Starting to think eating my exercise ain't helping

Options
13»

Replies

• bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A few weeks back I got stuck at the same weight for about 4 weeks and went up one week. Got very annoyed and nearly gave up!

I was on 1200 cals and eating some of my exercise cals. After trawling the forums on here and a little help from my friends on here I decided to up my cals from 1200 to 1360 and I eat back most of my exercise cals but not often all. I'm now losing ave. 2lbs per week which i'm happy with. Slow & steady wins the race!!
  • hollagolla
    hollagolla Posts: 44
    Options
    I am never sure that the amount of calories logged for exercise is that accurate on here so I underestimate them and then I tend to leave about 5o calories spare.

But basically if you are consuming less calories than your body is using then you will lose weight. So if you eat back your calories but are still not going over them you are still having less than you need so you should still lose it.

I also struggle to lose weight but I'm sticking to it and have just lowered my calorie allowance slightly to compensate for inacurate calorie burned amounts from here and also to prevent the extra food I was having on more calories.

Its also hard to lose weight when there isn't much to lose and from the look of your pic you are already slim so I'd imagine you will find it hard to lose the stubborn last few pounds you want to shift.

Good luck
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think your calories are set too high and your sugars are pretty high too. Not sure your height, but I'm 5'3" and eat around 1500 calories regardless if I exercise and lose weight pretty easily. Plus, I'm at 15% bf.
    If you could send me your height and weight, I'd like to do the numbers for curiosity sake. Not trying to be nosy, but would like to help.

I'm 5 ft 6 and keep bouncing around between 153-155. A trainer on here did some serious math and came up with 1542 a day, and at .5 pounds a week with MFP it says 1550. I try and eat back at least 80% of my exercise calories as I burn a ton during the day. Not nosy. Thanks for your helpl!

Isn't the 150s considered a healthy weight for your height? Why are you trying to go lower?
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    Personally, I think your calories are set too high and your sugars are pretty high too. Not sure your height, but I'm 5'3" and eat around 1500 calories regardless if I exercise and lose weight pretty easily. Plus, I'm at 15% bf.
    If you could send me your height and weight, I'd like to do the numbers for curiosity sake. Not trying to be nosy, but would like to help.
    Yeah, the reason they were so high was from the high calorie burn. I wear a HRM so I know they are accurate.

I'm 5 ft 6 and keep bouncing around between 153-155. A trainer on here did some serious math and came up with 1542 a day, and at .5 pounds a week with MFP it says 1550. I try and eat back at least 80% of my exercise calories as I burn a ton during the day. Not nosy. Thanks for your helpl!

I was looking at your diary and the past week your calories were set at 2400-2600, that's why I thought you were eating too much. The numbers you just gave me sound more reasonable.

yeah, the high calories were from my workouts. I would burn 1000 calories and had been told to eat back at least 80% so that's why it's so high. I teach two spin classes today, so I'm not sure how I should proceed today. I'll burn over 1000 I'm sure.

Well, with that being said.....you are doing too much cardio. Your body can only handle so much. I know it's tough having to teach classes.
    Are you lifting weights?
    Yes, I teach Body Pump too, which is a strength training/barbell class. :-) I teach that 4 times a week.

If you are trying to lose you shouldnt be eating back 80% of what you burn more around 50%. Also if you are teaching spin classes 2 twice a week and body pump personally I would lower your goal just a little but still make sure you hit the min 1200 cals a day because you are going to be burning over that.
    2 spin classes a DAY. ;-) I teach spin a minimum of 5 times a week, Body Pump 4 times, and then I add my own in.

Do you know what you AVG. RPM? if so then you can calculate how fast and really how many callories you are burning then adjust from there. :)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the reason they were so high was from the high calorie burn. I wear a HRM so I know they are accurate.

I was looking at your diary and the past week your calories were set at 2400-2600, that's why I thought you were eating too much. The numbers you just gave me sound more reasonable.

yeah, the high calories were from my workouts. I would burn 1000 calories and had been told to eat back at least 80% so that's why it's so high. I teach two spin classes today, so I'm not sure how I should proceed today. I'll burn over 1000 I'm sure.

Well, with that being said.....you are doing too much cardio. Your body can only handle so much. I know it's tough having to teach classes.
    Are you lifting weights?
    Yes, I teach Body Pump too, which is a strength training/barbell class. :-) I teach that 4 times a week.

If you are trying to lose you shouldnt be eating back 80% of what you burn more around 50%. Also if you are teaching spin classes 2 twice a week and body pump personally I would lower your goal just a little but still make sure you hit the min 1200 cals a day because you are going to be burning over that.
    2 spin classes a DAY. ;-) I teach spin a minimum of 5 times a week, Body Pump 4 times, and then I add my own in.

Do you know what you AVG. RPM? if so then you can calculate how fast and really how many callories you are burning then adjust from there. :)
    OH, it depends. I have a HRM, but my rpms are probably between 90-140 throughout the class. I push really hard.