Walking

Options
malikahsmith96
malikahsmith96 Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 243 lbs i changed my eating habbits. No soda no bread very little cheese. No pasta and I'm walking/jogging almost 8 miles a day. Is that good enough? Im mostly walking. Ive only lost 13 lbs in the last 30 days. I welcome all comments

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I started at about the same weight and it took me 2.5 months to lose that much. Amazing job!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm 243 lbs i changed my eating habbits. No soda no bread very little cheese. No pasta and I'm walking/jogging almost 8 miles a day. Is that good enough? Im mostly walking. Ive only lost 13 lbs in the last 30 days. I welcome all comments

You have lost 13 lbs in 30 days...more than 2 lbs a week. Yes it is good enough. A rate of 2 lbs a week is good if you are 50+ lbs overweight. It will take time to lose weight in a healthy way.
    Are these changes you can sustain? To lose weight you just need a calorie deficit. You don't have to give up all of those things to have a calorie deficit or walk/jog 8 miles right away. If it is sustainable for you then that is fine.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

13lbs in a month is a good rate of loss, if not a little too fast. You're not on biggest loser!

The walking/running sounds unsustainable to be honest and a recipe for burnout.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

13 pounds in 30 days in not too fast for the first month. I started at 258 and lost 18 in the first month, and am so far down another 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks. With a starting weight similar to ours, it is not uncommon to lose a bit fast at first. For the record, I have my calories set at 2 lbs per week to lose and I have lost this much so far. I don't do anything extreme, I still indulge on sweets here and there. Last night I even had some pasta with my dinner. Was done a pound this morning. OP you don't have to eliminate anything to lose weight, just eat to your calorie goal and don't over do the exercise. The weight will not always come off like this either, so don't be alarmed if it slows down after a few months.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I started at 248 and lost around 15lbs my first month, its not too fast, I ate 1700 cals a day that first month...its normal in someone with alot to lose but expect it to slow down, im 207 now and lose on.average 6lbs a month.
    Dont be so hard on yourself regarding banning foods, all food is fine if u can fit it in. Well done keep it up.
  • amwoods72
    amwoods72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm walking and can't seem to lose more than 7 :( I have been going a little over a month. I have added a few weight machines too so I could be building a little muscle which could be why the scale isn't moving, but clothes don't feel any different either. Not sure what is going on :( Keep at it.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Walking is good. Get yourself a step tracker (loads of cheap secondhand ones in Ebay) and aim for 10,000 steps a day. That's far less than 8 miles. Even if you do 3 or 4,000 steps that's fine for the time being.
    Buts it's the calorie counting I think you need to focus on. Don't cut out particular foods. It won't work. Anything is 'allowed ', but you are going to need to eat less.
    Concentrate on a light wholesome and balanced diet - as low as you feel you can do (within reason).
    You have loads of fat stores to burn so you should lose weight fast.
    Once you've lost half your target weight add back calories and activity gradually.
    Good luck. No need to overdo the exercise. Be kind to yourself. Think long term lifestyle - not short term diet.
  • edean331
    edean331 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are doing awesome!! Congrats
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Great job! I started out 50 days weighing a little less than you. I just finished a 3 mile trail walk and I'm feeling pretty proud right now.

I won't reach goal weight until next summer but this time I'm focused on making sure I can eat and walk this way for the rest of my life.

You've got this!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Some of the initial drop will be water weight. However 13lbs in a month is great. Keep up the good work
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    That's great. I walk everyday and keep losing weight. I've noticed my fitness levels increasing and am able to walk up hills and stairs a lot easier.
  • baleighbee
    baleighbee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! Great job! Keep up the great the work and make sure you are getting a well rounded diet (and lots of veggies).
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    First thought: 13 pounds in 30 days is AWESOME. Drop the 'only'. But also, its worth noting that 13/30 is very fast - likely a few pounds of water weight in there - and its not likely to continue. I would not want you to be discouraged if you 'only' lose 4-8 per month going forward.

Being more active, and walking/jogging 8 miles per day is also AWESOME if that is something that fits your lifestyle. I read where Olympic hopefuls for the 10k event run an average of 120 miles a week!

There is no need to eliminate foods though, unless you have allergies or other reasons to avoid certain things. Think of your caloric & nutritional needs as a budget. Make sure your nutritional needs are met, and then if you have calories left, its ok to spend them on other things if you want.

Good luck!