Can someone help a newbie at the gym? I don't know what to do!

Options
I just joined a gym last week and I'm really liking it so far. But I really don't know what to do when I go. The first day I was on the weight machines and probably pushed myself too hard because almost a week later I'm just NOW getting over my arms being so sore. Ever since then, I've been doing lots of cardio on the treadmill, bike and elliptical.
As a beginner, what should I be doing? How do I build up a routine? What days should I do what? Helpppppp

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you,want from your exercise. If you just wanna burn calories, then cardio is great for that. If you want to build muscle, then look for a good beginner's program. I like Stronglifts 5x5 myself, it has an app that logs your sets and times your rest in between, plus it has videos on proper form. I can't remember any others off the top of my head, but a Google search of beginning weight programs should turn some up.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    If at all possible, get one of the instructors to demonstrate correct form for any exercise that can put strain on your back - notably squats, deadlifts, bent-over rowing. Failing that, google for videos showing correct form for these - watch more than one of each to make sure you're getting consistent information.

Then pick one of the begginer routines from here.

Personally, I would recommend spending at least a couple of weeks just getting used to the movements of the exercises in which ever plan you intend to use and getting a feel for how much weight you are comfortable with before running on of the plans seriously
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Do not use any weight bearing machine without receiving instruction. You can do yourself serious long term injury.
    Also, weight bearing exercise won't help you lose weight. For that you need to do cardiovascular exercise like walking or swimming. (I don't recommend jogging as its too percussive - many joggers end up with injuries in later life, because they were not supervised enough.)
    If you enjoy the gym then fine, but it's not an important or essential part of losing weight.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    Do not use any weight bearing machine without receiving instruction. You can do yourself serious long term injury.
    Also, weight bearing exercise won't help you lose weight. For that you need to do cardiovascular exercise like walking or swimming. (I don't recommend jogging as its too percussive - many joggers end up with injuries in later life, because they were not supervised enough.)
    If you enjoy the gym then fine, but it's not an important or essential part of losing weight.

Walking/running is a weight bearing exercise. Also, running does not cause injuries later in life.
    http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees

It would be helpful to know the OP's goals.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Walking/running is a weight bearing exercise. Also, running does not cause injuries later in life.
    http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees

My goal right now is to lose the last 50 lbs to get down to my goal weight. Would be nice to at some point have noticeable abs and manly muscles too. I'm not gonna go into professional bodybuilding or anything, I just wanna look the best I've ever looked in my life
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

My goal right now is to lose the last 50 lbs to get down to my goal weight. Would be nice to at some point have noticeable abs and manly muscles too. I'm not gonna go into professional bodybuilding or anything, I just wanna look the best I've ever looked in my life

I would look at one of the programs in the post above regarding weights. When you mentioned you arms were sore, I wonder if you were doing too many isolation exercises. You will get the most benefit for time spent with compound exercises, those that work more that one muscle group at the same time. If your gym allows for it try to use free weights for most of your exercises.

For cardio I would concentrate or walking for now until you lose a bit more weight. From there if you want to run look at the couch to 5k program.

Start slow on all this so you finish strong. Best of luck.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options

This poor man has injured himself in the gym. He's just the sort of person to overdo it on the running track too.
    Please read posts carefully before commenting. I didn't say that all joggers have injuries. I just noted that a lot do - and far more than swimmers or walkers. A five minute walk in the park won't exercise the heart, but a good long walk will. And it's safe, even if you are suffering upper body injuries.
    I forgive you, because I notice you do finally agree with me and suggest walking for the time being.
  • JayWillisBBA_AATCIS_BA_AAMath
    Options
    The gym is a great place to meet people, make friends and motivate others through your own workout. And take a swim. It's low impact and gets you moving. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh2Yqg1XvvI
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I just joined a gym last week and I'm really liking it so far. But I really don't know what to do when I go. The first day I was on the weight machines and probably pushed myself too hard because almost a week later I'm just NOW getting over my arms being so sore. Ever since then, I've been doing lots of cardio on the treadmill, bike and elliptical.
    As a beginner, what should I be doing? How do I build up a routine? What days should I do what? Helpppppp

Read this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/

Get a programme

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

If you can't bring yourself to do free weights yet then do a decent bodyweight programme
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

But it all comes down to calorie intake for fat loss so don't forget your calorie counting
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • OldHound
    OldHound Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Get "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. This is one of the best programs out there. It's based on compound lifts like Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Presses, etc. Many, many people have used this program and have gotten great results. Free weights are far superior to weight machines. Weight machines limit your range of motion, and can force you to lift in unnatural ways. Remember also, the five most important factors for weight loss:
    1. Diet
    2. Diet
    3. Diet
    4. Strength Training
    5. Cardio

You can't out-exercise a bad diet...
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options

Heaven knows I am no expert. But what I have picked up around here & from the trainer at my gym (which in full disclosure is Planet Fitness so consider the source), anyway . . . cardio will help you lose weight but you have to incorporate weight training or you will be "skinny fat" which basically means you will weigh less but you won't be in the best shape because you didn't build muscle mass. To to that you need strength training / resistance with weights but you are better off doing higher reps / more sets with less weight then low # of reps / sets with high heavy weight. What the trainer told me was find a weight were you can feel it but that is not too heavy. If you are struggling on the 1st 2-3, lower the weight. Then do your set.

Try to do different things each day. If I do the weights, I do a quick 10 minute warm up on a treadmill, then my weight circuit then a 5 minute cool down. I do arms 1 day, abs, then legs. On the days I don't do weights, I do 30 minutes of cardio.

Does that help at all?

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    But, more important - diet. Calorie deficit to lose weight, calorie surplus to gain

I don't think your workout plan was great however the quoted bit is 100% correct. Pick a plan (there are many available online for free), get your nutrition dialed in and make some progress.
    Options
    Even the 2016 Olympic athletes had to start somewhere. For both the men and women, there was at least one day when it was their first day in the gym. And after their fitness-induced injuries, it's again their first day in the gym. I gain self-confidence while watching their results.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    But, more important - diet. Calorie deficit to lose weight, calorie surplus to gain

I don't think your workout plan was great however the quoted bit is 100% correct. Pick a plan (there are many available online for free), get your nutrition dialed in and make some progress.

It was thrown together as an example, but covers everything he needs as someone natty and new to lifting

Disagree... a decent progressive compound lifting programme (starting strength or stronglifts as mentioned above) is all a beginner needs
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It was thrown together as an example, but covers everything he needs as someone natty and new to lifting

Agree that the suggested program is WAY too much for a beginniner.

The squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press and power clean or row as programmed in Starting Strength or Stronglifts are all that a beginner needs to start with.

Assistance and auxillary exercises can be added later after sufficient base strength has been developed and specific supplementary needs/weaknesses can be identified.

Options
    OldHound wrote: »
    [...]

True. It's made in the kitchen. I frequently go through the kitchen and throw cakes, pies, cupcakes and cookies the hell out. The grief I get from others, for throwing their food out, is less than the grief I get from them for being over-weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    OldHound wrote: »
    [...]

True. It's made in the kitchen. I frequently go through the kitchen and throw cakes, pies, cupcakes and cookies the hell out. The grief I get from others, for throwing their food out, is less than the grief I get from them for being over-weight.

Please tell me you are joking