Paleo Diet!

Options
Has anyone ever done paleo diet? If so could you please share your results?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm starting to think that any diet that restricts highly processed carbohydrates works.
    No pasta, cereal, or candy? I can't do that.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I tried it and found it was too restrictive for me. I like having a balanced macro and eliminate nothing from my diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Did it for a while, decided it didn't make sense to me since I'm not ever tempted to overeat grains, think pasta and oats and various other whole grains can be convenient and healthful (not pasta so much as what I eat with it, but I don't see it as bad for me), and especially find some dairy an excellent protein source and legumes a good thing to include in my diet.

I do like the focus on protein and vegetables, eating all parts of an animal (organ meats), and how the animal is sourced, and in cooking from whole foods, but I did most of that without being paleo, so I don't see it as unique to paleo.

That said, there are lots of good and inspiring sites with paleo recipes, and if you are currently eating a diet that you want to change it can be an incentive for change. The actual "paleo" argument is not convincing to me, but I find many people who do it don't buy into that.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss goes, same results as with a non restricted diet.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I tried it because my husband wanted to and he has gone along with every single thing I've wanted to try. I am generally against diets that restrict lots of food.

Anyway, we followed the Whole 30.
    I have to admit, I liked it. A lot. I was never hungry. I didn't go nuts with cravings. I lost weight. I found a lot of recipes that I really liked, including several in the book.
    I did make sure I was getting extra carbs because the diet tends to be lower carbs although it does not have to be.
    But.
    It isn't something I could sustain all the time. It is very labour intensive. You have to prep ahead or plan ahead. Most of the meals aren't something you can grab and go (unless you don't mind eating eggs in spinach and coconut oil all the time)
    I still build a lot of my meals the same way, a protein, healthy fat and veggies. But I don't restrict foods like the plan calls for.
  • debz4fitness
    debz4fitness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! :)
  • taraccarter729
    taraccarter729 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs doing Paleo, but unless your family is doing it with you, and you want to make it a lifestyle, it's difficult to sustain. Which explains why I gained back every pound I lost and then some. I felt great, I was satisfied in the sense of not being hungry, but I felt deprived. And man, eating a slice of pizza after about a month of Paleo made me so, so sick. In bed groaning kind of tummy pain.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I've tried some aspects of a paleo diet in the past, mainly with spices. Most paleo-approved spices are also low in sodium.
  • debz4fitness
    debz4fitness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • lyssa1210
    lyssa1210 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am starting it this weekend after being on it once before. It helps my digestion a lot!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think that any diet that restricts highly processed carbohydrates works.
    No pasta, cereal, or candy? I can't do that.

Any diet works, as long as it restricts calories (directly or indirectly).
  • rnnzo
    rnnzo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Paleo is literally the hardest thing ever. If you can do it and are genuinely happy then I applaude you! I tried it for a couple months and I couldn't even tell if there was a difference because my mental state was very bad. I felt very restricted and unhappy because I'm a person who likes all kinds of food so I think it really had an effect on whether I could see results or not.
    I think that doing a whole foods based thing or maybe Paleo for two meals a day is better than totally submitting to the diet
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I admire the Paleo diet but I can't live without my cheese and heavy creams. Don't see how I can give that up in my LCHF diet.
  • mypeep
    mypeep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I grew extremely frustrated trying to find recipes that didn't require so much time to prepare. This was true both online and with various Paleo cookbooks.

I also found the recommended sources of animal protein for breakfast i.e. fish, pork, bacon etc. unappealing. The only thing I consistently ate were eggs which got to be boring. I did like the emphasis on fresh fruits and veggies and got a steamer to assist me in vegetable prep.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The NO dairy would trip me up in less than a day..
  • mypeep
    mypeep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was on the Paleo diet for several weeks and started to have muscle fatigue and joint pain in my knees which prevented me from doing my daily activities. I slowly added carbohydrates in the form of oats, whole grains, and legumes etc. and had more energy and no further pain.

I have used some of the suggestions for protein from the diet and do admit that it helped me stay full. However, I feel that it is important to have a well balanced diet which includes some carbs, protein, and fats. This ensures proper nutrition and successful weight loss.