Help! 30 Days and only lost 1 pound?

Options

Replies

• Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Just thinking about this post. I look at what you're eating and think...well, I did that. And worked out and didn't lose weight either. I was trying to lose about 10 lbs and went up and down for years. I tried every diet known to man. (South beach, carbohydrate addicts, Low carb, jenny craig, weight watchers, etc) I exercised and lifted weights. Finally, I tried to keep exercise consistent and then just played with what i was eating, logging everything for 3 weeks. What worked for me was extra protein, lots of veggies, few carbs. I would exercise first thing in the AM, then eat an omelette with lots of veggies and some cheese and some steel cut oatmeal - but only about 1 cup. Then I'd have some hard boiled egg whites and yogurt at 10:30, a turkey burger with no bun and some cheese or steamed chinese chicken and brocolli with no rice and sauce on the side, then some more egg whites, then dinner was fish and steamed veggies. Another yogurt before bed. That's what worked for me - but it was very restrictive and hard - but it actually looks like more than you are eating. So you coud try that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sorry if someone already said this, but I would ask your doctor. I don't think losing one pound with the low calories is normal that early on. Ask your doc to check your thyroid and other possible culprits.

1 lb per week is too aggressive for someone that has less than 20 lbs to lose. She is only 139 lbs. She needs to aim for 1/2 lb. As you approach a healthy wight you need a smallwr deficit as your body will fight to preserve your body fat.

I agree with this after some time, but not right away. I only had about 20 lbs to lose and am short and in the healthy range, and I have lost about 5 lbs my first month.

During your first month a lot of the weight is water weight due to diet changes. So it's hard to compare that to this situation. Now, if you have been dieting for longer periods of time, then you would have to consider if you were losing muscle as well.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I started in January this year, and my whole first month I didn't lose anything! But I lost in inches in my waist and hips. So you should take measurements and take photos, front and back. You will see a difference better that way. I still have only lost five pounds, but I have gone down a dress size, from 12 to 10, lost four inches off my waist and three off my hips.

I don't know how I can lose so much in inches and lose a dress size and still not lose but only five pounds, but it is happening. And I look much better and feel better. I exercise a lot at the gym, and I am told that by doing so, I am building muscle which weighs more than fat, so it won't show on the scale.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Try netting at least your BMR daily. Log every day, everything you eat and drink! Be consistent with logging and exercise. And do as much of your own cooking as humanly possible!! See websites like Skinnytaste and CookingLight for recipes!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am really confused! I have been dieting for 1 month. I began eating the recommended 1200 calories a day (mfp). I began working out toward the end of week one and burned around 200 calories per day 5-6 days a week ( I have a heart rate monitor). I have only lost 1 pound. On the 18th of March I increased my calorie goal to 1300 calories per day since MFP says that is my BMR. After that change is when I lost one pound, but that is all I have lost! So I am wondering if my calorie goal is still too low? I do eat my workout calories most of the time. I went to the fat 2 fit website and according to them I should be at 1400 calories per day. Any advise?

I've looked over your diary and my main advice would be to eat more vegetables and some fruit. You seem to have one maybe two servings per day on average of vegetables, which really isn't enough. I really do find that adding more vegetables to a meal a)fills me up better so I don't eat as much other stuff and b) helps me lose the weight. I find that the weeks I lose the pounds are the weeks I eat my vegetables.

HTH
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Well it looks like the OP has gotten some good advice and then some really out there advice.

I'm really curious as to why we as humans feel the need to restrict so many things when it comes to diet. I mean, cut out bananas because they have sugar? It's not like theyre loaded with HFCS,, it's fructose and completely natural. Sugar is not bad. Say it with me, sugar is NOT bad. Too much sugar is not good for you and processed refined sugars are worse than natural ones.

My guess as to why the OP has only lost one pound in a month is because she's already pretty light, and only has a little left to lose and she's practically starving herself eating only 1200 a day. Eating less will only make you lose weight to a certain extent, after that, eating less is counter productive. By my calculations, and I'm guessing on age here, she should be eating around 1550 a day.
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose much weight in the first month either and I was probably the most disciplined then as my motivation was the highest. It's called muscles. They take up less room. So although you may not be losing weight you are losing fat.

I don't buy into any of the 'tricks' for losing weight. It's simple math. If you use more calories than you eat you will lose weight.

In 20 weeks I've lost 23 pounds. It's not spectacular but it's progress. Some weeks there's been no drop, others there are two pounds gone.

Eat healthy and keep moving and you will succeed!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I didn't lose much weight in the first month either and I was probably the most disciplined then as my motivation was the highest. It's called muscles. They take up less room. So although you may not be losing weight you are losing fat.

I don't buy into any of the 'tricks' for losing weight. It's simple math. If you use more calories than you eat you will lose weight.

In 20 weeks I've lost 23 pounds. It's not spectacular but it's progress. Some weeks there's been no drop, others there are two pounds gone.

Eat healthy and keep moving and you will succeed!

Don't under cut yourself, 23 lbs in 20 weeks is good.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    your body has no idea what time it is. Eat whenever you want. LISTEN to YOUR body! I eat every night after 9pm. My diary is open. I am 5' 2..weigh 135.8...6lbs from my UGW. I eat about 1150-1200 cals a day..more on a long run.

This. Not eating after a certain time (or what you eat) is a huge myth.
  • abouck
    abouck Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Update: I have purchased a fitbit ultra and found that I was not eating nearly enough. In the past 3 days I was given 1450 calories per day to eat with no exercise at all. I am back on track starting today and hoping that the fitbit is just what I needed!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Update: I have purchased a fitbit ultra and found that I was not eating nearly enough. In the past 3 days I was given 1450 calories per day to eat with no exercise at all. I am back on track starting today and hoping that the fitbit is just what I needed!

Good for you! Give it a few weeks on this new calorie intake and keep up the exercise.. it can be frustrating, but it will pay off. Remember to eat your veggies, drink your water and limit or eliminate processed foods.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing. You are at a "healthy" weight for your height, so focusing on body composition is more important than pure weight loss. Burning maximum fat and building muscle is where you should focus your attention, instead of the scale. :)
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    I have one suggestion as well.
    Make sure you measure yourself. I found this to be very helpful. You can drop inches and not lose a pound.

After some of the advice i seen on this post. I am almost confused. Keep in mind just because it works for person A but not B or C, does not mean it won't work for you or vice versa.
  • abouck
    abouck Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do take measurements and saw no results there either. Based on the fitbit data I was in starvation mode and hopefully now I will start seeing some results. I would like to lose 20-25 pounds and live a healthier lifestyle. I try to drink 64 oz of water per day and I am aiming for 2 fruits and 3 veggies per day for a total of 5. I want to aim for 5 days of workouts per week with a calorie burn of about 300 per workout. Hopefully this will help me reach my goals and build muscle. I plan to try a cardio kickboxing class this weekend. I want to get outside and walk and bike ride now that we have some warmer weather.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the FitBit Ultra. I've had mine for over a month. It will give you great incentive to stay active, and keep on top of your burned calories so you can make sure you are eating enough :-)
  • ATLadonis
    ATLadonis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism slowed down to match your new caloric level. Try intermittent fasting. Read Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    ATLadonis wrote: »
    Your metabolism slowed down to match your new caloric level. Try intermittent fasting. Read Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories.

This Thread is from 2012. Pretty sure the OP isn't going to be back :-)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Who brought this thread up from the dead! I think OP may have already beaten the weight loss game by now surely..

I actually read this until I got to page 2 (like a big dummy) and went "sigh"
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I would start looking at when you are eating. Be sure that each meal is spaced out in 2-3 hour intervals. Regardless of whether you are eating the right amount of calories, you can control how your body burns/stores those calories by your eating habbits. I struggle with this sometimes too. If you eat every 2-3 hours having smaller portions of your calorie goal, your body is constantly burning calories and increasing metabolism. If you wait too long in between meals your body begins switching into storage mode because it doesn't think it will be getting the proper nutrition, thus shutting down the "burn".

Also, look at the nutrients of the foods you are eating. Much easier to burn a healthy 100 calories as opposed to a fatty 100 calories. Makes sense?

Anyway, I hope it helps! Good luck!!

No. None of this is scientific.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread full of briscience and nonsense. What was the point of bumping this up?