Problems Staying Motivated

Options
Hello Friends,

I'm having trouble staying on plan. I'll get on board for a week, lose a few pounds, and then indulge and give up. I'm getting increasingly scared because I'm losing feeling in my toes. I'm not diabetic, but I'm sure it's coming if I don't turn things around. Any advice for STAYING motivated?

Thank you.

Replies

• crowedog6
    crowedog6 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Here if you need help
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Being diagnosed with diabetes was enough to keep me motivated. Having been barely able to walk more than 1/4 mile has been enough to keep me motivated. (Diabetes is now an old footnote in my medical record and i can run 2 miles, walk 6-8 with no stops.)

You could do a web search for "complications of diabetes". Read some articles & look at some pictures. Fear works wonders!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Motivation is an overrated emotion that only gets you so far...ultimately you just do. We all do things every single day for which we are not motivated...I'm rarely motivated to do the dishes or mow the lawn or clean the toilette...but these things need doing or my house would be a wreck and unlivable...your body is your house...take care of your house.

I would also add that many try to do far too much too soon and/or have very narrow perceptions of what constitutes good nutrition and are overly restrictive...don't do that. Nobody makes whole sale changes overnight. You also have to realize that nobody is "on" 100% of the time...life happens...parties and random BBQs happen...special occasions happen...random beers on Wednesday night happen...these only become reasons to quit if you are coming at this with an all or nothing mentality...and if you are, you will always lose...all or nothing is not a reasonable or realistic way to approach any of this.

As exercise goes, find something you more or less enjoy doing...you will be far more likely to do it regularly even when you don't necessarily feel like it. I love to ride my bike...I'm not always in the mood, but I have a training plan and stick to it for the most part...and for the most part I like to ride so it's not that big of a deal.

• lastfarewell
    lastfarewell Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone.
  • calomeni85
    calomeni85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you saw my food diary yesterday, it would make you sick. ALWAYS log what you eat. Even if you fail. This is my second time around on MFP, and I've learned that I need to log everything. No matter what I eat. Helps me stay accountable and motivated to do better the next day. Don't be so hard on yourself, just do better!
  • calomeni85
    calomeni85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you need more support. :)
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Forget about motivation. Motivation, as you are finding, only lasts for a short time.

instead, find a reason.

or, if you can't find a reason, just make it a routine. It's like brushing your teeth. People that do this regularly for years, don't get up everyday feeling motivated and pumped. Half the time, they'd rather just lay in bed. But, they do it anyway. they just get up and do it. It's called discipline. Motivation has nothing to do with it. It is a discipline.

So, 1) find a reason, 2) make it a discipline and routine. It's not an extra thing you do, IT IS WHAT YOU DO>

This. This. Also this.

Make it part of adulting. Period.