Bread that is really low on Sodium - Is it possibly?

Options
Does anyone know of a bread out there that is low in sodium? Today I thought it would be a great idea to make a couple of sandwiches (Peanut Butter) man I didn't realize how much sodium was in 1 slice of bread.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Do you have an adverse reaction to sodium? Do you have hypertension or high blood pressure? If not, then don't worry that much about sodium.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jalexander33
    Jalexander33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thankful no High blood pressure or hypertension. I just like to stay under my daily sodium amounts. Of course I know having one day of high sodium isn't going to kill me I might see a bit more water retention but I don't normally have back to back days of over doing sodium.
    I just wanted those Peanut Butter sandwiches today LOL
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I think one of the only ways to really limit sodium in bread is to make it yourself. I could be wrong depending on where you are but it's tough to find anything that's pre-made that has any kind of shelf life that isn't chock full of sodium.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There isn't much salt in good bread. Are you buying some packaged rubbish? Also note that salt and sodium are not the same. 1g salt =388mg sodium.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet but there is a very low sodium Ezekiel bread. http://m.foodforlife.com/product/breads/ezekiel-49-low-sodium-sprouted-whole-grain-bread
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I haven't tried it yet but there is a very low sodium Ezekiel bread. http://m.foodforlife.com/product/breads/ezekiel-49-low-sodium-sprouted-whole-grain-bread

I haven't tried it either, it's simply not carried in my stores. I buy low sodium bread that the store bakery bakes, 115 mg sodium for 42 grams of bread (supposedly 2 slices).
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Thankful no High blood pressure or hypertension. I just like to stay under my daily sodium amounts. Of course I know having one day of high sodium isn't going to kill me I might see a bit more water retention but I don't normally have back to back days of over doing sodium.
    I just wanted those Peanut Butter sandwiches today LOL

Have you tried Wasa whole grain crispbread, gave up bread for that very reason. 4 Wasa Crispnbread = 140 calories, very filling @45 mg of sodium each crispbread and 35 calories.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I have looked at looked for lower sodium bread and have not been successful. It's extremely frustrating. The lowest I can find in my area is a nine grain bread and has 115 mg per slice. I've pretty much resigned myself to having to try my hand at making my own bread.
  • mb994
    mb994 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bread machines are a great way to have fresh homemade bread and also control the ingredients that go into the bread. You can lower the amount of salt that goes into the bread but I have found that if you lower the salt too much it affects the taste of the bread and it is really not that appetizing. Just my personal experience.
  • VLToneVL1
    VLToneVL1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    mb994 wrote: »
    Bread machines are a great way to have fresh homemade bread and also control the ingredients that go into the bread. You can lower the amount of salt that goes into the bread but I have found that if you lower the salt too much it affects the taste of the bread and it is really not that appetizing. Just my personal experience.

When I use my bread machine I often put just a little salt in the mix and add spices for more flavor.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Ezekiel Bread, Low Sodium; comes frozen in many grocery stores. Zero grams sodium per 34 gram serving (one slice). Makes great toast.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a bread out there that is low in sodium? Today I thought it would be a great idea to make a couple of sandwiches (Peanut Butter) man I didn't realize how much sodium was in 1 slice of bread.

Hi
    What do You consider low sodium? \
    My brother has been buying Nature's Harvest Light Multigrain that is 40 calories per slice and 160mg sodium if that fits Your requirement. You should be able to find something similar.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • Jalexander33
    Jalexander33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm going to look for some of the Ezekiel bread this weekend.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    Ezekiel Bread, Low Sodium; comes frozen in many grocery stores. Zero grams sodium per 34 gram serving (one slice). Makes great toast.

I keep looking for this bread in my area, I didn't know to look in the freezer section though. You've given me new hope that I may find it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    cappri wrote: »
    trina1049 wrote: »

I keep looking for this bread in my area, I didn't know to look in the freezer section though. You've given me new hope that I may find it.

Same. I never thought to look in the freezer section of, what I like to call Hippy Foods. I know it's not in the regular freezer areas. I guess it should be because it doesn't have many preservatives meaning it can go off faster (guessing there).
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    mb994 wrote: »

Yup.

Salt is generally necessary for bread because it controls the growth of the yeast and helps develop the bread's structure. It also acts as a light preservative and makes the bread taste better. I mean, you can bake salt free bread, but the quality will suffer a bit.