4pm sugar low

Options
hi guys..just a prob i have..i get up around 6 am and by around 3 or 4 pm i start to get cold ,tired and craving a coffee and something like biscuits and such..im not diabetic..does this happen to anyone else..i dont wanna head for the cookie jar...any ideas..my doc says try a slice of toast for a pick me up but it doesnt seem to fill the whole..

Replies

• sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat more regularly. Try some peanut butter on wholemeal toast maybe. Just eat BEFORE you hit that point!!
  • dellybellyandbum
    dellybellyandbum Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yeh good idea..thanx i will try and eat something to try and miss the low..
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough for lunch (no less than 300 calories), eat a healthy breakfast, and maybe plan a snack somewhere around 2PM, some fruit or crackers. If you're feeling like that, it means your blood sugar is dropping. If I get like that, I usually eat a slice of whole grain bread and drink some fruit juice or water. Also make sure you're drinking enough water -- dehydration can cause that as well.
  • dellybellyandbum
    dellybellyandbum Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i will try that thanku
  • AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Although too much of any one thing can be bad, a single piece or single serving of fruit stems any craving I usually get.
    Just be careful, although the sugar in fruit is naturally derived, eating it constantly can create digestive and dieting complications.

-With that peanut butter idea, make sure it's not a half inch thick layer. A thin layer usually is enought to get the taste without loading on the extra sugar, salt, and calories.
  • ttrotter1960
    Options
    Try splitting your caloriess into 5 or 6 meals throughout the day. I do that and I am NEVER hungry. It seems like I am always eating.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I only get like that once in awhile, but when I do, I drink a small glass of OJ. Within minutes, I'm back on my feet and feeling fine.
  • AnnaValek
    Options
    I repeatedly snack throughout the day on fruit and veggies while having smaller meals instead of eating 2-3 large meals ad repeatedly receive comments about how I constantly munch. But the faster metabolism is sufficient compensation for the odd stares I get when I start on my 4th apple of the day before 1pm. :3
  • AnnaValek
    Options
    Rice cakes are also delicious and Quaker cereals has a wide assortment of flavors and seasoned types. Of course the cakes still have calorie counts and have to be eaten in approproate portions, the sweet taste is a healthier substitution, though I'm not exactly sure by how much. I suppose it all depends on your individual approach to dieting.
  • cathyAprice
    Options
    Eating 5-6 small meals a day, making sure I get a lot of protein, has helped a lot. :smile:

www.cathyprice.net