Help me maximize my calorie burns.? You know you wanna.

I currently 'workout' 6 days a week. M-W-F is the runtastic squats, pushups and sit ups with usually 30 minutes on the stationary bike. T-T-S is just running and lunges.

My problem? Free time. Work doesn't start until September and I wanna torch as many of those little buggers (calories) as possible without weights or a gym. I always have energy left over and I've been sleeping like crap. I'm doing my own research but want your guys' opinion too.

If I go straight through with it and don't procrastinate, I can be done with my running and lunges by 730am. I'm just starting out running so multiple runs a day is unlikely.

I know this is kinda general but I'm just looking for opinions on what I should do with my free time. Or any advice really. Thanks a lot!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    Take a nap.
  • adambrewington23
    adambrewington23 Posts: 18 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Take a nap.

Wait...really?

• huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Jump rope
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Find a hobby.
    Just because you have more time and want to exercise hours on end each day, doesn't make it a good idea or something that will help you lose weight faster.
  • adambrewington23
    adambrewington23 Posts: 18 Member
    Nap, hobby and jump rope are all on my to do list lol. I don't necessarily want to workout endlessly, but after my workout, I've got 12 hours of awake time that all too often gets filled with eating or sitting around.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Take a nap.

Wait...really?

Yes really. You said you don't sleep well. Sleep is one of the building blocks of healthy living. You exercise plenty and shouldn't trying to do more simply to burn calories. Ignoring your sleep issues and trying to exercise more is like letting your house burn down while you mow the lawn. Makes no sense.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Yeah, get a hobby. You have 12 hours a day to fill? Find something(s) you enjoy doing & go do it/them. Bonus points if it gets you moving. But it doesn't have to.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    IF I had that kind of free time, I would try to learn a new skill like gymnastics, martial arts, or dancing. Feed your mind while torching some calories.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Yoga, go for a walk, meal prep, take an online class.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Why is there such a heavy focus on leg work? Varied exercise would be better. I fully agree with going for walks, doing yoga, dancing, etc. You will feel busier doing different things and/or maximizing your time rather than your calorie burn. There is such a thing as too much.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    What I wouldn't do for just 1/2 those hours of free time a day. I had to think about what I would do if I had this, and if I used those hours wisely, I could re-event my entire house inside and out.. I could also get in some reading, getting back into a hobby I put down over the winter months, and much much more..

I guess if I were a Pokemon Go fan, this would keep me pretty busy and a bit out of touch, but it beats sitting around the house eating I would guess.

OP, broaden your thoughts on things you need to do for yourself besides trying to burn needless calories during the day.. Its totally unnecessary and not very smart on the body in my opinion. Exercise should be healthy for the body and mind.. and not used as an extensive calorie burner. Even if you just go to the mall, or a movie, or a museum, drive somewhere that is not local to have lunch with or without your friends, reconnect with friends you have seen in a while, read a book, get organized, take those naps (I do), there are a million and one things to do with ones time. Plan something every day that takes a couple of those hours.. and before you know it the day with end with something you did positive and stayed out the kitchen and not eating, but even then staying out the kitchen when at home takes discipline too..
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Take up an active hobby. Look into climbing or bouldering, dance classes, martial arts. If you want something active, go for it, but instead of endless exercising, maybe find something you really enjoy that you want to learn.
  • mrmeza123
    mrmeza123 Posts: 34 Member
    Walk when you need to leave the house.