100 pound weight loss and loose skin

2»

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I totally disagree…if you tend to your skin like you do your logging and exercise it WILL make a difference. Of course losing weight too fast like on Extreme Body Makeover is a huge mistake. Don't think you're over 50 and lose skin will be a reality, do your best to control things.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    there's a wrap around band thing that some of my friends used after having a baby that they wrapped around their tummy and it supposedly helped tighten the skin back up. I can't think of what it's specifically called, but they liked it.
  • dillylilah
    dillylilah Posts: 2 Member
    I'm 33 years old and I was 231 pounds (105kg) and I dropped down to 163 pounds (74kg) in over a year due to illness, it was rather quick. There was no loose skin but I noticed my tummy and thighs were slightly softer (jiggly) but hardly noticible. Sadly I put the weight back on but in no way has it detoured me from losing it again. I feared the same thing about loose skin but my mind has been put at ease. I guess it also depends where your problem area is.
    Regarding creams and oils, I never used them when losing weight but through my pregnancies I used almond oil, bio oil vitamin e (what ever was on special that week) on my tummy which helped with stretch marks. I don't think it matters what you put on your skin just as long as long as you're hydrate it
  • gregsbutler13
    gregsbutler13 Posts: 29 Member
    I'm 32 and weighed in at my highest a weight of 346 lbs. I'm thinking I may have some loose skin around my stomach area, but still up in the area because I have 30lbs to go.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to have loose skin, mostly due to the pregnancy with my daughter. Before her my stomach was big but didn't sag and after her it definitely sags. I've always been overweight so that's another thing that will probably mean I have loose skin. I just want to look good in clothes. The only one seeing me naked is my BF and I and since he doesn't care I think I'll be just fine!
  • VeggieClaire
    VeggieClaire Posts: 11 Member
    I've not got quite as much to lose (almost though!) and loose skin worries me. Hence why I've started Callanetics. Look it up!
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    If you're losing 100 pounds there is inevitably going to be a little bit of loose skin but hopefully not a lot. I don't really think there's much you can do to control it because it's really more about genetics, and even with good genes skin only snaps back so much. Strength training and hydration and losing at a reasonable pace are all good but I'm not sure how much they really play in to things in the end. But, you will be happier and healthier and it is more than worth it!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    I've lost 100 pounds from my highest weight. I definitely had some loose skin, mostly around my thighs and lower abdomen but it wasn't too bad. I think the fact that I lost slowly and lifted from day one really helped. Also don't be too discouraged at what your skin first looks like when you are done losing, I've just hit a year of maintenance and my skin has drastically improved over the last year.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    If you're still young, it will be in your favor.
    If you work on lifting during your journey, it will also be in your favor.
    Also in your favor is a slow weight loss.

My skin is definitely not elastic as evidenced by my Majorly stretch marked abdomen (had twins) and family history. I lost 102 lbs and I'm very thankful to not have the evidence of That. Most people are shocked to learn that I lost so much weight because "I don't look like it". Now, my belly just plain out looks like I've been pregnant; it's bit of looseness is from that. Tummy tuck is being planned.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    The bigger you are when you start and the older you are the more likely you are to have loose skin. I'm 35 and have lost 70 and there is loose skin despite losing slowly and doing weight training.

Loose skin or fears of loose skin are not a reason to stop or even really to worry. Even if you end up with skin issues you will still be healthier for it.
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    I've lost over 70 pounds and have had 2 kids. I'm surprised I don't have more loose skin. I think high protein intake helps.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Ok so I they say it's all genetics and age and how fast or slow you lose weight but let's all try to cover our bases in case we can prevent it and at least if it doesn't work we tried ..

Weight training!! Lift heavy make yourself strong look up I think it's Vismal went from "morbidly obese to six pack "" and from the pics i see no loose skin huge inspiration and look up the thread "halp lifting heavy made me bulky"

Hydrate ! Drink lots of water! also put water in a spray bottle and add aloe Vera gel . Aloe Vera is a great moisturizer and helps your skin stay hydrated (I wish I would've done this when I was pregnant maybe less stretch marks but who knows right but if u did it at least you know u tried )

Good luck to us all !
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    jbatinker wrote: »
    What are the good creams to use on your skin as you are losing the weight?

I have to say that was my biggest fear about losing weight because of all the television shows about it. However I think those are the extreme. I am almost 50, have had two kids, and know I will not snap back like someone in their 20's who have not been pregnant. My husband is great because he keeps telling me that we (together :) ) will deal with the lose skin as it comes.
    dry brush, use cereva cream, massage..and don't lose too fast. obviously if you lose super fast..the skin won't keep up..
    http://www.cerave.com/coupons

I love dry brushing, my skin has changed so much. <3@elisa123gal I also have fallen in love with that brand of lotion as well, it's wonderful on my skin.

Sometimes I read threads where others suggest using lotion removes loose skin. um, noooo! That would be like, Magic and bizarre because it can't possibly do that.

It can however be a great moisturizer for your skin, whether it be tummy, chest, face, arms, legs, feet etc.

OP great job on the decision to step up to create a healthier body. :+1: Track your foods closely with a digital food scale and for solids, measuring spoons and cups for liquid and you're on your way for the win!

• LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    I have been obese the majority of my life.. 148lbs when I was a 4th grader.. wearing size 14 womens in 3rd grade, etc.
    I got to 250 then 200 before with 0 loose skin at age 18.
    Then at age 24 (now) I got to 280 and I am a little under 230 with 0 loose skin. I am anticipating my loose skin won't show until I get around 160-170 pounds. My goal weight is 115-120 and I understand it may be bad because of how long I have been obese.

You can look on youtube there are women and men who show what they look like now with their 100+lb weight loss. The problem area I have seen most are the arms. I think a lot of people with 100+ to lose worry about their appearance after it's said and done. We have this image of what we are going to look like at our goal weight and sometimes it just doesn't come to reality.. and that's okay. We live, adjust, and live some more.
  • patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    I am 52 and lost 110 lbs over a year to get to a healthy weight. I did (and still do) regular, pretty intense weight training along with a lot of cardio and watching my food intake. I had quite a bit of loose skin, to the point that clothing wouldn't fit properly because my waist size was bigger than the rest of my body. The weight training did help significantly with my legs and arms - there is very little loose skin on my arms and legs because I've filled it back in with muscle (I'm getting regular comments about how cut my arms are!!). My stomach and behind were left with a lot though. 3 doctors told me that my skin would not bounce back because of my age so I had skin removal surgery on my stomach. It had nothing to do with what other people thought - I wanted to be able to wear clothing that fit reasonably - I figured I had earned that after all of my hard work.

Hopefully you are young enough that your skin has retained its elasticity and you won't be left with much or any loose skin but there is a way to get it removed if you want that. You need to do what you are comfortable with, not what someone else tells you you should be comfortable with.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!