 is small. I am in maintenance and sometimes go over by 1300 calories. I just log it, and follow up with a some good days. For 400, I wouldn't do anything, except log it and move on.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Juicysmo wrote: »
    subakwa wrote: »
    OP - what's your daily deficit planned to be? You have some options, depending on how large a deficit you run, and what suits your mindset the best.

- make today a maintenance day if you run a large enough deficit. So, if you run a daily deficit of 800 cals, you still have 400 left for dinner without going into excess
    - Eat whatever you would normally but "buy back" those calories over the rest of the week
    - Log it and move on. It's only one day.

What do you mean by "deficit"?

The amount between your goal calories and your maintenance calories. To lose 2 lbs per week, you are in a 1000 cal deficit per day. To lose 1 lb per week you are in a 500 calorie deficit per day. How many lbs per week are you set to lose?

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm usually like "oops ._.", then log it and start good again the next day ;)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    You can go to the gym or eat light if you want. It certainly won't hurt.

You can write off the day, be moderate for the rest of the evening (as if nothing happened), and get back on the horse tomorrow.

Don't punish yourself by starving for a week or pushing too hard.

Don't go extreme the opposite way and say "well, today is F'd, so I'm going to cram whatever I want down my gullet all evening and start over tomorrow."

It happens. Just move on.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it...its one day...log it and move on

This.

As the saying goes, if you got a puncture on your car would you slash the other 3 tyres as well?
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm going to end up "over" budget today too. Just say "poop on it" and move on. Make super smart choices for the rest of the day - but don't deprive. People are definitely imperfect beings - so it's unlikely that we're never going to fall off the wagon. Best thing we can do is just say - hey, it happened, restart as soon as possible, and that way we don't compound the damage that's already done.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I suppose there exist people who are capable of sticking to their goal every single day for a year but I do not believe they are many!
    So you should expect what happened to you to happen every now and then. Just ignore it and move on. As long as it doesn't happen too often you are good :) Don't try to be perfect as you might fail.

Edit: But totally: LOG IT! Whatever the quantity.
  • iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    One day doesn't blow it girl!!! Keep on the normal eating plan. Normal exercise. Promise.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    subakwa wrote: »
    OP - what's your daily deficit planned to be? You have some options, depending on how large a deficit you run, and what suits your mindset the best.

- make today a maintenance day if you run a large enough deficit. So, if you run a daily deficit of 800 cals, you still have 400 left for dinner without going into excess
    - Eat whatever you would normally but "buy back" those calories over the rest of the week
    - Log it and move on. It's only one day.

What do you mean by "deficit"?

The amount between your goal calories and your maintenance calories. To lose 2 lbs per week, you are in a 1000 cal deficit per day. To lose 1 lb per week you are in a 500 calorie deficit per day. How many lbs per week are you set to lose?

This. When I "blow it" I just pick up and move on. There is nothing more to do but make better choices for my very next meal. If I can make up the deficit, I do, but if I can't, I still just make sensible choices and pick myself right back up.

This is something I've done and will continue to do for my entire life. There will be days when I'm over and days that I'm over. That's life!
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I agree that there is the temptation to blow the whole day off after having gone over by lunchtime. But yeah ... don't. Just have what you would usually have for dinner, or may be a little lighter than usual. Then start afresh tomorrow. Don't make it worse by having a "blah might as well write off the whole day" dinner ^^
  • thelastmelon97
    thelastmelon97 Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    One cheat day isn't going to hurt you, just keep pushing on! :) Just don't be alarmed if you see a little weight gain, because sometimes after you go over your calories water weight will show for a day or two.
    I had a beach day this summer where I ended up having Subway (and yes, potato chips included) for lunch, along with clam cakes and buffalo wings for dinner - it was terrible! But the day after I just made sure I was back on track with my calories, and after three days the "weight" went away.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Don't punish yourself. If you blew it accidentally, use that as an opportunity to learn how not to blow it that way. Stay on the program and lose weight in good health.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This is side effects of this app that's sort of like the elephant in the room. OP has over eaten at lunch and she's gone over her allocated calories for the day. My question would be are you still hungry? Who said you need to eat dinner if you're stuffed from Lunch? Lol. For future reference don't stress too much about eating too much on a single day. It's one day. It's not gonna be detrimental in the grand scheme of things. Also exercise isn't something you do as punishment for overeating. I don't feel that's the correct attitude towards exercising. I know you wanna do it to burn the extra cals but now you're associating overeating and working out together. You're being hard on yourself. Trying to eat perfectly is a concept no one can sustain.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've done it countless times... I still lost 76 pounds, and been maintaining (more or less 4 pounds) for 2 years. The key is not to give up and just get back on track!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do when you've totally blown your goals for the day? I'm thinking I need to eat a super light dinner, and maybe exercise, but otherwise what do you do when this happens? I'm 400 calories over already after a lunch meeting :(

I just move on...tomorrow is another day. Thinking you're going to be on every single day is not really very realistic...*kitten* happens...and one day here and there is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Think my maintenance cals are something like 2000.
    Went to Nandos tonight followed by Ben and Jerrys shake at the movies. 2600 cals for today, but tonight was great :)
    Back on it again tomorrow
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I went over my deficit by 1000 calories this weekend due to my daughters birthday parties. I was a few pounds heavier due to water weight on Monday. I just continued on with my deficit and logging everything. By yesterday the 3 pounds was gone and I lost an additional 1.8 lbs
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    To offer a slightly different opinion to most others, I would have a salad/veg for dinner and try to increase activity to compensate.