when you mess up.....

Options
when you guys mess up and eat more cals how many do you tend to go over? I really screwed up today for the first time in 2 weeks and ate almost 900 calories more then I was supposed to and didn't work out at all (my mom came to visit) I am going to be back on track tommorrow but I was just wondering, am I the only one that goes THAT MUCH over.... or do other people? or do you tend to only go over like 100? I feel like crap ugh

Replies

• KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    when you guys mess up and eat more cals how many do you tend to go over? I really screwed up today for the first time in 2 weeks and ate almost 900 calories more then I was supposed to and didn't work out at all (my mom came to visit) I am going to be back on track tommorrow but I was just wondering, am I the only one that goes THAT MUCH over.... or do other people? or do you tend to only go over like 100? I feel like crap ugh
  • BBCoachKel72
    BBCoachKel72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We all have those days every once and a while. You can't dwell over it. Tomorrow is a new day!
    Sometime when I have a high calorie day like that. I will do extra cardio the next day. That always makes me fell better about the small set backs.
    Best of luck you, Kelly! :flowerforyou:
  • raramacher
    Options
    I haven't gone over YET, but I've only been at this since New Year's. I'm sure I will go over eventually! Everyone does once in a while! Tomorrow is a new day! Don't look back and let it stress you. :happy:
  • callme911
    callme911 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try not to beat yourself up. Especially if you are still kinda new to this. It is a learning process.

I personally haven't gone over, but I have been so careful to plan ahead, and if I know I will be out all day and eating outside of the home, I plan that ahead of time too. What and where I will eat. It helps A LOT.

Don't beat yourself up though. You know you went over, and it happens to everyone at some point or another. Just make an extra effort to get your exercise in the rest of the week. Maybe you can make a deal with yourself. Make yourself work out 5 minutes, or 10 minutes longer each work out this week or something. Or, just write the day off as a loss and know you will be back on track tomorrow!

You are doing good thus far I'm sure!
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. You're not the only one. I feel like I have those days a lot. I am really unhappy with my job and living situation right now so I tend to get home and eat and eat. All pretty healthy foods, but more calories than I need.
  • xenanoo
    xenanoo Posts: 69
    Options
    I was looking at fast food in the database, and i GUARENTEE I would go over If i had ate out before I looked over it. In fact I could still see myself going over getting one thing mixed up with another and all that. I agree, tomorrow is a new day =) *hugs* Oh, and personally im a firm believer in a few slurges here and there. =p
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I would totally go over if I was not logging my food intake faithfully. I even try to log ahead of time what I'm planning to eat...that way I can make some better informed choices. Like tonight I was going to have Stuffed Bell Peppers, green beans and mashed potatoes for dinner. Well...when I saw that I was going to be way over, I decided to scale back on the potatoes...lots of calories & carbs, and not as much bang for my buck--nutritionally. I'm also finding that I need to log snacks immediately...and it makes me put things back...like chips, crackers, candy...because I know I have to go log them, and I don't want to see all my hard work for the day go to waste over a couple of bites of "bliss."

Yesterday, I did go over by a few hundred...but when I saw what that innocent cupcake had done to my daily stats, I was suddenly motivated to go do another 1/2 hour of biking.

I would say "don't beat yourself up over a splurge/slip up here and there---tomorrow's a new day" (because it's true in theory), but I also understand that it's easier said than done. So how about thinking about 5 positives...like 1) I had a great (I hope) visit with my mom today, 2) I am aware of my eating habits and am making strides to a healthier life....etc. Get the picture?

Take care!
  • Laeci
    Laeci Posts: 12
    Options
    I've discovered it's very easy to go over 1) when you eat with family (at least with MY family lol) or 2) when you get fast food-ish stuff. Last week I got banana bread at Starbucks, thinking it was a 'healthier' choice, but it turned out to be 500 calories for a little piece of bread! I totally am only buying drinks there from now on =P (I was like 800 calories over that day...) Anyway, if you stick to your guns the rest of the time, it'll all even out in the end.
  • Robin_
    Robin_ Posts: 105
    Options
    So burn 900 extra calories for the next few days, and forget about feeling guilty! Or, just drop 100 calories a day for nine days.....or maybe even a little of both! You have many options! Besides, hopefully, you are not on a "diet", Rather, you are learning to eat differently...and so what if it takes a couple extra days to drop that next pound, big deal! Life is too short to feel guilty over the small stuff! Life is a learning experience....it doesn't come all in one day! Best to all!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    500 cals here.......honestly if you look at a normal day of eating when you were not counting your calories, I bet you would see that you on a normal day consumed WAY more then the 900 you are over.....if I logged the calories that I used to eat it was 2000 to 2400. I am supposed to have no more then 1270.....even going over 500 I am under my old "normal" day....

Hang in there you will be fine, shake your bootie a little longer each day this week..........
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

On any normal day, I may exceed my calories by 100-200. I try to stick near my goals, but if I go a little over, I don't stress it. A few hundred calories is within your built in deficit and you'll still lose weight.

When I have issues is when I hit a nighttime binge. I usually exceed my goal calories by 800-1200 calories. THAT is a problem. I have just come off a weeklong binge and it's been tough.

HOWEVER, even eating THAT badly for a week now, I still haven't gained back more than a pound or two, and some of that is certainly water weight from all the sodium I've inhaled in those chips and cookies and garbage.

Don't beat yourself up over going over by 900 calories every once in a while. Your body will appreciate the shock and it may end up helping you lose an extra pound. :wink:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I had Hooters wings last weekend :embarassed:

Those babies are 860 calories just for 5 of them....along with the beer.....and breakfast and soft pretzel at the mall.....and no workout embarrassed.gif

I was wayyyyy over. Probably around 900 calories myself. I just got right back on it the next day. I did a 90 minute workout and only logged 60 (made up a little bit of it but not all....but you don't want too high of a deficit either because it's not good for your body) I just wrote the day off and moved on. :wink:

As long as it's not a normal thing, and it only happens once in a while, don't let it get ya down. Just get back in it and try not to do it often. :flowerforyou:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Oh! And remember, there is a deficit included in this. So if you have a 500 calorie deficit, then that first 500 of the 900 would = maintain weight. The other 400 is a gain. It's 3500 calories in a lb so it won't make much of a difference. Just a bump in the road. Get right back on it and you'll be up to speed in no time. :flowerforyou:
  • whiteley
    Options
    Any one can mess up from time to time it all depends on the situation at the time. My misses has had the last 2 days off work and i've got to the stage were i've not even bothered fiiling in my food diary or anything because i know it will depress me more by seeing it down there than it does when i dont actually know for sure. 4 day's ago i was asking for help because i was 1300 calories under, just stay strong and work harder the next day that's what i'm going to do.Hopefully you wont have this problem to regulary and you'll be fine
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    I just wanted everyone to know that last night did nothing to me! YAY! anyways I didn't gain so hopefully maybe yesterday just boosted my metabolism? haha I wish. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT- I :heart: this site yayyyyyyyyyyy I am going to work out for like 3 hours today since I have a big concert this weekend that I want to look stunning for haha yayyy have a good day everyone!
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    It happens- even professional athletes and supermodels have bad eating days-
    You can either move on and not feel guilty
    or
    you can step up your excerise here and there and see if you can work off some extra

One thing I've done before and it NEVER works is trying to cut back on eating to make up the 900 calorie overage...it made me insane and eventually lead to more overeating- so I'd avoid that.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Over Christmas there was a day when I went over by (gulp) 2000 calories! lol, just suck it up and get back on track tomorrow. One slip up won't make a difference in the long run. :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Gooch I love your pic! real bodied women! So THAT'S what they look like! lol :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Any one can mess up from time to time it all depends on the situation at the time. My misses has had the last 2 days off work and i've got to the stage were i've not even bothered fiiling in my food diary or anything because i know it will depress me more by seeing it down there than it does when i dont actually know for sure. 4 day's ago i was asking for help because i was 1300 calories under, just stay strong and work harder the next day that's what i'm going to do.Hopefully you wont have this problem to regulary and you'll be fine
  • Mickie17
    Options
    OMGosh!!!!!!!!!!!! 1300 under...my dream...you are sooooooooooooooooo lucky!!!! I'm only "allowed" 1200 calories a day. I'm feeling excited that I still have 70 calories left for today! 1300!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: