How many days do you prep in advance.

Hi i was looking to make my lunches a few days at a time well actually every 3 days it will be rice veggies and a meat. If i make enough and portion it out will it keep in the fridge.

Thanks

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I usually cook extra of whatever we're having for dinner and pack that for my lunch. The only thing I really prep in advance are things like beans, quinoa, rice, etc which I prepare in bulk on the weekend.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Yes it will keep at least 3 days. I prep on Sundays and if I can get enough portions for the week, I will do that, but try to at least get me through Thursday. If you want to prep for longer, you can always freeze the extra portions.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Most of what I make (quiches, frittatas, stews, fat bombs, cheese stuffed sausages) will hold for at least a week in the fridge. I've had some fat bombs that will survive a solid two weeks with no issues.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    I prep 4-7 days of food at a time. I cook rice, potatoes and assorted meats, Chicken, steak, etc and then portion them out into meals each night for the next day. It makes things so much easier to not have to think of something to make every day and if I'm hungry it's ready to go within minutes. I keep a little white board on the side of my fridge with the portion amounts for each food in the fridge on it. I believe all of this truly adds to success when trying to lose weight.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Most of what I make (quiches, frittatas, stews, fat bombs, cheese stuffed sausages) will hold for at least a week in the fridge. I've had some fat bombs that will survive a solid two weeks with no issues.

go on...
  • NealNH
    NealNH Posts: 105 Member
    My wife an I are in the prep large batch and freeze portions camp.
    We typically do a 6 pound chuck roast or similar size pork shoulder in the slow cooker and then portion it out and freeze.
    You can also make things like individual meat loaf or home made soup.
    It makes it really easy to plan meals because you know the calories in each serving.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Rage_Phish wrote: »

go on...

A couple of my favorites:
    http://www.ruled.me/savory-pizza-fat-bombs/
    http://www.ruled.me/cheesy-bacon-bombs/
    http://www.ruled.me/fried-queso-fresco/
    http://www.ruled.me/no-bake-coconut-cashew-bars/
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I usually cook dinner with at least one extra meal in mind which is used for my work lunches. If I am doing soup or stew I do a large batch and freeze in single serving containers for grab n go lunches.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    three daily meals 5 days at a time with some easy throw together stuff to mix it up- always have fruit, string cheese, nuts, and a few other snacks that work into my calories / Macro lifestyle
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Everyone's mentioning rice... Please, tell me your secret to reheating leftover rice. Mine's always hard and unpalatable. :(
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I make soups, chili, meatloaf and stews in large batches that I portion and freeze. But that is done out of convenience (I don't like to cook :/ ), but other than that I don't prep or pre-log my meals. Of course it helps that I don't work any more...
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited August 2016
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Everyone's mentioning rice... Please, tell me your secret to reheating leftover rice. Mine's always hard and unpalatable. :(

Cover it with a completely soaked paper towel during reheat. If that's not enough, add in a very small amount of water or broth.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    It usually depends on how much I can get out of a recipe, usually from 2-16 days in advance [higher days in advance are for foods that can be prepped, frozen then reheated when needed]. I do this a lot for breakfast since I work day shifts.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    I prepare most meals each night for the next day.