For Those Who Weigh Themselves Daily

Options
2»

Replies

• DaisyM01
    DaisyM01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think so...this is my weight in my first 3 weeks. There's a stone (14 lbs) between the highest and lowest entries.
    5myg3s.jpg
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't gain or lose a couple of pounds from day to day - weight fluctuates by a couple of pounds from day to day. Major difference!
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bouncing around is totally normal for me, but this time I'm not letting it get me down.

I use happyscale and https://trendweight.com/ to keep an eye on what's actually happening
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    meg7117 wrote: »
    Alright friends of MFP, I've got a question. I'm on week two of my diet/lifestyle change and have chosen to weigh myself daily. Specifically every morning right after I wake up. It holds me accountable which is why I like it, but the daily fluctuations are a bit frustrating. I started out at about 153.8 lbs and at the end of the first week I was 151.8 (a whole two pounds!) But I haven't gotten below that at all this week (Though I am only on week two). And yesterday I weighed in at 153 again which was quite disheartening. I know for a fact that I'm eating less, but just want to know is that normal for you to gain up to two pounds while weighing yourself daily? I drink a lot of water too so I don't think that's the problem, but hey maybe this is just something that happens when you choose to weigh yourself daily. I'm not sure. I'd really love to see what some of you guys have to say about this so I don't feel as discouraged! Thanks guys!

I find the daily fluctuations fascinating. I can usually pinpoint why the fluctuations occur.

I go on a long bicycle ride ... my weight goes up.
    I eat salty food ... my weight goes up.

Three day after my long bicycle ride ... my weight goes down.
    I drink a couple cups of tea and use the toilet a lot one day ... my weight goes down.

Keep in mind that food and water has weight. If you've eaten and had something to drink not long before weighing yourself, you'll likely be heavier. If you drink a lot of water, that might be the problem sometimes.

Look for patterns.

• mackiscute2002
    mackiscute2002 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only record saturday mornings numbers. The only time i record during the week is if my number drops and stays dropped. I use the daily weighs only to remind me that what i do daily does have an impact....the extra desert one day because it was a bad day, the extra long walk or the missed walk.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Make sure you plot/track your weights to see the overall trend!

Don't weigh daily if you can't handle the mental anguish of stalls or increases.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the comments about using a trend graph. I use weight grapher which helps smooth out the bumps and keeps me sane when I seem to bounce around the same weight for a fortnight.

You are not alone in your annoyance at seeing the weight bounce up and down rather than gracefully decrease steadily :D
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Tuesday, gain 1 lb. Wednesday, lose 1.6 lb. Thursday, gain 1.4 lb. That's a bit more than is typical, but it's not atypical.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I use the graph under the 'reports' section of MFP. It is really eye opening to look at my sodium intake then my weight...most days I have a spike in weight it is a day or two after a spike in sodium, or a day or two after I work out really hard, so that tells me its water not tacos. I was at 153 a week ago, 157 two days ago, and now I'm at 150. Just keep measuring everything and being as accurate as you can, give it time, and try to focus on how cool your body is and all they ways it changes that you didn't notice until now. You'll lose little by little. Oh, and measuring your hips and waist might give some perspective too. Good luck!
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hi! Check out this article on "why the scale lies."

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm
  • kellyiris6
    kellyiris6 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Totally normal, take a look at how much mine fluctuates. I'd say mine bounces 1-3 lbs. it depends on water weight, what you ate (sodium, etc.), etc. I had one bad weekend where I ate terribly and gained like 4lbs but evidently it slowly came off.

3ol4enohgk3b.jpeg
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates quite a bit on a day to day basis hence the reason I weigh daily. I slept in yesterday and was a pound lighter than today. Maybe I lost more water while sleeping? Anyway if I get a weight 3 days in a row that's my new official weight
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    meg7117 wrote: »
    Alright friends of MFP, I've got a question. I'm on week two of my diet/lifestyle change and have chosen to weigh myself daily. Specifically every morning right after I wake up. It holds me accountable which is why I like it, but the daily fluctuations are a bit frustrating. I started out at about 153.8 lbs and at the end of the first week I was 151.8 (a whole two pounds!) But I haven't gotten below that at all this week (Though I am only on week two). And yesterday I weighed in at 153 again which was quite disheartening. I know for a fact that I'm eating less, but just want to know is that normal for you to gain up to two pounds while weighing yourself daily? I drink a lot of water too so I don't think that's the problem, but hey maybe this is just something that happens when you choose to weigh yourself daily. I'm not sure. I'd really love to see what some of you guys have to say about this so I don't feel as discouraged! Thanks guys!

I find the daily fluctuations fascinating. I can usually pinpoint why the fluctuations occur.

I go on a long bicycle ride ... my weight goes up.
    I eat salty food ... my weight goes up.

Three day after my long bicycle ride ... my weight goes down.
    I drink a couple cups of tea and use the toilet a lot one day ... my weight goes down.

Keep in mind that food and water has weight. If you've eaten and had something to drink not long before weighing yourself, you'll likely be heavier. If you drink a lot of water, that might be the problem sometimes.

Look for patterns.

I've noticed that with bicycling too. Do you have an explain or theory about that? Cycling is the only exercise I really like to do, but it's to the point that I sort of dread seeing the water weight gain and the days it takes to lose it. But that's just in my head...I still ride as much as I can.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    My weight fluctuates quite a bit on a day to day basis hence the reason I weigh daily. I slept in yesterday and was a pound lighter than today. Maybe I lost more water while sleeping? Anyway if I get a weight 3 days in a row that's my new official weight

I think we are a little lighter as the morning progresses because that gives our food from the previous day a little more time to digest. I usually log my weight on Sundays after 9 a.m. before I eat or drink anything. I notice if I weigh earlier, it's always a higher number. I think it's just that our food is still digesting. Just my opinion.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Body weight isn't static...the human body is made up of anywhere between 50% - 65% water and that's always going to be in flux. You also will always have variable degrees of waste in your system. Weight management is all about tracking trends over weeks and months.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Body weight isn't static...the human body is made up of anywhere between 50% - 65% water and that's always going to be in flux. You also will always have variable degrees of waste in your system. Weight management is all about tracking trends over weeks and months.

Very true.
  • nikkitimkitembo89
    nikkitimkitembo89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Not too be too graphic but this morning I woke up did my business and weighed myself right after in my birthday suit I weighed 213.8 I went to work had breakfast had lunch came home weighed myself and I was 215.8 so what I'm trying to say is weigh yourself in your birthday suit right after you just wake up without putting a drop of water or ounce of food in you and after you have done your business for more accurate readings and try to do it around the same time every day
  • mazarasltm
    mazarasltm Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Analytically Speaking for an individual measurement an average of 3 readings is good, but an average of 4 weight measurements ought to bring you to 90% confidence level (i think, its been > 15 years since I studied statistics).
    Not too be too graphic but this morning I woke up did my business and weighed myself right after in my birthday suit I weighed 213.8 I went to work had breakfast had lunch came home weighed myself and I was 215.8 so what I'm trying to say is weigh yourself in your birthday suit right after you just wake up without putting a drop of water or ounce of food in you and after you have done your business for more accurate readings and try to do it around the same time every day

nikkitimkitembo is exactly right. Its what I do. But be aware alot of fluid uptake & a sweaty workout can mess with this. Plus, if you dont BM regularly then daily measurements will be torture.

Your fluctuations are not isolated. See Below.

e7wstzrdecef.png

You should care for overall trend. I find my scale bouncing around 3 lb range. Therefore I dont get excited over 1 good or bad measurement