Vegan or vegetarian ?

Options
Hi everyone,
Yesterday I saw the "Farm to Fridge" documentary on YouTube and it seriously tore me apart.
I couldn't help but cry to see what they do to these poor animals, it's cruel and in humane and those people deserve to be punished. I hate judging people but there was nothing good about the way those workers handled the animals. I get it, it has to be done to feed the U.S and make money some how but dang I just could not bare it. If you haven't seen it and plan on watching it, please prepare yourself. I had to shut off the video. But in reality it was definitely an eye opener. I thought about going vegan or vegetarian, but not to sure where to start. I know this may be a drastic change but after watching that video, meat and dairy is not even worth it. I know there is alternatives and can replace with soy and such things.
I would love some advice and your experience and if it was tough to transition. Please add me as well. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    "Documentaries" like these are very biased toward one side. I put documentaries in quotes because most of them are just scare tactic propaganda. They twist things and only show you the parts that fit their agenda.

And sometimes its real...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tyson-animal-abuse-chicken-breeding-farm_us_57acbddde4b007c36e4d90f1?section=&
  • JC77721
    JC77721 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    How about you do some research about companies that don't treat animals poorly? I guess there might be some or many. Not necessarily to go vegetaian/vegan because of a documentary
  • ClareMillsRoberts
    ClareMillsRoberts Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been pescetarian for about a year now but I only eat fish very occasionally. For me it was quite a gradual process (probably over the course of about 5 or 6 years). I initially tried to eat less meat and only buy organic and free range and more sustainably sourced fish etc but it got to the point when I was eating meat so rarely I thought I may as well cut it out completely. I also read the book 'Eating Animals' by Jonathan Safran Foer which had a big impact on me. Ideally I'm looking to cut out fish completely at some point in the future. Anyway, my tip would be to start introducing more non-meat based dishes into your diet so that you get used to not having to always base a dish around meat. I make lots of vegetable pasta dishes, curries and stews with veggies and chick peas or lentils, stuffed peppers, falafels, I use tofu in curries and stir fries and I occasionally use meat substitutes like soya mince or quorn as that allows me to replicate some of the dishes I enjoyed before giving up meat. I find cooking without meat means you have to be a bit more thoughtful about seasoning and spicing because you can't rely on the natural tasty-savoury-umami-ness from the meat but you can replicate it using other ingredients e.g. yeast extract and soy sauce. Don't be afraid to experiment and you can find lots of recipe ideas online. Good luck.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    So I would recommend phasing out meat with a reasonable time table until you are vegetarian. That way the changes you make will last. Also do some research, because their are certain nutritional supplements you may need that you can not get from plants alone. B12 and it's hard to get iodine.

There is a diet that is regularly awarded as the healthiest diet in the world. It's called the DASH diet, but it's not a diet, it's just a healthy way of eating. See if you can follow the suggested servings (ignore the sodium restriction), it's basically a very healthy vegetarian diet that allows no more then 6 oz of lean meat. Then start phasing out the meat, and watch your protein intake as you do that. As a vegetarian, you will need to eat more beans and legumes so keep that in mind too.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This page exists to help people be healthy and live sustainability as a Vegan and not to give some misinformation out there that exists on some "vegan" sites.

Recommended Supplements for Vegans
    http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/11/recommended-supplements-for-vegans.html
    An effort to prove that a whole foods vegan diet is the ideal or foolproof diet of all humans gives rise to all kinds of potentially harmful myths. These include the unfounded position that vegans can meet vitamin B12 needs by consuming unwashed organic produce, or that we have lower calcium needs than omnivores, or that it’s been “proven” that no one needs long chain omega-3 fats in their diet.
    This is where we are with vegan diets: We promote a way of eating that is well outside the mainstream and, therefore, are challenged to prove its safety every step of the way. The things at stake are the health of the people to whom we promote it, and the lives of the billions of animals who depend on us to make veganism a realistic and safe choice for everyone. So we’d be very wise to err on the side of caution in making recommendations about how to eat.
    Vegans do need supplements or fortified foods, and admitting that a vegan diet is not automatically pure perfection is way better than getting sick.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    This page exists to help people be healthy and live sustainability as a Vegan and not to give some misinformation out there that exists on some "vegan" sites.

Recommended Supplements for Vegans
    http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/11/recommended-supplements-for-vegans.html
    An effort to prove that a whole foods vegan diet is the ideal or foolproof diet of all humans gives rise to all kinds of potentially harmful myths. These include the unfounded position that vegans can meet vitamin B12 needs by consuming unwashed organic produce, or that we have lower calcium needs than omnivores, or that it’s been “proven” that no one needs long chain omega-3 fats in their diet.
    This is where we are with vegan diets: We promote a way of eating that is well outside the mainstream and, therefore, are challenged to prove its safety every step of the way. The things at stake are the health of the people to whom we promote it, and the lives of the billions of animals who depend on us to make veganism a realistic and safe choice for everyone. So we’d be very wise to err on the side of caution in making recommendations about how to eat.
    Vegans do need supplements or fortified foods, and admitting that a vegan diet is not automatically pure perfection is way better than getting sick.

Generally most people have issues getting enough B12 because it's just not that available. Alot of people have low vitamin D due to most of us working inside all day and not getting any sunlight These vitamin issues are exclusive to vegans, they apply to alot of people. Best thing anyone can do just take a multivitamin daily and they should be okay.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian after watching documentaries. Actually I'm pescetarian now and not eating diary. If you feel like it - go for it. For me it was one of best decisions in my life. I'm planning to stop eating fish too in some time. There is plenty of info online, but it's true most of it is biased and manipulative on emotions (unfortunately especially from vegans). I can recommend channel on YouTube "unnatural vegan". It's very informative with plenty of scientific evidence instead of playing on emotions. There are videos about basic nutrition as well. Good luck! :wink:
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I live in the no-coast and can tell you that there are plenty of family farmers still trying to make a living off of grass fed/yard fed beef and chicken. If you have a big enough freezer you can buy a whole side of some happy cow from a small farmer off the internet. look here: http://www.eatwild.com/products/farmsthatship.html I know factory farms can be pretty messed up, but there really are other options if you do still want to eat meat.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    JC77721 wrote: »
    How about you do some research about companies that don't treat animals poorly? I guess there might be some or many. Not necessarily to go vegetaian/vegan because of a documentary

This is what I did. I decided I didn't like some particular commercial dairy practices. I started looking into it and found a regional dairy that hits all the marks for me for responsible husbandry and stewardship. Yeah, I have to pay more, but it is worth it me. I also make a lot of dairy products on my own - butter, buttermilk, yogurt, some cheeses, and that also saves some $$.

As sad is it makes me, I have decided to drastically reduce the amount of pork I eat after reading this. I will just have to source better and bend good over to pay for it, not give it up altogether.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I live in the no-coast and can tell you that there are plenty of family farmers still trying to make a living off of grass fed/yard fed beef and chicken. If you have a big enough freezer you can buy a whole side of some happy cow from a small farmer off the internet. look here: http://www.eatwild.com/products/farmsthatship.html I know factory farms can be pretty messed up, but there really are other options if you do still want to eat meat.

How happy was that cow when it died tho?
  • FatmaMalik
    FatmaMalik Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I want to go vegan because it is healthier ,, but unfortunately I live in Egypt where the vegan products are rare ....
    I don't take it ethically bc in Egypt the majority is muslim so they have to be careful when treating animals before they use their products - or their meat- because we don't eat animals that are (dead or killed in a bad way)
    but I don't have much information if they do harm them here too bc in our era everything is being cheated!!!

mum always tells me that the taste of everything has changed,, in the past everything was a lot better than now :neutral:
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    its almost impossibly to get dairy that is ethical unless you have your own cow. I contacted every organic pasture local "ethical" farm near me here in San Diego. They treat these animals amazing.. in fact Straus only milks their cows once a day and then they are out the pasture ( this is not even close to the norm around the country in fact i think there are about 15 farms that do this)... sounds amazing right? Any calfs that are born male get shipped off to the beef/veal factory. So while not eating meat is great dairy is still pretty bad as well... especially commercial dairy.

edit I am not vegan or vegetarian but I have a masters in Nutrition and have done a lot of research on the subject. After I get my Crohns disease in check ( i don't absorb nutrients and can't get my anemia in check without meat right now) i will be cutting out meat again.
  • Its_now_or_never31
    Its_now_or_never31 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback, I have a lot of research to do and I know everyone does it different so just thankful for you all sharing your own experience.
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and it's the second best decision I've made in my life!