Obese SOS

Options
2»

Replies

• ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I can easily burn a lot of calories just biking. Last year I was biking an hour and a half pretty well most days. I also walked for at least 45 minutes a day. This is of course getting your heart rate up. Run up and down stairs. Go on you tube, lots of exercise videos you can work out to...good luck and you can do it.
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to create a deficit and lose weight. You lose weight by eating less than you burn. I weigh around 160 pounds and I am steadily losing weight by counting calories (1500 kcal a day) and walking. Exercise is good for health but not absolutely necessary to lose weight. No need to try and change your entire lifestyle in one go. The most important thing is how much you eat (not even what you eat). Good luck!
  • akutozo
    akutozo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it. With no exercise at all I dropped over 20lbs just changing my diet. The funny thing is I didn't even eat less... I just ate better.

Chicken, Pork Tenderloin, Turkey, Salmon are delicious and take to seasoning so well you might not even realize you're eating at all the time. You can eat a pound of lean cuts for under ~500 calories. A POUND of food. Meanwhile, 4oz of chips can be about the same amount of calories.

With the weight loss, it helped me get the weight off my knees and got me back in the gym to continue losing weight. The truth is, weight loss can seem intimidating because highly motivated people who are in love with fitness do so much that your body simply can't do. But they do that because they love to and they want to.

You want to lose weight. Maybe later you want to become stronger. It doesn't matter. What matters is your drive and I think you definitely have the drive to get there. It may be scary and discouraging to look at the scale. So don't. The scale is not your friend. Your pants are. Your shirts are. Your belt is. Those will tell you if you've lose weight better than any scale. Scales can't account for water weight, undigested food, bloating, etc. Your clothes will never lie to you.

Good luck, and if you want to add me as a friend for the occasional encouragement feel free.
  • persephpom
    persephpom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do this!! I'm also doing it with very little exercise right now since I'm so heavy it's hard on my knees. My plan is to lose about 60 lbs strictly through calorie restriction, then start exercising to build strength and endurance. I'm eating between 1200 and 1400 calories per day and have been losing a pound about every two days.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    fatkhanass wrote: »
    I have no access to any gym @DavidMoore2696

The great thing is, you don't need a gym to lose weight. Walking is a great way to exercise. If you don't have a pedometer to track how much you walk, get one. You can get a simple one, not a Fitbit, for very little money. Use it every day and try to keep improving how much you walk. Set a goal and keep trying to beat that. Many people try to reach 10000 steps per day but it doesn't have to be that high to start or that low later on.

In addition to checking the scale, be sure to grab a tape measure and keep track of the measurements of your hips, thighs, calves, upper arms, neck, etc. There's a place here in MFP to enter them. Since you're interested in people noticing you've lost weight that's going to be your best indicator of success.
  • nikkitimkitembo89
    nikkitimkitembo89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Check out Laura Lunden on YouTube for great at home workouts you can do on a time crunch with minimal to no equipment
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    d59zcoapoapf.jpg
  • tristramtrent
    tristramtrent Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like! I bet people could notice by October if you put in the effort and keep the faith...I lost 53 lb without going to the gym, just a cheap exercise bike in my shed, a real bike and some walking did me fine. Still losing... half way to my goal. I was a tiny bit heavier than you when I started. It's been fun on the whole, the only irritating thing is when I have to eat on someone else's schedule or eat stuff I don't want to be polite to someone who has cooked for me. I like to be in charge of my own intake so the plastic lunchbox is my friend.
  • darciew2
    darciew2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You CAN!!!! My advice is to not put too much pressure on the when.... Just the do. I'm new too... Add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    plenty of work out videos on youtube
  • ejb499
    ejb499 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You absolutely don't need access to a gym. You don't even need to exercise to lose weight, though it can help. There are plenty of things you can do at home without going to the gym. Mainly, just get out and walk, you will feel great. You CAN do it!
  • tattoomary
    tattoomary Posts: 44 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi cut out as much carbs as you can, walk every day for an hour (if possible) and be sure to drink your 2ltrs of water a day and you will see a big difference in no time :)
  • suzmosb
    suzmosb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do it! Even if you don't reach some huge weight loss goal, anything will make a difference. I started at 245 and after only 5 pounds people were telling me how thin my face looked.

I second darcie: focus on the do, not the when! It took me 2 years to lose my first 60 but I was in the same spot as you- no gym, no support, just me.
    Don't expect a 180 change in your habits overnight, start small. My motto to get started was "better bad decisions"! Eat fast food a lot? Get a chicken sandwich instead of the bacon double cheeseburger. Slim back on the portion sizes, do you REALLY need a bucket of fries the size of your head? I cut back sodas to just with meals, then just one meal, and now I can barely stomach them.
    Add a few exercises that you can do at home. Squats, running in place, lunge from one side of the house/room to the other...

I didn't even start counting calories until I hit 220, and then it was just because I had plateaued and wanted to see what I was really eating. It's eye opening but can be super discouraging! That's why I didn't worry about the daily numbers until I had fixed my habits. Downloading an app that says 1200 calories a day and eating all of that at breakfast will quickly lead to "well why do I even bother??"

Message me if you need any support or ideas- I was almost exactly where you were when I started (245.5 @ 23) and while I've lost some battles recently (gained back 20 in the last year) I'm definitely winning the war (still thinner than I was in high school!)