Help! Why am I not losing any inches from my legs?

Options
BellaBerry130
BellaBerry130 Posts: 7 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys, I need some help... and maybe some encouragement too :(

First of all, here are some of my numbers for context:

Female, 25, 5' 3"
Starting weight: 207 lbs, June 2014
Current weight: 155 lbs
Goal weight: 130-140 lbs (not really going for a specific number; just wanna be at a healthy weight and feel/look good)

Throughout my weight loss i've definitely noticed that i have lost inches from my upper body. But for my lower half, the only change in more than two years is having gone from a 12/14 pant size to an 8/10. After that, nothing.

My biggest concern and the reason I am writing here is my CALVES, my God-forsaken, humongous calves!

When I started out at 207 lbs, my calves (measured at the widest part) were 16 inches. They are STILL 16" today.

My sneaking suspicion is that i've been walking, jogging, and power-walking too much, but aren't those exercises supposed to help slim the legs???

Because i know very little about fitness and working out which muscle how, my main go-to calorie-burner has been a walk or a power walk, done nearly every day. Usually i go for a 3-4 mph walk for 60-90 minutes, either outside or on the treadmill.

I feel like i've lost some inches from my thighs (just a guess; haven't actually measured) but it seems like my calves just won't budge. And that is a big problem because i can't find pants that fit my waist and thighs AND my calves...

Anyone, please.. I'd love some insight as to why my calves are still humongous and what i should do to slim them down..

I am frustrated...but hopeful... Please help!

Replies

• gregsbutler13
    gregsbutler13 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Genetically we all lose weight in different spots differently. Could also be that you are developing stronger muscles in your legs. Some people lose body fat in their lower half faster then they do in their top half. Just keep working hard, eating healthy and I'm sure they will catch up with the rest of your body.
  • BellaBerry130
    BellaBerry130 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    I know i definitely have fat to lose from my calves, but i also feel like i already have too much muscle in them, which i suspect is the reason they won't slim down! So i wonder if i need to do less of my walking, but walking is really the only form of exercise i like doing...

• gregsbutler13
    gregsbutler13 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My calves are also big, but my whole life they have been carrying around a tremendous amount of weight so they since become big and muscular. Once you slim down more your legs won't have to work so hard to support your body and I would imagine they would shrink down in size. My calves seem to get smaller and more defined the more weight I lose. I wish my thighs would follow in that regard lol
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Some people are just built differently. My brother in law has HUGE calves. Even when he's out of shape. That's just how he's built. Your calves may or may not get smaller. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's certainly a possibility.

I guess I'm just confused about why it's a problem. I understand that finding jeans is hard, but really EVERYONE has some sort of issue finding jeans. My hips are much bigger than my waist, and my jeans always gapped & fell. What I ended up doing was going on an all-day jeans shopping marathon at a mall & spent the day trying on different brands, styles & cuts to see what really worked for my body. It was exhausting & more than a little bruising to the ego. But I finally figured out that mid-waist, curvy cut with some spandex is the best for me. And BONUS, I found the perfect brand for my body shape! Now jeans shopping is fast & easy.

I mean, you COULD avoid all activities that use your calves in attempt to atrophy them smaller, but that sounds unhealthy and weird. Exercise is good for your health, body & mind and if you found something you like, you should keep doing it!

Also, walking, jogging & power walking will not "slim the legs." No exercise will shrink your body size (a calorie deficit does that) and spot reducing is not possible. Using your legs will mean that when you drop weight enough that the fat comes off your legs, they will be shapely & attractive instead of smaller but still jiggly.

I think you will be happier if you focus on learning to love your strong legs that carry you through so many awesome activities & put your focus on getting healthier. Good luck!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    ^^^ this

I'm 5' 2" and weigh 126lbs. My calves are just under 16". They have always been this size no matter how weight I gain or lose. It's genetics and there's not a lot I can do about it. I hated it when I was younger, but now I just think, ah well, they get me through 5k's, 10k's, and the occasional half-marathon. I can hike for hours at a time and scramble my way up hills and mountains. I wouldn't swap them for anything now.