The pounds are not dropping!

Options
I'm really struggling to lose the pounds despite rarely going above 1700 calories a day. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

As mentioned above I stick to around 1,700 calories a day. I do weight training 3 times a week, and also play competitive football 3 times a week and yet still no success on the scales.

Someone please help!

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all fondue food on a food scale?
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I see that you have lost some weight in the past going by your profile (25 pounds). How long have you been in a stall?
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I cant seem to lose weight either no matter what I try this chart is good, it mentions medical conditions I had never heard of PCOS but have some of the symptoms, like overian cyst and sleep apnea also my thyriod test come normal so the doctors wont do anything, but Ive got thyroid tumors and hypoglycemia. so a lot agaisnt me. its like I can lose a few lbs at first with things I try then my body rebounds right back again, even when I cut my calories gradualy all the way down to under 1000 calories, its just didnt matter. I just became more fatigued. it like my body decided its going to stay at a high weight no matter what. I think ti would take litteraly a long starvation to get my weight down and that is unhealthy and I cant do it anyway becuase of my health. mabee its just healthier for me to be fat, I dont know. but it is so uncomfortable and is hurting my joints and more fatigue, its just a no win situation. if anyone has any safe herbal or other remedies , I'd love to hear about them .
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    Is your picture recent? To my eyes you don't appear to be overweight.

Have a go at http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/

Are you between a score of 30 and 40 on that calculator? How close to 35 was your score? What is the recommendation in terms of your weight.

It sounds like an attempt at recomposition where you would eat at maintenance and try to increase your muscle mass might be a goal you may want to consider.
  • xows
    xows Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    I see that you have lost some weight in the past going by your profile (25 pounds). How long have you been in a stall?

I've put quite a bit of weight back on. I managed to lose around 89lbs. So now I've decided to do something about it again.

I've been dieting for about 3-4 weeks now and my weight hasn't even budged. If anything I've put on a lb in that time.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Are you between a score of 30 and 40 on that calculator? How close to 35 was your score? What is the recommendation in terms of your weight.

It sounds like an attempt at recomposition where you would eat at maintenance and try to increase your muscle mass might be a goal you may want to consider.

HelloPAV8888, I just used the link on your post. I was curious. I am a 61 year old 5'4" female currently at 158 lbs. I have lost 24 lbs on MFP since 4/1/16 and my goal is 145 lbs. According to this link I am at a score of 38, which is in the acceptable range. The results also stated that I will receive no additional health benefits by reducing to 145. I was pleasantly surprised.

I realize this is only one site's opinion, but I guess my point is this: I do feel great at this weight. I have a lot of energy, I am healthy, strong and active and my clothes fit and look good. I do yoga regularly as well as weights and an hour on the treadmill. But 158 just seems very high to me - even 145 does!!! I see females on MFP of my height and age whose goal is 125-130lbs!!! So I am a bit confused.... do you have any thoughts???

Thank you,
    cbstewart88
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP, the best advice is in the form of the flow chart above. This covers a great deal of the basic complications as to why one is not loosing weight or at a stall.

Go through each step and answer honestly, you may be surprised at the why, and I am ruling out in my post that there are no medication reasons or medications taking to drastically slow weight loss.

edited to add: and you might find this link a bit over the top, but it does point out the real culprit behind all of this.. Buy the food scale if you are not using one, use it with the MFP app and you will loose weight..

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

HelloPAV8888, I just used the link on your post. I was curious. I am a 61 year old 5'4" female currently at 158 lbs. I have lost 24 lbs on MFP since 4/1/16 and my goal is 145 lbs. According to this link I am at a score of 38, which is in the acceptable range. The results also stated that I will receive no additional health benefits by reducing to 145. I was pleasantly surprised.

I realize this is only one site's opinion, but I guess my point is this: I do feel great at this weight. I have a lot of energy, I am healthy, strong and active and my clothes fit and look good. I do yoga regularly as well as weights and an hour on the treadmill. But 158 just seems very high to me - even 145 does!!! I see females on MFP of my height and age whose goal is 125-130lbs!!! So I am a bit confused.... do you have any thoughts???

Thank you,
    cbstewart88

I do not want to derail this thread, but this BMI stuff is really just BS.. BMI has labelled millions of people as obese that should not be considered obese. BMI totally exaggerates thinness in short people and fatness in tall people..

BMI is based on the height and is a complete and inaccurate measure of body fat content.. THIS does not take into account muscle mass, bone density, overall body composition, sex..

this is totally my take on what I know and understand about this, of course all others have their own conclusions.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This is a useful chart for assessing your height and weight. 6rxcav24bp7c.jpeg
    Recommended weights for Women.
    You'll find similar charts for men and women all over the Internet. (Women tend to weight more than men of the same height because we naturally have more curves.)
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Interesting vegplotter. According to THIS graph, I am right on the intersection of "Healthy weight" and "Over weight" if my calculations are correct: 158 lbs = 71 kilograms. So this is not so dissimilar from PAV8888's link..I know my goal weight is my own decision, but for me personally - I find a modicum of encouragement from information (albeit subjective information) that states that I may not be at such an unhealthy weight as I thought I was....
  • xows
    xows Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP, the best advice is in the form of the flow chart above. This covers a great deal of the basic complications as to why one is not loosing weight or at a stall.

Go through each step and answer honestly, you may be surprised at the why, and I am ruling out in my post that there are no medication reasons or medications taking to drastically slow weight loss.

edited to add: and you might find this link a bit over the top, but it does point out the real culprit behind all of this.. Buy the food scale if you are not using one, use it with the MFP app and you will loose weight..

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

I've never really paid any attention to BMI. I'm trying to lose weight so I feel healthier/fitter not to be defined as healthy by a nonsense equation.

I've worked my way through the flow chart and the only part I can't rule out is the medical side.

I have digital weighing scales, I weigh all the food I eat, I log all the food I eat and I don't even eat back the calories I've burnt from exercise.

So I'm just puzzled as to why I can't seem to lose anything. I'm going to stick at it still and see if anything changes within the next couple of weeks.
  • Ameliegr
    Ameliegr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. It's the first time in my life that I actually started dieting, or to put it more correctly, training myself to eat less and more healthily. I have lost 15kg so far and I did manage to lose around 15 more( without changing anything) when I got my thryroid under correct medication a few years back I Do have Hashimoto's which has a small effect on my metabolism but nothing to serious now. The past month I haven't neen losing anything and I've become really frustrated. I started upping my calories in case I was eating too little but that hasn't worked as well. This morning I weighed myself and I was 1kg heavier. I log everything apart from the odd ice tea with 0 kcals I drink and I weigh my food with a scale. So it got me thinking that something else is the culprit here. It's summer time, and where I live the temp is around 34-36 Celcious and the humidity fluctuates from 25% to 70%. That has led to two things. 1) I am not moving as much and have become an almost couch potato, 2) during hot weather the water retention can up your weight by several kg. I think that could be a fairly serious factor. My ring that during the winter falls of my finger, at this moment is leaving a mark.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/experts-body-wieght-ambient-temperature/

what do you think about that?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    xows wrote: »
    I'm really struggling to lose the pounds despite rarely going above 1700 calories a day. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

As mentioned above I stick to around 1,700 calories a day. I do weight training 3 times a week, and also play competitive football 3 times a week and yet still no success on the scales.

Someone please help!

How did you get the 1700 goal? Are you logging when you go above that?
    Are you weighing, measuring, logging everything including cooking oil, condiments, drinks, fruits and vegetables?
    Do you have any medical conditions? Did you just begin an exercise program?

Check that your goal is right.
    Check the accuracy of your logging.
    Give it time.