Fast Food Greater Than 1000 Calories

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
Found this interesting. I don't eat any of it anymore... but it just goes to show you that there are way more calories in the food we eat than we may think.

p5mcq4nxx19e.jpg

http://idealbite.com/fast-food-greater-than-1000-calories/

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Which is why calorie consumption is the main reason people gain/lose/maintain weight. Exercise helps to offset some of those calories, but the average person can't out exercise just one of these foods in an hour.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I used to love Del Taco's taco salads...so sad they closed down in my area :( .
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'll take the peanut butter shake!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is a picture of a meatball sub? :p
  • hlltwin
    hlltwin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The point of this...? Fast food is bad for us. We know this. Sitting down to eat a 32 oz shake is a bit excessive. I couldn't finish it, myself (not that I've tried but in the past the shakes I got were small 12 oz ones not the huge ones that are nearly 3X the size) The large fries are usually something I split with someone too, not try to eat by myself.

And CrabNebula is right... that's not a meatball sub.
  • cee134
    Options
    I expect my meals to be less then 1000 calories a sitting...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    None of those calorie counts are particularly shocking to me.
  • mdonsbach
    mdonsbach Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I still eat fast food I just work it into my calorie count.
  • hlltwin
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Me too but those aren't meals. Those are pieces of meals which is even worse, but it's also like the worst thing off each menu. A Burger King Quadruple Stacker? Of course it's a sandwich/burger over 1000 calories. It's not 1 burger. It's 4 burgers. The Outback Fries up there... I'm pretty sure that those are on their appetizer menu (if a recent ad I saw is to be believed.) You can eat an appetizer by itself as your meal but most people split them with other people at the table (at least that's how my family works apps).

I also eat at most of those places. You can find meals for under 1000 calories (whole meals not just pieces of meals) and if you plan your day correctly, you can even eat them.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food once a week and get food that is closer to 500 calories which is what I normally eat for that meal. You can get lower calorie food if you choose.

The lesson is check nutritional info and have a sense of what calories are in foods. If something is fried, has a pound of meat, cheese, bread, gravy, a pile of fries bigger than a cat, basically a pint of ice cream with peanut butter the calories are going to be up there. Don't act shocked that it adds up to 1,000+ calories.
    You can be shocked about salads. Fast food salads can be sneaky.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Ditto. And some of those are sides, desserts, appetizers. It really puts things in perspective.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't find any of that surprising. But I eat a meal >1000 calories almost every day.
  • cee134
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't find any of that surprising. But I eat a meal >1000 calories almost every day.

How many meals a day to you eat? I'm betting 2 or a large one and alittle small ones.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Sure but I don't expect deep fried food topped with high calorie food and large portions to fit my idea of a regular meal.
  • hlltwin
    Options
    On the weekends I'll sometimes eat two meals. Then one of them will be over 1000 or at least in that ballpark. That's just math. We also went to a trampoline park one day, so we needed to eat back a lot of calories after trampolining for 2 hours. It was fun but quite a workout.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    In fairness... at one restaurant I went to, when the appetizer was more than 1000 calories, they expected 4-6 people to split the thing. Looking at the Aussie cheese fries... that's more like 8-12 people enjoying them.

I think some of these grossly huge things - like the Heart Attack Grill's Quaruple Bypass Burger - are meant to be shockingly huge. It's like they're thumbing their noses at all the people who say fast food is unhealthy. It's like they're saying, "You wanna see unhealthy? This is unhealthy!"

Also... Dairy Queen's Chicken Strip Basket is on their twice and the one with more strips has LESS calories. (1340 cal for the 4 piece, 1270 cal for the 6 piece). How does that even work?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

How many meals a day to you eat? I'm betting 2 or a large one and alittle small ones.

Usually 2, one small, one large.