Pizza Time

Options
13»

Replies

• nisilap
    nisilap Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat flatbread- 110 cals. My fav is a tbsp of miracle whip lite, two tbsp Hormel real bacon pieces, thinly sliced romaine, fresh tomatoes, garlic and Italian seasoning....a very yummy Blt pizza w less then 230 cals!!!
  • karly2612
    karly2612 Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use this protein pizza base its not quite as good as the real thing but find it better than a cauliflower crust! It's from the protein bread co
  • catherinegriffin489
    Options
    You could try a paleo pizza base... You can make it with
    4 eggs,
    1/3 cup coconut flour,
    1/3 cup flax mill,
    1/2 cup coconut milk (you could also use regular skimmed milk)
    Mix all of the ingredients until it has the consistency of a pancake batter...
    Add some herbs (I like to add garlic, chili flakes, oregano and basil to the mixture before baking!) Use some parchment paper on the baking tray and add the mixture. Bake ten mins and then flip and bake for another ten mins. Add your toppings and pop it back into the oven for 1-2mins!!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I like to use these:

http://www.flatoutbread.com
  • GingerLee13
    GingerLee13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've also used tortillas, bagel thins, Flat Outs, halved pitas, and lavash. Tortillas and bagel thins are my preferred substitute.

It doesn't quite hit the pizza craving completely, but one thing that I've added into my dinner rotation is to butterfly and pound out a chicken breast and then pan fry it in a little olive oil with garlic and onion powder. After it's cooked through, top it with pizza sauce, toppings, and LF mozzarella and put it under the broiler until the cheese is melted.

• ald014
    ald014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's not a new base idea but I keep mini frozen pizzas on hand just in case a pizza craving hits and I'm feeling lazy. :) I buy Red Baron Single Deep Dish pizzas in bulk from Sam's Club in a 12 pack for under ten bucks but you can also find them in double packs at most grocery stores. They come in cheese and pepperoni varieties and range from 380 to 460 calories and technically you can microwave them but I always bake them off in the oven. They taste great and you get to eat a whole pizza! :)
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like to use mini wonton wrappers as a pizza base! I just add sauce, lowfat mozzarella, and pepperoni - but you can add whatever you like! Sometimes I use chicken and cheddar with BBQ sauce instead, or I add veggies

http://www.hungry-girl.com/weekly-recipes/show/2626-low-carb-pizza-recipes-bell-pepper-pizzas-mini-thin-crust-pizzas

Ingredients:
    12 small square wonton wrappers
    1/2 cup pizza sauce
    2/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    12 slices pepperoni, chopped

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray.

Lay wonton wrappers flat on the sheets, evenly spaced. Bake until edges begin to brown, about 4 minutes.

Carefully flip wonton wrappers. Leaving a 1/4-inch border, top wrappers with sauce, cheese, and chopped pepperoni.

Bake until edges have browned and cheese has melted, 2 - 4 minutes. Eat up! (about 100 calories for two mini pizzas)

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Nobody has ever vetoed Pizza Time. :) I heard that on the radio the other day. I believe it to be true.
  • blk0110k
    blk0110k Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I make pizza pitas all of the time for my kids... mmmm good
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    A lot of suggestions for low carb pizza here but OP asked about low fat. OP, you don't need fat in a pizza base, it traditionally uses olive oil but you can use a lean dough (flour, water, salt, yeast).

The main fat culprit is not the olive oil, though, it's the cheese. Just try reducing the amount, or you could experiment with toppings which don't involve cheese, there are quite a few traditional cheeseless ones.

Ultimately, though, pizza is bread, and calorie wise will always be similar to having sandwiches for dinner. I am happy eating it as often as once a week but any more often and it would become difficult to stick to my calories without getting very hungry. I am happy to go half-wholemeal, which helps, but 100% wholemeal pizza base is a little tough. Lots of salad on the side is another good idea.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Ok.. other than fathead and cauliflower pizza crusts, something super, super simple for just starting out is cutting english muffins in half and spreading on pizza sauce on top of it (not toasted), adding toppings then baking them. Mini pizzas! You could do whole wheat ones which might be ok. I used to add BBQ sauce and pile on chicken for toppings for BBQ chicken pizza.

Use whatever cheese you want, in moderation. Mozza is fine. Just make sure you are getting enough protein to keep you full! Maybe have a side salad with it, or make yourself a batch of baked chicken wings. Nothing wrong with chicken wings at all, until they get breaded and deep fried, then it's a problem lol.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked, pizza bases were pretty low fat! it's what goes on top that isn't!

I know someone uses lavash bread. Flour tortillas would achieve the same thing.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    And yes, I only ever make pizza as a novelty with the kids, who can't eat cheese, so need home made ones.

I typically share a good shop bought one with husband - the ones we like are 5-600 kcals each, that way and the macros are just fine for a main meal. I often can't manage the crusts. The other half of the plate is a load of salad drizzled with decent balsamic vinegar.