Barbell

Options
If I work out one hour with a barbell 3x a week will I get good results? Will I get strong arms and thighs? I want to transform my body and feel strong. Should I do more than 3x a week?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Well that depends on your program, if you're hitting muscle groups enough, have proper form, and have a progressive overload.

What do you plan on doing with said barbell?
  • fitnellieforlife
    fitnellieforlife Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I mostly want to work on my arms to get rid of my flab.
  • fitnellieforlife
    Options
    Thanking for the advice. I will definitly take it!
  • fitnellieforlife
    Options
    Thankyou*
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thanking for the advice. I will definitly take it!

So what's your next step if you take the advice? Look for a program with a progressive overload. Watch videos on form. Strong Lifts 5x5 is recommended a lot here.
  • fitnellieforlife
    Options
    Yes I will look for a program. I feel stupid asking but what are strong lifts 5x5 ?
  • fitnellieforlife
    Options
    Never mind I looked it up online.
  • fitnellieforlife
    Options
    Found lots of info.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Don't feel stupid! So glad you looked. What do you think?
  • fitnellieforlife
    Options
    I think it's awesome. I'm getting s personal trainer in a few weeks and I will show her what I want to work on. I'm glad strong lifts.com have videos that I can show to her.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I think it's awesome. I'm getting s personal trainer in a few weeks and I will show her what I want to work on. I'm glad strong lifts.com have videos that I can show to her.

That's great. I used a trainer to learn my squat and deadlift, then started on a program too. I used the trainer's program for awhile but really wish I had just started with Strong Lifts. There are other programs similar to this, one is Starting Strength. Then there are programs that have a lot more body building type of work to go along with the heavy compound lifts (like in SL). I personally don't enjoy those programs but I did learn a lot from reading through them, New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves to name a couple.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Just want to say that the trainer may give you her own customized plan, and that's totally ok. You can easily reach your goal without using a 7 foot barbell. :+1:
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I completely changed my body doing strong lifts, (1 hr) twice a week. I've been doing it since Jan, and I've dropped a pant size, lost 10 lbs, and have strong arms and shoulders. I did all of the strong lifts exercises: squats, deads, etc. However, I didn't increase the weight as fast as the author suggests. I started super low, and worked on form. Once I had the form locked down, I started going up on the weight, and pushing hard. For me, the most important thing was listening to my body, and giving myself easy days when I need them, and getting a lot of guidance with form. I have't suffered any injuries, which is huge for me. Good luck!
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I just met with a trainer to go over squat form etc. He said SL 5x5 is an excellent program. I'm going on 3 months now and it is helping but ya, it won't get rid of flab. I notice a difference in my body overall. I still have 50lbs to lose so I want to keep muscle while I get rid of the weight. Good luck!