Instruction on lifting weights at gym

Options
I am focusing on getting back into eating healthy and exercising again. I'm rapidly figuring out that I really don't like cardio much and would like to focus on learning how to lift weights.

Is this something personal trainers could help me with or would they have their own agenda and ideas about what I should be doing? I have a copy of NROLFW and have downloaded the Stronglifts app but feel like I need instruction on how to actually do everything properly. The gym I belong to (Snap Fitness) is very small and there are only two trainers there, one man and one woman.

Replies

• JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    The trainers are there for YOU if they don't help you, id contact the gym manager. They may charge you for consultation sessions. You can also look on YouTube for exercise videos on stuff. A lot of time the machine will have a picture on how to operate it. Congrats on getting back into the fit lifestyle! Any questions feel free to ask or add me if youd like.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Hire a trainer to instruct you on execution of NROLFW lifts. I've had many people hire me just to check their squat, deadlift, pullup and bench form many times. Just make sure they are someone who really knows. Scan the trainers in the gym and watch them train clients and see if they are trainers who pay attention to detail or if they just tell someone to do something and gab alot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    The beauty of SL5X5 is that you start with very light weight from the beginning so form can be perfected. Try YouTube to find videos on proper form and go from there. If you still feel like you need somebody to take a look, ask for help. Most trainers would give you an opinion on form without charging you. Sometimes they'll even give you an opinion on form without you asking for it. :)
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    The SL5x5 app links you to the youtube videos on how to complete each lift properly. You get Sl5x5 training for free.
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't mind paying for a few sessions. I'm just a little nervous about blindly picking up weights based on a video. I do know how to use the machines (the pics are helpful or I've just watched other people) but really want to focus on using free weights but it seems the potential for injury would be pretty great without proper instruction.
  • FLBeachluvr
    Options
    [
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hire a trainer to instruct you on execution of NROLFW lifts. I've had many people hire me just to check their squat, deadlift, pullup and bench form many times. Just make sure they are someone who really knows. Scan the trainers in the gym and watch them train clients and see if they are trainers who pay attention to detail or if they just tell someone to do something and gab alot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Lol on the gabbing alot. When I lived in California I noticed that many of the trainers at my gym there were more interested in checking out the other members than paying attention to their clients.

I guess the best thing to do is talk to the gym manager and see what she says. There are only two trainers at my little gym but the woman is ACE certified and has competed in fitness competitions.
  • FLBeachluvr
    Options
    The beauty of SL5X5 is that you start with very light weight from the beginning so form can be perfected. Try YouTube to find videos on proper form and go from there. If you still feel like you need somebody to take a look, ask for help. Most trainers would give you an opinion on form without charging you. Sometimes they'll even give you an opinion on form without you asking for it. :)

Right now I don't have a lot of muscle to start with so in looking at what they suggest as "starting weights" would probably be too much for me as I can't see where there is any modification for women.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    keharty wrote: »

Right now I don't have a lot of muscle to start with so in looking at what they suggest as "starting weights" would probably be too much for me as I can't see where there is any modification for women.

You can change the weights in the app. If you can't do just the bar, see if your gym has fixed weight barbells at a lower weight and start with that.
  • LilMedusa
    LilMedusa Posts: 5 Member
    Options

You can change the weights in the app. If you can't do just the bar, see if your gym has fixed weight barbells at a lower weight and start with that.

This is what I did when I started SL5x5. I actually started with a 30lb fixed barbell to learn the form, then moved up to a 40lb, then the empty bar. It worked out great.
  • FLBeachluvr
    Options
    LilMedusa wrote: »

This is what I did when I started SL5x5. I actually started with a 30lb fixed barbell to learn the form, then moved up to a 40lb, then the empty bar. It worked out great.

In doing some more reading I think that's exactly what I'll do. Thanks!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Is this something personal trainers could help me with or would they have their own agenda and ideas about what I should be doing?

Some trainers may want to give you a routine that's customized to your goals and abilities. That can often be superior to cookie-cutter workouts. Unless you want to compete in powerlifting, be open-minded to the hundreds of other exercises that are out there. :+1:
  • FLBeachluvr
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Is this something personal trainers could help me with or would they have their own agenda and ideas about what I should be doing?

Some trainers may want to give you a routine that's customized to your goals and abilities. That can often be superior to cookie-cutter workouts. Unless you want to compete in powerlifting, be open-minded to the hundreds of other exercises that are out there. :+1:

I think I'll just talk to the manager at the gym and let her know my goals and see what she suggests. I'm really open to anything that can help me build some muscle and lose some fat.