IV fluid retention help!

Options
So, I've been in the hospital for almost a week now. I came in with acute renal injury and would be retaining water naturally from that due to reduced urination, but I've been giving bags on bags of IV fluids and I can't believe how much water weight I gained. I came in at 109 on Sunday, and I just weighed in at 140.1. Now, I completely understand that this is just water weight and should come off once I'm better and out of here, but I look like a balloon and my skin is so stretched and tight that it's hard to move and its pretty painful. I have stretch marks now too, which I've never had before. I was just wondering if there's anything I could do to improve mobility while I'm here, like exercises? I can eat whatever I want while I'm here, but are there any foods I should stay away from or should eat more of? And will these damn stretch marks go away once the weight comes off?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor about this?
  • livingbyinches
    livingbyinches Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've asked about the stretch marks but because he's a nephrologist he said he doesn't know. I'm going to have a meeting with a pt on Sunday but I don't know if I can wait that long to help with the tightness
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid we really can't advise on this - it's a medical matter.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    From my own experience with water weight from IV fluids (along with Iv steroids and other "fun" medication that causes water retention), it should start to resolve when you get home. However, since you are having renal issues, that may make it more complicated. Ask the nephrologist about the retention.

In regards to stretch marks, see if anyone can bring you some cocoa butter. The moisturizing properties of cocoa butter can really help with stretch marks (I used it when losing weight with some good results).
  • MiMi_5151
    MiMi_5151 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Definitely a medical matter. I thought that anyone on IV fluids would have urine output measured to make sure you are not receiving significantly more volume than you are eliminating? Since your kidneys are not efficient, you have a lot of extra fluid in your body. I'm sure your nephrologist is keeping an eye on this, as well your electrolyte levels. He may not have any advise about how to deal with the physicals effects of the excess fluid, but I am guessing he is aware of the fluid weight you have gained and deemed it medically necessary.

If allowed by your medical team, I would walk the halls whenever you can.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Agreed, the nephrologist is the ONLY person in a position to address the water retention. A registered dietician at the hospital should be able to advise you on diet. The stretch marks will prob go away because it hasn't been terribly long, but really, it sounds like that is the least of your worries right now. Get well soon.
  • witheredbonniesteam
    witheredbonniesteam Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would also check with your nephrologist. What I can say from my own experience on the iv fluid retention is that after my surgery I too was swollen. I didn't stay at the hospital for very long but I did have water retention that slowly went away over time. After you hear from your doctor, make sure to take care of yourself, and that you be patient with your body, after all it is trying its best everyday. Dealing with the issues of feeling swollen led me to realize that my body was very much capable of healing itself with the proper care and nutrition and yours will too.
    Get well soon ! ✨✨✨
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound good. Feel better soon.